White Sox targeting OF Justin Upton

GGajewski18

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 10:38 PM)
I think losing Melky hurts this team more then trading LaRoche and eating half or more of his salary.

In reality Thompson will probably be the 4th OF

I agree about Melky but the problems with LaRoche are; would the Sox eat half his salary and what teams would be interested? Don't get me wrong, I'm all for the idea of trading LaRoche, its just easier said than done.

After what we seen in Avi last year, I'm willing to give Thompson a shot at playing every day to see what he can do and continue with Shuck as the 4th outfielder.

Edited by BlackSox13

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 10:24 PM)
I'm not sure why people are so down on Melky. I think he is a piece that we should keep. His offense is better then what Thompson or LaRoche will offer

Based on what? His lofty .709 OPS?

And Trayce and his .850 OPS and impeccable D is a 4th OF, while the declining Melky and his .709 OPS and clownish defense and play is a keeper. I realize Tracy's OPS isn't sustainable, but I'll take a chance that he can at least equal Melky's .709.

I have no doubt that at least 1 of Trayce, Erik J or Micah J get traded for a decliner or for some career year that Williams is fawning over. It wouldn't surprise me if they trade all 3.

I'm okay with signing Upton, IF they clear out the riff raff. And if it's an alternative to trading for another Williams rent-a-career-year, I'm all over it.

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 10:53 PM)
Based on what? His lofty .709 OPS?

And Trayce and his .850 OPS and impeccable D is a 4th OF, while the declining Melky and his .709 OPS and clownish defense and play is a keeper. I realize Tracy's OPS isn't sustainable, but I'll take a chance that he can at least equal Melky's .709.

I have no doubt that at least 1 of Trayce, Erik J or Micah J get traded for a decliner or for some career year that Williams is fawning over. It wouldn't surprise me if they trade all 3.

I'm okay with signing Upton, IF they clear out the riff raff. And if it's an alternative to trading for another Williams rent-a-career-year, I'm all over it.

Now I have no idea but how many players on the Royals or Mets had an OPS of .709 or lower (looked them up, stats below)? Not every player in a lineup for a playoff team is going to be good or great. I think Melky can be a role player and I expect him to be better next year. He has been here one year and he had an average year. He had a pretty bad start to the year (first two months OPS .557) and he was able to get that up to end the year at .709.

Salvador Perez OPS- .706

Alcides Escobar OPS- .614

Alex Rios OPS- .640

Ruben Tejada OPS- .688

Wilmer Flores OPS- .703

Eric Campbell OPS- .607

Michael Cuddyer OPS- .699

Ruben Tejada OPS- .688

You can have good role players in that range that will help you win. Melky also had more RBI's and higher average then any of those players mentioned above. He is valuable.

I get not wanting to lose the draft pick, as that would be a downer. But the Sox want to try to utilize their window during the current primes of Abreu and Sale and Quintana. These guys are amazing RIGHT NOW. They may be peaking now and not be as good 4 years from now when that 2016 draft pick would be contributing to the team.

Upton was a 3.6 WAR player in a huge pitcher's park. He was a 4 WAR player in 2014, and he has been a 6 WAR player in the past. This dude just turned 28 a few months ago. He has probably 3 or 4 more years of really quality baseball left in him. Sluggers don't typically hit the market at age 28.

Fangraphs crowdsourced him at 6 yrs/$120M. That's fair value for a 3-4 WAR player. And remember, whatever amount of years you would want to give a player, add another year if he's a FA.

If the Sox sign him, expect it for 6/$120-125M or even 7 yrs/$135 or something with that 7th year being an option.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 09:35 PM)
Cespedes would be a much better option due to defensive value and lack of pick compensation, but for those reasons he will come at a higher price as well. I could see 6/$150 for him, honestly.

I think both guys will get more, honestly.

Upton probably something like 6/140 and Cespedes like 7/180

QUOTE (TheFutureIsNear @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 09:00 PM)

Trade Avi + a decent prospect for Lawrie

Bring back Alexei last minute

Sound about right?

As long as we could move LaRoche too and put Melky at DH. LF Eaton, CF Trayce, RF Upton should be solid for a few years.

QUOTE (Chilihead90 @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 11:33 PM)
I get not wanting to lose the draft pick, as that would be a downer. But the Sox want to try to utilize their window during the current primes of Abreu and Sale and Quintana. These guys are amazing RIGHT NOW. They may be peaking now and not be as good 4 years from now when that 2016 draft pick would be contributing to the team.

Upton was a 3.6 WAR player in a huge pitcher's park. He was a 4 WAR player in 2014, and he has been a 6 WAR player in the past. This dude just turned 28 a few months ago. He has probably 3 or 4 more years of really quality baseball left in him. Sluggers don't typically hit the market at age 28.

Fangraphs crowdsourced him at 6 yrs/$120M. That's fair value for a 3-4 WAR player. And remember, whatever amount of years you would want to give a player, add another year if he's a FA.

If the Sox sign him, expect it for 6/$120-125M or even 7 yrs/$135 or something with that 7th year being an option.

I agree with you sir.

It is a comp pick that we just got a few days ago, are people that attached to it? I would much rather have the 28 year old who hit 15 of his 26 home runs in one of the best pitcher's park. I hope we get him

100% behind them going after Upton.

Sox need impact bats, and the only way you're gonna get em is if you either A. Trade Sale/Q B. Trade some top prospects or C. Make a move like this.

C. To me is the best route, especially when they would still have 2 picks in the top 50.

Hypothetically speaking, would you trade Spencer Adams for Justin Upton straight up?

MLB Network guys talked about Upton as a fit for the White Sox. Said he would provide the offense we need but one said Cespedes would be a better fit in his opinion because we need a spark plug to add to the team. Said it would be good for Abreu and Cespedes to have inner competition

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 11:48 PM)
It's a sad state of affairs, but while the picks are incredibly valuable, how confident are we in the Sox to develop that talent? That isn't a pass for the Sox in anyway, but if we are just going on what the club has shown us the last 15+ years, do we feel confident that the Sox will draft and develop a 3.5 WAR type player with the 35th pick in the draft, specifically on offense? I don't.

I like the idea of Upton. His age is very attractive, and I don't see a huge drop of in numbers at least for the first 3 years of the deal.

Pitcher- 45%

Hitter- 5%

QUOTE (scs787 @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 11:45 PM)
100% behind them going after Upton.

Sox need impact bats, and the only way you're gonna get em is if you either A. Trade Sale/Q B. Trade some top prospects or C. Make a move like this.

C. To me is the best route, especially when they would still have 2 picks in the top 50.

Hypothetically speaking, would you trade Spencer Adams for Justin Upton straight up?

And that's kind of how I am looking at it. What are the odds a comp round pick is going to become a 3-4 WAR player for a couple years? Incredibly, incredibly small. It's not like we are trading a top prospect for Upton. The guy we draft at #26-#29 may end up never even becoming a top prospect. Keon Barnum was a 1st RD comp pick in 2012. Where is he now?

I love the idea of 2 picks in the top 30, but we aren't in a full rebuild mode. We have a window now and we need to utilize it.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 12:03 AM)
Nightengale simply said he thinks Upton ends up with the White Sox, but he didn't say they were talking at this time or anything really. He was just guessing where each FA ends up.

He's pretty connected with the White Sox organization obviously from the news we've seen him break over the years. I doubt that it's just a guess based on zero evidence or no talk.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 09:59 PM)
That his info came from Nightengale.

To be honest I wasn't sure of the exact timeline on who said what first. I said what I said just so everyone doesn't inundate Rabbit with PM's like Rock Raines used to get. But hey if Rabbit said it first and he gets hit with a bunch of PM's don't blame me .

Outside of Spencer Adams, when was the last time someone was excited about the Sox 2nd and 3rd picks that they've made? I get that people want to take advantage of these 3 picks but what are the chances the Sox actually make 3 good picks? Picks to bolster the farm are nice but there are no guarantees with these picks. Everyone sees what the Cubs have done, but Baez, Bryant and Schwarber were all first round picks, Russell was traded for and Soler was a signing. It wasn't like they all came from the same draft. Justin Upton is one hell of a player for giving up the extra pick and some money that none of us won't have to pay him.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 6, 2015 -> 10:25 PM)
I posted proof on Twitter (@chisoxraBBit) that shows I said it before Nightengale. Nightengale is very connected with the Sox FO and specifically Kenny Williams so they utilize him in ways unknown to me. This obviously doesn't mean it's going to happen but the Sox are entertaining a few QO-attached FAs and all I know is Upton is the guy they deem best fit.

Yea I went back in both threads (this one and the Lawrie one to try and connect the dots. When I couldn't do that I looked up your twitter and you said it first. I'm just saying you are setting yourself up for all the Soxtalkers to PM you constantly regarding inside info. But none of my business if you can handle it or just refer everyone to your Twitter.

My problem with Upton is first with the length of contract and AAV required for us to outbid everyone else, and second with how it potentially limits further moves. If we weren't near our anticipated payroll mark already, having Upton would damn near push us over. We'll have significantly upgraded RF, now what about 3B, SS, or 2B? We still realistically need atleast one or two more holes plugged, and even that still may not be enough!

A followup question is IF they were to sign Upton, does that now make trading Quintana more or less likely? I understand Upton is an all-in KW Xbox signing, but how I figure is either way they'll be short. Either the rotation remains entact and 1/3 of our lineup in a tough division is still AAAA with little money to upgrade, or Quintana is dealt (obviously depleting the rotation) for a combination of one/two ML players and prospects. Our lineup with Upton AND whatever Q gives us could be a HUGE upgrade. Then, come 2017 we'd hopefully have Montas and/or Fulmer ready. Alternatively, if the rotation remained it could be elite with Quintana and those two ready. We'd also be far more certainty about whether trading Q is feasible depending on the progress of our prospects

One thing is for sure. If we sign Upton, that will be it for our organization. He's so expensive it'll be the Sox FO risking it all thinking one power bat to go with Abreu is all we need. The signing will cripple our organization financially so it's a last-gasp type of signing.

I'll say this. If we get Upton, we need to ONLY play LaRoche against righties. He's an automatic out vs. lefties.

So when a righty pitches we got in order Melky, Abreu, Upton, LaRoche, Avi. On paper, a little bit of pop anyway. If LaRoche sees any at bats against lefties, our organization is a joke.

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 09:04 AM)
One thing is for sure. If we sign Upton, that will be it for our organization. He's so expensive it'll be the Sox FO risking it all thinking one power bat to go with Abreu is all we need. The signing will cripple our organization financially so it's a last-gasp type of signing.

I'll say this. If we get Upton, we need to ONLY play LaRoche against righties. He's an automatic out vs. lefties.

So when a righty pitches we got in order Melky, Abreu, Upton, LaRoche, Avi. On paper, a little bit of pop anyway. If LaRoche sees any at bats against lefties, our organization is a joke.

i really wasn't going to rant but screw it ..

i agree ... this is nothing but a pr move, quasi kw and the owners. this is the full 20 mil plus the sox wanted to spend. it is just to compete for headline news against the northside team with kris bryant and rizzo and that rookie, i do not have time to look at his spelling of his name.

pr move to hope to bring in the excitement or to compete for it in the media. are they really that shortsighted in their thinking, do they really think that less of the sox fans on not being intelligent to see this????

they will maybe make a token gesture and maybe get lawrie.

there are options out there.