Jason Heyward to Cubs (8 yrs 184M)

GGajewski18

• Replies 438
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Buehrle>Wood @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 04:00 PM)
They have ownership in their own network and that % is about to spike way up thanks to the Cubs. They don't need a competitive deal.

Aren't the Cubs planning to do the "Private network" move when their contract is up in 2019?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 03:16 PM)
Aren't the Cubs planning to do the "Private network" move when their contract is up in 2019?

Yeah, which means their stake(well, 67% of it) in CSN gets sold to Reinsdorf who will take about a 55% ownership stake in the network, which is tied directly to the teams and not the actual owner.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 03:16 PM)

Yes. It will be interesting to see how that works. It is possible it won't be the windfall we are used to seeing. I read an article about it being a pretty tall task for one team. Programming 24 hours a day all year can be a problem. There are only so many times you can watch a one hour Ernie Banks special. How many homes will have the channel. I watch some Cubs games, but by principle alone, wouldn't pay extra for this channel. But one good thing is until then, when the Cubs are drawing huge ratings, the White Sox make a bit more money.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 08:00 PM)
It's a moment I've known would come all my life. Now I can actually see it on the horizon.

I could see the Sox moving. But I ALSO could see the team staying. Are Jerry's relatives and the investors going to sell the team when he dies or keep it? In a city as big as Chicago, are there rumors of any local zillionaires wanting to buy and keep the team in Chicago? If the Reinsdorfs and the investors keep the team forever, ugh. I could see it moving or continuing to flounder.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 08:07 PM)
This move has not changed the fact that the sox are an afterthought. They have been since 1984. The sox are like the mets of new york. They each would need to win 4 world series in the next decade to not be the afterthoughts.

Disagree. Think back to 2005. The White Sox had done it. World Series. The Sox were the toast of the town. The Cubs franchise sucked. Oh yes they were still the Cubs and all the sellouts and the darlings of the baseball world. But they were truly second fiddle. The Sox COMPLETELY and utterly blew it. Almost instantly the team began its downward trend. Now finally the last 3 years the team has sucked. But after 05 the Sox had their chance to be THE team in town for a long time. They only have themselves to blame. I dont know if the Central Division teams went after them, but the Sox have one of the worst organizations in the Central now. Very sad. It can change again, but no question the Sox had it all going in 05 and blew it!

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (Alexeihyeess @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 04:19 PM)
Yes, I believe the year is 2020 though.

Who knows if the TV money will still be there 5 years from now. Lots of cord cutting going on.

The "Cord cutting" was in many cases actually making these types of networks even more valuable because people watch these games live and are willing to pony up money specifically for them. (I'm genuinely surprised how little MLB.tv used the commercial space).

QUOTE (Dunt @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 03:00 PM)
Last year they spent $128 million across 4 players. One of their biggest offseasons in franchise history. As a comparison, the f***ing Diamondbacks just spent $206.5 million on 1 player. Not saying that model is beneficial to building a winner, but the Sox hardly spend big in FA. They are always going for the lower tier guys. Abreu is the largest contract in franchise history at $68 million. Great gamble by the organization, but the Sox are 1 of, what, 8 teams that have never had a contract over $100 million? Over $70 million for that matter? They haven't gone over their J2 allotment yet to replenish an otherwise mediocre farm system that was greatly in need of a talent infusion. Neighborhood has a lot to do with bringing in money for a team, whether you choose to admit that or not is completely up to you. I like Bridgeport, but again, to a casual fan, what is there that would make you want to go to a game? Not everyone is a rabid baseball fan. I dont need them to compete with the Cubs, that really isn't feasible. I think it's a lazy narrative to say that Sox fans just make excuses though. People want to see postseasons, the Sox havent delivered on that. Interest will diminish when you arent ever playing in October.

How does a neighborhood bring money in for the team? It's he other way around. I dont think people go to the cubby bear and decide hey guess what there is a baseball park next door lets go. Even if they did that is a small percentage of the group. Fans go there for the game but hang around before or after.

So what your saying about free agency is that if you arent one of the top spenders it doesn't matter.

If pe ople want to see post seasons only, explain the attendance of the cubs and boston before 2004. Fans still went there.

Im not denying that the attendance would go up if they made the playoffs. I just dont think it would consistently stay there like it does for many other teams who havent been to the post season regularly.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 03:20 PM)
I could see the Sox moving. But I ALSO could see the team staying. Are Jerry's relatives and the investors going to sell the team when he dies or keep it? In a city as big as Chicago, are there rumors of any local zillionaires wanting to buy and keep the team in Chicago? If the Reinsdorfs and the investors keep the team forever, ugh. I could see it moving or continuing to flounder.

Disagree. Think back to 2005. The White Sox had done it. World Series. The Sox were the toast of the town. The Cubs franchise sucked. Oh yes they were still the Cubs and all the sellouts and the darlings of the baseball world. But they were truly second fiddle. The Sox COMPLETELY and utterly blew it. Almost instantly the team began its downward trend. Now finally the last 3 years the team has sucked. But after 05 the Sox had their chance to be THE team in town for a long time. They only have themselves to blame. I dont know if the Central Division teams went after them, but the Sox have one of the worst organizations in the Central now. Very sad. It can change again, but no question the Sox had it all going in 05 and blew it!

You are just proving my point. Only world series winning will bring fans in.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 04:32 PM)
Im not denying that the attendance would go up if they made the playoffs. I just dont think it would consistently stay there like it does for many other teams who havent been to the post season regularly.

Tell you what, let's turn this mess around, stop trying to "miraculously rescue the franchise with a miracle playoff run", build a solid foundation that can actually make the playoffs a couple years in a row, do that, and if there's no attendance pulse, I promise to apologize?

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 03:21 PM)
The "Cord cutting" was in many cases actually making these types of networks even more valuable because people watch these games live and are willing to pony up money specifically for them. (I'm genuinely surprised how little MLB.tv used the commercial space).

How much do you think Comcast will pay the cubs to be carried on Comcast after the cubs bail on Comcast.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 03:34 PM)
Tell you what, let's turn this mess around, stop trying to "miraculously rescue the franchise with a miracle playoff run", build a solid foundation that can actually make the playoffs a couple years in a row, do that, and if there's no attendance pulse, I promise to apologize?

No this point I agree with. I would prefer the team just cincentrate on building a winning team. Im just saying that I dont think that is rnough to bting fans to the ballpark. Its perfectly fine with me as I go whether they are winning or losing. However when they win I get to go to playoff games.

I have season tickets to the bears and sox. I really like going to playoff games. Thry just havent happened much lately.

Im not arguing that it isnt the right thing to do. Im just saying I disagree with people who say that efen regular playoff runs will consistently increase attendance to a great extent, it will some.

QUOTE (IowaSoxFan @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 02:53 PM)
There are a few. Look at the regional TV markets that do not have pro sports teams as a start.

Charlotte - Fox Sports Carolinas

Indianapolis - Fox Sports Indiana

Oklahoma City - Fox Sports Oklahoma

Nashville - Fox Sports Southeast/Tennessee

Salt Lake City - Root Sports Utah

Portland - CSN Northwest

Fastest growing cities in the US:

5. Salt Lake City

6. Raleigh, NC

Based on that, I would think Charlotte, Indianapolis and SLC would be real opportunities for the Sox to relocate.

Well, I'm quite sure it wouldn't happen but it'd be kind of funny from my standpoint if the Sox moved to Salt Lake. I moved there in the summer of...yep, 2005. Spent about five or six years there. I don't live there any more. So go ahead Sox, move there! Shove that dagger in!

QUOTE (ptatc @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 03:32 PM)
How does a neighborhood bring money in for the team? It's he other way around. I dont think people go to the cubby bear and decide hey guess what there is a baseball park next door lets go. Even if they did that is a small percentage of the group. Fans go there for the game but hang around before or after.

So what your saying about free agency is that if you arent one of the top spenders it doesn't matter.

If pe ople want to see post seasons only, explain the attendance of the cubs and boston before 2004. Fans still went there.

I think absolutely nowadays the attractions around the park bring in a lot of money. There are so many entertainment options out there. Other than people like us who sit around talking baseball 365 days a year? We go to the game to WATCH it. I'd say 80% of the people who go are casual fans who wouldn't know Erik Johnson's first name or the story behind him. They'll know the Abreu's of the world. But still think that AJ was the best catcher ever!!!!

I guess what I'm trying to say is A TON of people go to the game for things other than the game. Yes winning is cool. But so is the smells of the park, the ability to go to the fundamentals deck. The ability to take business folks out to a bar to get food beforehand. The ability to walk around a vibrant neighborhood, etc.

Just saying flip flop the parks, and we'd get 26-30,000 a game even with a 78 win team.

The sox will NEVER leave Chicago. Aside from the fact that they have a lucrative stadium deal until 2029, they will be getting a massive new tv deal in 2020. And that deal will likely be on the network they are already on, which just so happens to be on almost every cable operator in the area.

On the other hand, the Cubs tv deal may look more like the Dodgers or Astros, assuming operators balk at the carriage rates of cubs net.

You see, csn Chicago was ordered to take below market carriage deals by Jerry ( via his friend the late Jim Corno) to ensure everyone had the channel. The thinkin was that the equity stake and increased exposure would pay for any "losses" from carriage fees.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 03:19 PM)
Yes. It will be interesting to see how that works. It is possible it won't be the windfall we are used to seeing. I read an article about it being a pretty tall task for one team. Programming 24 hours a day all year can be a problem. There are only so many times you can watch a one hour Ernie Banks special. How many homes will have the channel. I watch some Cubs games, but by principle alone, wouldn't pay extra for this channel. But one good thing is until then, when the Cubs are drawing huge ratings, the White Sox make a bit more money.

Depends on the partner. If it's ESPN or fox, you may see programming get ported over. And who knows who the Bears will pick to be on. They are currently signed with csn Chicago for the "exclusive" pre and post game coverage.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 03:55 PM)
The sox will NEVER leave Chicago. Aside from the fact that they have a lucrative stadium deal until 2029, they will be getting a massive new tv deal in 2020. And that deal will likely be on the network they are already on, which just so happens to be on almost every cable operator in the area.

On the other hand, the Cubs tv deal may look more like the Dodgers or Astros, assuming operators balk at the carriage rates of cubs net.

You see, csn Chicago was ordered to take below market carriage deals by Jerry ( via his friend the late Jim Corno) to ensure everyone had the channel. The thinkin was that the equity stake and increased exposure would pay for any "losses" from carriage fees.

Anybody else getting tired of these MASSIVE new TV deals that are essentially funding the players contracts ..... which is from us?

I love my sports. And it's such a nice release from real world work and life problems, however my cable bill continues to climb, and its because of sports almost exclusively! We are paying for all these huge contracts while our paychecks stay the same, MLB players are making so much more % wise.

okay okay, back to the normal discussion. This shouldn't have been posted in here anyways.

Happy Friday, Go Sox.

Lawrie and Saladino to the World Series!

QUOTE (greg775 @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 04:20 PM)

Thank you, Kenny.

If the White Sox had a new owner like Mark Cuban, things would change.

QUOTE (ewokpelts @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 03:59 PM)
Depends on the partner. If it's ESPN or fox, you may see programming get ported over. And who knows who the Bears will pick to be on. They are currently signed with csn Chicago for the "exclusive" pre and post game coverage.

It would be shocking for the Bears to broadcast on a network that almost certainly be named after the Cubs.

QUOTE (BrianAnderson @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 04:02 PM)
Anybody else getting tired of these MASSIVE new TV deals that are essentially funding the players contracts ..... which is from us?

I love my sports. And it's such a nice release from real world work and life problems, however my cable bill continues to climb, and its because of sports almost exclusively! We are paying for all these huge contracts while our paychecks stay the same, MLB players are making so much more % wise.

okay okay, back to the normal discussion. This shouldn't have been posted in here anyways.

Happy Friday, Go Sox.

Lawrie and Saladino to the World Series!

Eventually it may be your choice to pay or not to pay. I think someday, you will be able to watch programs or games one at a time, and pay for that indivually. Right now, my brother lives in Switzerland, and he pays $15 to watch the Bears on Sundays. There are select Sox games he can get for a cheaper price. That is pricier than it would be here I would imagine.

I am tired of the gloom and doom posts. The Cubs sign Heyward for a massively overpayment and all we hear is the Sox are going into the toilet and will be moving to another city. Ridiculous. I am glad we aren't pending the kind of money the Cubs are, or some other teams for that matter. We can do better in filling our needs then give all our money to one player. We did make some good moves for 2015 and I am certain we will make some good moves for 2016. The players slumped and can come back from that. Think negatively and it's always going to be bad. Let's be realistic here and act positively about the Sox and the team ownership.

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Dec 11, 2015 -> 05:15 PM)
I am tired of the gloom and doom posts. The Cubs sign Heyward for a massively overpayment and all we hear is the Sox are going into the toilet and will be moving to another city. Ridiculous. I am glad we aren't pending the kind of money the Cubs are, or some other teams for that matter. We can do better in filling our needs then give all our money to one player. We did make some good moves for 2015 and I am certain we will make some good moves for 2016. The players slumped and can come back from that. Think negatively and it's always going to be bad. Let's be realistic here and act positively about the Sox and the team ownership.

Def don't think they overpaid but frankly as I don't live in Chicago or anywhere close what the Cubs do has zero affect on my Sox fandom. I do however emphasize with those that are in Chicagoland and are frustrated with their success relative to the Sox recently.