The LaRoche article dug up from 2015

glangon

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 08:50 AM)
I think his anger is more directed toward the "not here to play the game" part. Seems fair to me.

I wouldn't say my purpose in life is my employment. His quote was taken way out of context. There is nothing to suggest Adam LaRoche isn't dedicated to baseball.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 02:52 PM)
That is really crossing the line.

Have you ever met Adam LaRoche or asked his teammates about him? You take his words out of context and burst into a ignorant rant.

his job to stir the pot and call names.

To clarify...

“What I’m very careful to do is not do it in a judgmental way, ever,” LaRoche said. “Because I’ve had guys in the past who have come up and tried to beat the Bible over my head and tell me what I shouldn’t be doing: ‘You keep doing this, you’re going to hell.’ And that is absolutely not the way to preach. Period.”

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2013/s...-on-a/?page=all

I see nothing wrong with anything LaRoche said.

Anyway, due to his '15 performance I expect him to be back next season and when he steps into the batters box I will hope he helps the offense somehow.

QUOTE (spiderman @ Dec 8, 2015 -> 09:41 AM)
If the White Sox want to move him, it comes down to 2 possibilities:

1) White Sox agree to pay most of his remaining salary. They don't have a history of doing this.

2) White Sox trade him to a team that has a need for 1B/DH and receive back a player making similar money. This would be the more likely option, but the number of teams that need La Roche is probably on the lower side.

If the Sox are paying his salay, how is that clearing money for a big bat? More likely the Sox include some prospects so a team will eat LaRoches contract. LaRoche + Danish to the Rockies for lottery ticket prospect.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Dec 9, 2015 -> 06:11 AM)
Laroche is a born again idiot that said he's not here to play the game,but to spread the gospel.

No dickf***, you are getting paid 25 million to hit a f***ing baseball. Once he said that crap, I wanted him gone in a flash.

Hateful much? This is not a good look for you, man. No reason to say this about anyone.

Spit balling here.

Say Sox sign Upton. Then trade for Frazier and EJ is involved.

We would have to get creative in order to trade LaRoche.

Would you guys be opposed if Sox traded LaRoche to the Brewers for Matt Garza if the Brewers kicked in some money and maybe a prospect or two? He is owed 25 million over the next 2 years. This gives Fulmer a full year in the minors to develop.

QUOTE (Downtown518 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 01:27 PM)
Scot Gregor ‏@scotgregor 3m3 minutes ago

Per @JPerrotto, #WhiteSox offered #Pirates Adam LaRoche in a trade, offered to pay $8m of his $13m salary in '16. Bucs declined

Well I guess that's that. We're stuck with him. Really wish they offered a contract to Alvarez.

QUOTE (Downtown518 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 01:27 PM)
Scot Gregor ‏@scotgregor 3m3 minutes ago

Per @JPerrotto, #WhiteSox offered #Pirates Adam LaRoche in a trade, offered to pay $8m of his $13m salary in '16. Bucs declined

Offer to eat a mill more and worse player you're looking to take back (which is probably already really low).

Edited by soxfan2014

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 01:36 PM)
Not in the least bit surprised the Pirates turned that down, I would too. LaRoche's lack of value is why I've accepted he will be in a Sox uni next season and why I keep saying to use him as a bench bat. Late innings pinch hitter/ defensive replacement etc. Use him in a lesser role and see if he comes around.

Whoops, I should have put my post here.

Which circumstance would make the Sox appear more desperate to move Adam; their current stated need to move him, so that they can pursue another bat, or the need to dump him, because there is no place to play him, because they have already acquired another bat?

If they signed Upton, couldn't they privately suggest to other GM's that their intention is to play Upton in RF, Eaton in CF and Melky in LF, and continue to use LaRoche as a DH? They could also tell them that they intend to keep Trayce as a 4TH outfielder, and send Avi to Charlotte.

As I said earlier, if they miss out on acquiring a much needed middle of the order hitter, because of whatever part of Adam's last year of salary they will have to pay, that seems awfully short sighted to me. In this age of committing to long term $15 to 25 million deals, I just don't understand how the $12.5 million, or whatever portion thereof, which they have to eat, in a trade, should be an obstacle to acquiring another bat.

I'd like to see them sign the guy, and worry about what to do with LaRoche later. But maybe that puts the front office in too difficult of a bargaining position. That's why I pose the question.

Edited by Lillian

Interesting. Never know when the offer could come back on the market. Fact Sox were willing to kick in $8M tells you they were serious. Probably takes a little more. Either way, we are talking net $5M in savings, which in my personal opinion, shouldn't be enough to alter the overall strategy.

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 01:43 PM)
Well at least they tried. At this point if the Sox are willing to eat $8m just to wave him goodbye might as well just eat the whole $13m and release him.

Better off holding onto him and hoping he finds his stroke, IMO.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Dec 10, 2015 -> 01:42 PM)
Interesting. Never know when the offer could come back on the market. Fact Sox were willing to kick in $8M tells you they were serious. Probably takes a little more. Either way, we are talking net $5M in savings, which in my personal opinion, shouldn't be enough to alter the overall strategy.

I think they really want to open up that position so they can sign one of the OFs or Pedro Alvarez.

Better off holding onto him and hoping he finds his stroke, IMO.

Well in order to find out he'll have to get AB's, and when LaRoche gets AB's he has the unique ability to drag the entire offense right down the tubes.

Its very possible that the best $13m the Sox could spend to improve the offense is to send LaRoche packing. Like, for that particular amount of money it is the absolute best thing the Sox can do to improve their team. It is the very definition of addition by subtraction.

PIT beat writer says Sox offered LaRoche in trade along with $8M, and PIT turned it down. Seattle signed Lind. The market looks closed.

At this point, if they can't move him and pay $8M of freight, the best bet is to keep him and hope for a turnaround (which, contrary to what some seem to think, is not impossible). That does however mean that the club needs to look for one or two more serious improvements, at some combination of RF, SS and 2B/3B.

• southsider2k5 changed the title to The LaRoche article dug up from 2015