Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (SoCalSox @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 11:31 AM)
Biggest issue with this is that Davis may not sign until Feb or March according to reports. I'm not sure the Sox care to wait that long. I really think the longer this drags out, the lower chance the Sox have at landing Cespedes.

I don't think that Cespedes or Upton will sign until Davis signs. Baltimore is the wildcard in the whole process.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 11:34 AM)
Really? For the kind of money he wants, he should be willing to play where it best helps the team. His arm would be much more valuable in RF.

I'm beginning to not like the guy, if that is really what has kept him in LF. I really dislike "prima donnas".

"

What if he doesnt like Right Field because he sucks at it? He doesnt pick up the ball well off the bat and has bad reads?

You cant just plug and play these guys into positions you want them to play because you think it makes sense

Speaking of Davis, I found this, this morning on CBS Sportsline. The story is trying to determine which teams may be in on him. This is part of a much larger story as his agent Scott Boras is supposedly saying Davis can play a corner outfield spot::

"A left fielder makes a lot of sense here. The White Sox have a revamped infield around superstar Jose Abreu and the makings of a good rotation around ace Chris Sale.

Swinging Melky Cabrera into a platoon with Avisail Garcia puts both players in great position to succeed. Check out last season's numbers:

Melky vs. RHP: .286/.331/.417

Garcia vs. LHP: .293/.353/.407

Sure, Upton and Cespedes make more sense, but we'll again go back to Boras selling Davis as a corner outfielder. If that's the case, he makes sense here.

And that middle of the order ...

3. Abreu ®

4. Davis (L)

5. Todd Frazier ®

... is pretty scary."

Mark

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 11:39 AM)
What if he doesnt like Right Field because he sucks at it? He doesnt pick up the ball well off the bat and has bad reads?

You cant just plug and play these guys into positions you want them to play because you think it makes sense

He could certainly learn, if he had the right attitude. He is a phenomenal athlete, and plenty of guys, with less natural talent have done it.

If he were to play LF, the Sox would still not have a decent right fielder. Cabrera doesn't belong there, and Eaton does not have the arm for RF.

This is a big negative. I had been assuming that he would switch to RF, if the Sox were to sign him. I wonder if that could be part of the reason, the

front office is hesitant.

Front office is going to make Robin look stupid if he has to put that turd in the OF this year. He gives up 15 runs just by being out of position. Plus it's more than likely going to end up that the team has to give up prospects to upgrade mid season.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 11:55 AM)
He could certainly learn, if he had the right attitude. He is a phenomenal athlete, and plenty of guys, with less natural talent have done it.

If he were to play LF, the Sox would still not have a decent right fielder. Cabrera doesn't belong there, and Eaton does not have the arm for RF.

This is a big negative. I had been assuming that he would switch to RF, if the Sox were to sign him. I wonder if that could be part of the reason, the

front office is hesitant.

I dont know why you have been assuming this, since it has been said all offseason that he is a left fielder. I mean, he has a good arm, so lets put him at shortstop, right? If he has the right attitude, he is a phenomenal athlete, im sure he could make the switch and he could learn. No problem

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 11:59 AM)
I dont know why you have been assuming this, since it has been said all offseason that he is a left fielder. I mean, he has a good arm, so lets put him at shortstop, right? If he has the right attitude, he is a phenomenal athlete, im sure he could make the switch and he could learn. No problem

Do it. When the White Sox had Jermaine Dye play SS, they won the World Series.

That's ridiculous. There is a huge difference between SS and the outfield. There is not nearly that same difference between LF and RF.

Excuse me, but I must have missed where it was said that he wouldn't consider playing RF. He played CF for the Mets, so I just assumed that he

hadn't played RF, because none of his former teams had asked him to.

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 06:53 PM)
Just to play Devil's Advocate, if the price for Cespedes/Upton eventually does come down in the 2-3 yr range then there will be teams that aren't interested now jump in the mix.

Yep, which is why you're hearing about the Tigers, Mets and Red Sox possibly getting back into the picture.

I don't enjoy switching positions for players, but YC does seem to be a perfect fit for RF except that he has not played it. Wouldn't you want him shutting off 1st to 3rd and 2nd to home ?

QUOTE (dpd9189 @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 12:53 PM)
Just to play Devil's Advocate, if the price for Cespedes/Upton eventually does come down in the 2-3 yr range then there will be teams that aren't interested now jump in the mix.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 12, 2016 -> 12:54 PM)
Yep, which is why you're hearing about the Tigers, Mets and Red Sox possibly getting back into the picture.

Ehh I see no reason to really be worried about the Red Sox or Mets though. What other teams would jump in? I don't really see that many.

There is only one devils advocate around here and it isnt you sir!

Yep. I'm skeptical a guy like Cespedes falls into our lap by default. If his price really drops, we're going to have a lot more competition and I doubt we come out ahead at that point. If we're going to land him, we'll need to put a solid offer out there that keeps the competition on the sidelines. We don't seem willing to do that, at this point.

Edited by bighurt574