White Sox decline option on Alexei Ramirez

Whisox05

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you imagine having an infield of Olt or Beckham at 3B, Saladino at SS, Sanchez or Micah at second and Abreu at first? With all due respect to Abreu, that's by far the worst infield in baseball 2016 and one of the worst in Sox history.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 04:40 PM)
Can you imagine having an infield of Olt or Beckham at 3B, Saladino at SS, Sanchez or Micah at second and Abreu at first? With all due respect to Abreu, that's by far the worst infield in baseball 2016 and one of the worst in Sox history.

No, why are you imagining that? It's November 4th. Why would that be the plan?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 04:40 PM)

Yes I can imagine it. I can also imagine myself with Kate Upton.

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 03:23 PM)
I'm genuinely shocked. Thought for sure the FO would make the wrong decision of picking up the option. Now please just let him walk all together unless he takes a 1 year $5M deal(which I doubt)

I say forget the 1 year deal even. It is time for him to go. He is below replacement level, and his defense is declining rapidly every year. He's not going to get better with age. The Sox need a better plan than "I hope he has a big bounce back at 35".

He had a great career here and was mostly under appreciated nationally, but the Sox have to get better at learning when to cut ties.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 02:09 PM)
I thought you can sign your own free agents now.

Unless all the beat writers and respected other Sox media that are reporting it are wrong... which I suppose is possible. They are all saying the 7th.

QUOTE (Vance Law @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 03:03 PM)
They wouldn't make a gentleman's agreement to do that. They would just make an agreement to do that. They would have announced that agreed upon contract if they had one.

No, because they can't announce deals earlier than deals are allowed.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 04:35 PM)
Unless all the beat writers and respected other Sox media that are reporting it are wrong... which I suppose is possible. They are all saying the 7th.

No, because they can't announce deals earlier than deals are allowed.

The most likely scenario is that each side knows what the other is looking for, and they will work quickly to narrow the gap for an agreement.

I'd say 90% of Soxtalk did not see this coming. Sure as hell surprised me. I have read few, if any, offseason plans involving a restructured Alexi contract.

If it's a restructured deal, I'm sure Hahn told Alexi the money saved would allow them to sign an additional FA. Of which would be geared towards 3B or 2B. If he leaves, I commend Hahn for atleast recognizing this collection of players isn't working and attempting something different. It's easy to sit back and say "alexi is the least of our problems" while accepting a below replacement level offensive and defensive player.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 05:46 PM)
I'd say 90% of Soxtalk did not see this coming. Sure as hell surprised me. I have read few, if any, offseason plans involving a restructured Alexi contract.

If it's a restructured deal, I'm sure Hahn told Alexi the money saved would allow them to sign an additional FA. Of which would be geared towards 3B or 2B. If he leaves, I commend Hahn for atleast recognizing this collection of players isn't working and attempting something different. It's easy to sit back and say "alexi is the least of our problems" while accepting a below replacement level offensive and defensive player.

Semi-surprising, but also intriguing if they move on completely.

Now, if they also realize Tyler Flowers isn't entitled to a lifetime contract due to pitch framing, Avi due to youth and mini-Miggy potential, not to ride LaRoche all season long in the hopes of extracting some value if he's still struggling AND that we haven't had a reliable 3b since Joe Crede, we'll be all set.

Oh, and also realizing Sanchez and Saladino are super utility players but not regulars (along with Trayce as the outfield equivalent of that)...

Do you believe in miracles?

QUOTE (greg775 @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 03:40 PM)

In my wildest dream I cannot imagine Beckham back with the Sox next year. I hope that I am right.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 02:46 PM)

I'm somewhat surprised . I made it known I didn't want the Sox to pick up his option. I'll guess right now he won't be back but if he is it'll be roughly a 4-5 million 1 year contract laced with incentives.

QUOTE (chitownsportsfan @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 08:17 PM)
Holy f***. BEST NEWS EVER! Dude is likely to be a 1 WAR player next year. Chicago has plenty of middle infield options that will cost nothing that can put up 1 WAR. Time to see if Saladino or Sanchez can cut it there.

Hate to burst your bubble, but this doesn't mean he won't be returning, and it's actually likely that he does return.

QUOTE (Saufley @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 07:03 PM)
In my wildest dream I cannot imagine Beckham back with the Sox next year. I hope that I am right.

And, hitting 8th for your 2016 Chicago White Sox, from the University of Georgia, starting shortstop Gordon Beckham.

Cue tired out walk-up music and Hawk adulation.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 08:40 PM)
And, hitting 8th for your 2016 Chicago White Sox, from the University of Georgia, starting shortstop Gordon Beckham.

Cue tired out walk-up music and Hawk adulation.

Perhaps the worst part of that was "hitting 8th" :lol:

QUOTE (Saufley @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 07:03 PM)

Yes, enough of Beckham. I can't wait until Danks is gone after 2016 and we're done with the "core" of those bad post 2008 teams.

If nothing else, Hahn please try someone else for the exact limited production. I just want to see another face aside from Beckham's frat boy mug for more than half a season. And this time it should be permanent

Very surprised. I don't see him re-signing. He'll get at least a 2/$15M from somebody out there.

This.

Why pay Alexei $10M for 1 year when he doesn't factor into future plans.

Let him go...He can secure $15M or more over the course of several years with another club.

He's just not a fit anymore with $ being mismanaged on guys like LaRoche and Robertson.

Neither are what we need now... Need youth, hitting, OBP, defense more than anything...protect our pitching.

Alexei doesn't help with this at all!

Team management is hopefully on the right track now.

And by the way - Some of you guys needs to stop sucking Hahn's schwantz.

He's not proven d*ck as far as I can see. For every Abreu, I see a LaRoache, Beckham Part II, Bonafacio, Robertson (good deal, bad timing), and also missed opportunities....

This team is FAR from being good. It's a damn miracle they weren't dead last (a 2 win accomplishment, BTW).

Edited by Ballz-n-Strikes

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Nov 4, 2015 -> 11:46 PM)

Why do a lot of people think he's gonna get a restructured deal with the Sox? He's a decent shortstop. He's actually above average and has a little pop in his bat. He's gonna get 12-15 million a year with somebody, believe it or not.