2015-2016 NBA Thread

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 04:56 PM)
If it were true and even if it was only Gar only saying this, what would it say about Paxson if Joe Cowley knew this was going on and he did not, and what would it say about Paxson that he still employed Gar?

I would love if they both were out the door, but I will give them the benefit of doubt on this one. Sabotaging a coach and a season like that seems pretty unlikely to me.

Agree, I don't see how Paxson could allow for something like that to stand. Pax turning a blind eye is just as bad as Pax being a part of it. Unless of course Pax said that is BS and stood up and that isn't being reported. Who knows, all I know is, I'm 100% certain Gar needs to go, and my rope on Pax is extremely short, if not to the point if this is legit, he should too be gone (and I've been long an advocate to keep him and allow him to bring in his own guy).

Marks would have been a great hire to come in and replace Gar (with Pax staying in his current role).

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 07:28 PM)
McDermott with 30, Bulls beat Toronto for the 8th straight time

This team, healthy, can beat any team but Cleveland in a 7 game series. I firmly believe that. Doesn't mean they will. It sickens me how badly and how toxic everything has become thanks to Gar (and possibly Pax). I'm not saying this is a championship favorite, but this should have been a team that with the right bounce (i.e., Cleveland injury) was playing in the finals and I was okay with that. I would never advocate breaking up a team when you are in that position (I absolutely would advocate trying to get better, but blowing things up when you are that close is crazy talk in my opinion).

On the flipside, when you are floundering near .500, you clearly have to change things up. I just wish I saw something out of Hoiberg that made me have confidence in him righting the ship and getting players to buy-in. He seems to be failing miserably at the "buy-in" part and that tells me we need a bit of a roster overall so that new players have no choice but to buy-in. If GM's had a brain, they'd have realized how f***ing stupid it was to think that replacing of the best coaches in the league with a raw college coach could actually be the difference between a NBA championship and going out in the 2nd round, LOL.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Feb 20, 2016 -> 07:44 AM)
Even with their loss last night, Warriors only have to go to 25-4 to break the Bulls' record. Fairly doable if they could stay healthy.

25 out of 29 is still a 70 win pace. Obviously they could do it, but it won't be easy. It will be interesting to see if they are right on the record, how important it is for them to break it in the end. Or do they just make it a priority to be in the best shape possible for the playoffs.

It could be that they are so good, like those Bulls teams, where it doesn't matter if your guys are rested for the playoffs. Is anyone going to beat them 4 times? Not as long as their top guys are playing.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 20, 2016 -> 08:13 AM)
25 out of 29 is still a 70 win pace. Obviously they could do it, but it won't be easy. It will be interesting to see if they are right on the record, how important it is for them to break it in the end. Or do they just make it a priority to be in the best shape possible for the playoffs.

It could be that they are so good, like those Bulls teams, where it doesn't matter if your guys are rested for the playoffs. Is anyone going to beat them 4 times? Not as long as their top guys are playing.

They are a young team with a bunch of competitive players. Listening to Steph's interviews, he had his sight set on the record since the early parts of the season. And the fact that they are young and the core players are durable for the most part could mean that resting down the stretch is less important than for a team like the Spurs.

The debate that could become interesting is, would 73 wins and the record of most wins of all time be more important and a more impressive feat than back to back titles? And that's not to say that they couldn't repeat if they get less rest down the stretch.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Feb 20, 2016 -> 10:51 AM)
They can't lose anymore than 1 more game the rest of their trip, imo, to have a shot. And it's going to be tough. They've got the Clippers, who have been killin' it without Blake, tonight. Then they've got the Hawks, Heat, Magic and Thunder.

Those teams aren't that great IMO. It's the schedule that will kill them if anything, not necessarily the teams. The Thunder got beat by the Pacers i believe last night. Heat are hobbled at this point. Magic are a tough young team. Hawks are going through the motions it seems.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Feb 20, 2016 -> 01:47 PM)
They are a young team with a bunch of competitive players. Listening to Steph's interviews, he had his sight set on the record since the early parts of the season. And the fact that they are young and the core players are durable for the most part could mean that resting down the stretch is less important than for a team like the Spurs.

The debate that could become interesting is, would 73 wins and the record of most wins of all time be more important and a more impressive feat than back to back titles? And that's not to say that they couldn't repeat if they get less rest down the stretch.

That one's easy. No one thinks the 2007 Patriots are the best team of all time, yet they're the only 16-0 regular season in the NFL.

QUOTE (AustinIllini @ Feb 19, 2016 -> 07:07 AM)
Blackhawks/Cubs 1, 1A

3) Bears

4) Bulls

5) White Sox

White Sox have a much better chance than the Bulls. Bulls are in basketball hell. They can't get out of the East and if they could they can't best the Warriors/Thunder/Spurs anyway. If the Sox get in the playoffs, they can win the whole damn thing with their pitching.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Feb 21, 2016 -> 07:01 AM)
White Sox have a much better chance than the Bulls. Bulls are in basketball hell. They can't get out of the East and if they could they can't best the Warriors/Thunder/Spurs anyway. If the Sox get in the playoffs, they can win the whole damn thing with their pitching.

this is a really nice post.

i would change only a couple of things.

ref to the bulls, they are in basketball hell, b/c of 2 things, #1 being the most important. they have a some really lousy contracts that needs to come of the books whether thru a trade or whatever. that it is what is holding back the team..... roster flexibility.

the #2 is the team does not see how great this team can be, as in the past teams, b/c of their spending $$ philosophy.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 20, 2016 -> 06:55 PM)
That one's easy. No one thinks the 2007 Patriots are the best team of all time, yet they're the only 16-0 regular season in the NFL.

Right, and if the Warriors end up at 71-11 or even tie 72-10 and win the championship, most would still consider 95-96 Bulls to be the GOAT. To be considered as the GOAT team definitively, they'd at least have to both break the record and win it out.

I am in the camp that believes there's a champion crowned every season, but the record for most wins is the more exclusive honor. JVG basically said the similar thing last night after the Clippers game. There's no reason they shouldn't go for it if they are in position to do so at the season's end.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 06:28 AM)
Great games last night for Rose (again), Moore, Portis, McDermott, and Dunleavy

1st quarter Drose was just ridiculously quick. Ridiculous. He slowed the pace down a bit in the 2nd half, but still had a huge 4th quarter. Interior defense was atrocious and the team yet again choked away and withered with a big lead. I continue to be frustrated with Hoiberg. I see so much stupidity out of the team night in / night out and I feel his laissez-faire style just doesn't work. For example, anyone watch Tony Snell at the end of the 2nd quarter. Rose screaming for the ball, Pau screaming for the ball, nope, we get Snell for like 15 seconds of stupidity.

I did notice at times, we were far more crisp offensively, but you have to remember the Lakers are dismal. Byron Scott makes Hoiberg look like a genius and we all know my current opinion of Hoiberg (prove me wrong Fred, please god prove me wrong).

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 22, 2016 -> 08:41 AM)
The Lakers have a few really nice talents. I think the real reason they only have 11 wins is because this year is all about Kobe chucking them up. Russell, Randle and Clarkson isn't a bad start.

Byron Scott has been very poor with how he has handled Russell and Randle in particular. Randle has the makings of a very good player and I happen to like Russell. I do agree with you that the whole "kobe" side show has been bad for the Lakers but it is absurd how bad Byron Scott is. He has been extremely inconsitent with his young talent and it seems like the org in general is a little confused with who its pieces are to build around vs. not build around. I agree with you, those three particular players are good. None of them are your #1, but if they can get Simmons, all of a sudden, they are a far more attractive place for Durant (plus one other free agent signing).