White Sox targeting OF Justin Upton

GGajewski18

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There's a reason a guy with this much talent has been moved around as often as he has been. I'd stay away from him. And if Kenny Williams "loves" Upton, that's even more reason to stay FAR away.

This is Hahn's show (supposedly) not Kenny's.

Mark

QUOTE (raBBit @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 12:42 PM)
He's been on three teams. The team that drafted him started to suck so they traded him. Then the team he got traded to changed FOs and started a rebuild. Unless you have an actual reason to put an indictment on Upton you shouldn't, because your logic is flawed here.

It usually is, no?

I'm on the fence here but while Cabrera would fit the patchwork mold, desperation move for 2016 that many are afraid of, I don't think a move for Upton would be the same, he'd be helping us for many seasons beyond next year. So even if you don't think the Sox will contend next year, Upton can still help in 2017-2019 when we'll presumably be in a better position to contend.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 08:12 PM)
I'm on the fence here but while Cabrera would fit the patchwork mold, desperation move for 2016 that many are afraid of, I don't think a move for Upton would be the same, he'd be helping us for many seasons beyond next year. So even if you don't think the Sox will contend next year, Upton can still help in 2017-2019 when we'll presumably be in a better position to contend.

big problem. if this is all the sox do, if you think last yr the owners were pissed for the lack of fans coming out, they will have an heartache this yr.

they want instant rtn on their investment.

Edited by LDF

As a long-term move, Upton makes sense on the surface -- the swing in productivity on both sides of the ball from Avi to Upton would be staggering, and the guy is only 28 -- but the cost is high, even if he's "worth it" in terms of dollars to productivity.

Realistically, if you're going to have "building block" players that eat up ~$20-25m of your yearly payroll, you have to be willing to continually increase said payroll to patch up the holes that inevitably appear elsewhere. The Dodgers make it work, but the Sox have yet to show such a tendency.

Otherwise, it ends up as more of a "HAIL MARY" move, like the Padres just became famous for. I can't support a move for Upton in that context.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 03:31 PM)
As a long-term move, Upton makes sense on the surface -- the swing in productivity on both sides of the ball from Avi to Upton would be staggering, and the guy is only 28 -- but the cost is high, even if he's "worth it" in terms of dollars to productivity.

Realistically, if you're going to have "building block" players that eat up ~$20-25m of your yearly payroll, you have to be willing to continually increase said payroll to patch up the holes that inevitably appear elsewhere. The Dodgers make it work, but the Sox have yet to show such a tendency.

Otherwise, it ends up as more of a "HAIL MARY" move, like the Padres just became famous for. I can't support a move for Upton in that context.

If you're going to sign Upton for this year I can't fathom why you'd have let Alexei walk.

QUOTE (Chet Kincaid @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 02:36 PM)
National League bats scare the hell out of me. Upton and Frazier could turn out to be American League busts.

Yeah the Yankees should really think twice about signing Harper when he hits free agency in a few years because he could be an American League bust.

Sign Justin Upton to a 7/147M deal (MLBTR projection)

Trade Avi Garcia+ for Brett Lawrie

Sign Alexei Ramirez 1/7.5M

Sign Matt Albers 1/2.5

Payroll: 135M (Current=~95M+10M(Arbitration) + 21(Upton) + 7.5(Alexei) + 2.5 (Albers)) Lawrie included in arbitration figure. I think JR can be convinced to spend more given what's coming off the books next year. Might as well go all in.

VS RHP VS LHP

1. Eaton CF Eaton CF

2. Melky RF Melky DH

3. Abreu 1B Abreu 1B

4. Upton LF Upton LF

5. LaRoche DH Trayce RF

6. Lawrie 3B Lawrie 3B

7. Avila C Navarro C

8. Alexei SS Alexei SS

9. Sanchez 2B Sanchez

Bench

Saladino

Navarro

Trayce

Shuck

Rotation

1. Sale

2. Q

3. Rodon

4. Danks

5. EJ

Pen

1. Robertson

2. Jones.

3. Duke

4. Albers

5. Petricka

6. Putnam

7. Jennings

QUOTE (professa @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 04:04 PM)

Sign Matt Albers 1/2.5

Payroll: 135M (Current=~95M+10M(Arbitration) + 21(Upton) + 7.5(Alexei) + 2.5 (Albers)) Lawrie included in arbitration figure. I think JR can be convinced to spend more given what's coming off the books next year. Might as well go all in.

VS RHP VS LHP

1. Eaton CF Eaton CF

2. Melky RF Melky DH

3. Abreu 1B Abreu 1B

4. Upton LF Upton LF

5. LaRoche DH Trayce RF

6. Lawrie 3B Lawrie 3B

7. Avila C Navarro C

8. Alexei SS Alexei SS

9. Sanchez 2B Sanchez

Bench

Saladino

Navarro

Trayce

Shuck

Rotation

1. Sale

2. Q

3. Rodon

4. Danks

5. EJ

Pen

1. Robertson

2. Jones.

3. Duke

4. Albers

5. Petricka

6. Putnam

7. Jennings

I could see them doing something similar to this although I'm still not sure if that is a playoff caliber team.

QUOTE (professa @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 10:04 PM)

Sign Matt Albers 1/2.5

VS RHP VS LHP

1. Eaton CF Eaton CF

2. Melky RF Melky DH

3. Abreu 1B Abreu 1B

4. Upton LF Upton LF

5. LaRoche DH Trayce RF

6. Lawrie 3B Lawrie 3B

7. Avila C Navarro C

8. Alexei SS Alexei SS

9. Sanchez 2B Sanchez

Bench

Saladino

Navarro

Trayce

Shuck

Rotation

1. Sale

2. Q

3. Rodon

4. Danks

5. EJ

Pen

1. Robertson

2. Jones.

3. Duke

4. Albers

5. Petricka

6. Putnam

7. Jennings

very well thought out.... the only problem in your project / mock i have is EJ and no backup sp to use in case .... same thing as last yr, depending on hector and he bomb, the yr before with the other pitcher i think paulino and he bomb.

QUOTE (LDF @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 04:17 PM)
very well thought out.... the only problem in your project / mock i have is EJ and no backup sp to use in case .... same thing as last yr, depending on hector and he bomb, the yr before with the other pitcher i think paulino and he bomb.

One would think that signing Jacob Turner to a $1.5 contract might mean they would be thinking of him as that backup pitcher. Wouldn't that make sense?

QUOTE (bear_brian @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 11:22 PM)
One would think that signing Jacob Turner to a $1.5 contract might mean they would be thinking of him as that backup pitcher. Wouldn't that make sense?

big time. i know the org can not anticipate every little thing, but this team is lacking players and just assuming that no one will get hurt or that all will perform as expected is being limited in their thinking.

latos is another vogelsong is another

QUOTE (fathom @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 10:23 PM)
Dan Hayes seems to think there is no way they go after Upton

i was really thinking of doing a mini rant on why the sox should sign him and how the org is narrow minded..... then i thought better of it. ;)

QUOTE (ChiSoxFanMike @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 04:11 PM)
I could see them doing something similar to this although I'm still not sure if that is a playoff caliber team.

Precisely my thoughts. Still think we'd need 1 additional impact player to be competitors such as a Frazier-type (with the thought of sticking Lawrie at 2b). Guessing payroll would be quite bloated, though.

But I agree with the LaRoche / Melky platooning.

QUOTE (dayan024 @ Dec 7, 2015 -> 04:48 PM)
@rickslat123 Sources: Justin Upton @JUST_JUP agrees to contract with @whitesox. Deal roughly 6/135. #mlb #MLBWinterMeetings

Does this guy have any credibility seems like he had the Robertson to Whitesox the day before he signed

Lol no.