Cespedes Re-signs with the Mets

dayan024

QUOTE (MDWhiteSoxFan @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 07:51 AM)
At first I was very optimistic about one of the big 3. Yo being who I was most optimistic about with all the reports. Upton getting 6 years 130+ diminishes all optimism for Yo. That said I would be cool with going A Jackson and someone like Latos on a prove it deal. I'm not a fan of giving up a pick for Fowler who I've been a fan of his tools since his days in Colorado.

People suggesting Desmond for stop gap SS then OF next year. Has he ever played the OF? I don't follow the Nats but he never blew me away when I would occasionally watch the game so I'm not the best to judge him but for the price difference I guess him paired with Jackson and Latos would be OK.

No he's never played the OF. It was mentioned on the intranet a month or so ago, and a couple of people ran with it, but if he isn't worth the contract he is going to get as a SS, I have no idea why he would be worth it as an OF. He would have to be a SS. It would make no sense to bring him in as a OF. If you want to work with him when you get him to see if he is truly capable of that, and to make room for Anderson or Saladino at SS, that makes sense. But to bring him in as anything but a SS initially would be hard to understand the logic.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 02:58 PM)
No he's never played the OF. It was mentioned on the intranet a month or so ago, and a couple of people ran with it, but if he isn't worth the contract he is going to get as a SS, I have no idea why he would be worth it as an OF. He would have to be a SS. It would make no sense to bring him in as a OF. If you want to work with him when you get him to see if he is truly capable of that, and to make room for Anderson or Saladino at SS, that makes sense. But to bring him in as anything but a SS initially would be hard to understand the logic.

good counter.

i will also add, looking at the update of the sox prospect list, that has been posted, i really would hate to loose that comp pick. the sox needs all their picks.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 07:45 AM)
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2016/01/padr...des-market.html

Padres monitoring the Cespedes market now.

Once again the White Sox are not getting the bargain that people think they will get. At a bargain price teams will jump back in the pool and drive the price up to a realistic number which will be around 5/$100 with an opt out after the second year.

Teams don't really bid against themselves what they do is provide a number that they feel will get them the player they want at the cost that they feel the player will take. This was what he cubs did with Heyward.

I really hope the White Sox are not sitting around think they can get him for 3/$60 or something like that.

Edited by Harry Chappas

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 08:58 AM)

I agree with this completely. I didn't think Desmond had played OF it doesn't make sense to give up a pick for a stop gap turned project. I really feel Austin Jackson and a 2nd tier pitcher are the way to go now. Save that pick help 2 positions

QUOTE (Harry Chappas @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 09:02 AM)
Once again the White Sox are not getting the bargain that people think they will get. At a bargain price teams will jump back in the pool and drive the price up to a realistic number which will be around 5/$100 with an opt out after the second year.

Teams don't really bid against themselves what they do is provide a number that they feel will get them the player they want at the cost that they feel the player will take. This was what he cubs did with Heyward.

I really hope the White Sox are not sitting around think they can get him for 3/$60 or something like that.

Does anyone really think the Sox think they could get him at 3/60? They're not stupid, if that's all they're willing to offer then they were never serious about getting him to begin with. If the Sox are serious, they'd have to at least go 4/90-100 or 5/110, which would be a drop in Cespedes' demands, but still high enough that not many other teams are going to jump in at that. That's been my assumption all along about the discounted price he could potentially be had at.

I would have spent the money on Upton but that's about it. I'm about the only one who is willing to give Garcia another year and think he will improve. He's only 24 and he's coming off his first full year. He should be 100% healthy and I'm willing to give him a chance rather than spend $80-100 mill on Cespedes, who has also put up pedestrian numbers earlier in his career. At this point, if I was the Sox, I would sign Austin Jackson to the 4th OF role and also Pedro Alvarez to be the LH DH. LaRoche is a sunk cost and can be a pinch hitter and give Abreu the occasional day off.

Edited by Lemon_44

QUOTE (MDWhiteSoxFan @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 09:49 AM)
I agree with this completely. I didn't think Desmond had played OF it doesn't make sense to give up a pick for a stop gap turned project. I really feel Austin Jackson and a 2nd tier pitcher are the way to go now. Save that pick help 2 positions

If you value Desmond as the type of player who was recently worth a $107 million contract to...compared to the $13-14 million value of the pick over the short and long term.

How much would Fowler have gotten after 2014, for example, had an extension been offered?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 09:55 AM)
I would have spent the money on Upton but that's about it. I'm about the only one who is willing to give Garcia another year and think he will improve. He's only 24 and he's coming off his first full year. He should be 100% healthy and I'm willing to give him a chance rather than spend $80-100 mill on Cespedes, who has also put up pedestrian numbers earlier in his career. At this point, if I was the Sox, I would sign Austin Jackson to the 4th OF role and also Pedro Alvarez to be the LH DH. LaRoche is a sunk cost and can be a pinch hitter and give Abreu the occasional day off.

Paying Jackson that much money to get less than 300 at bats just wouldn't be realistic.

QUOTE (Lemon_44 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 04:55 PM)

even thou the sox thought of trading him, laroche, at this time, he is a sox until spring training or later. i can live with jackson and let avi platoon with laroche in hitting. what will it hurt.

even thou i mention Alvarez yesterday, he carries some huge baggage and his rep???? i just don't know about that.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 08:00 AM)
Mibelt Rodriguez ‏@MibeltRodriguez 3m3 minutes ago

Update: #Mets, #Nationals and #WhiteSox are the finalists to signing OF Yoenis Cespedes. A decision is expected within next 24-48 hours.

hqdefault.jpg

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 10:00 AM)

Update: #Mets, #Nationals and #WhiteSox are the finalists to signing OF Yoenis Cespedes. A decision is expected within next 24-48 hours.

Would be nice to end this saga. Even if he signs somewhere else it would still be nice to have this over with.

But then we will be on Fowler or Colorado OF watch.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 10:00 AM)

How credible is this guy? His Twitter looks somewhat legit given his # of followers, but has he actually broken any news before?

http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/i...ing-up-momentum

Cespedes back to Mets momentum increasing

"Sign him to a five-year, $120 million contract with a two-year opt-out and a ton of deferred money.

Cespedes, 30, could claim victory -- he would get the long-term security he wants and a higher average annual value ($24 million) than Justin Upton ($22.125M).

The Mets would win, too -- the five-year term is shorter than Cespedes desires, the deferred money would lower the present-day value of the deal and the opt-out would ensure that the outfielder stays motivated."

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 10:21 AM)
http://espn.go.com/blog/sweetspot/post/_/i...ing-up-momentum

Cespedes back to Mets momentum increasing

"Sign him to a five-year, $120 million contract with a two-year opt-out and a ton of deferred money.

Cespedes, 30, could claim victory -- he would get the long-term security he wants and a higher average annual value ($24 million) than Justin Upton ($22.125M).

The Mets would win, too -- the five-year term is shorter than Cespedes desires, the deferred money would lower the present-day value of the deal and the opt-out would ensure that the outfielder stays motivated."

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 19, 2016 -> 09:13 PM)
Mets fans are crazy on Twitter about Cespedes. Rosenthal has a proposed deal suggestion that I'm sure people will relay as being an actual offer.

"The other issue may be the more important one. I'm not exactly sure why giving Cespedes an opt-out clause would make him more motivated: After all, he would have a guaranteed $120 million coming his way. Then there's this: In 2014, he posted a .301 OBP; in 2013, he posted a .294 OBP. According to Baseball-Reference, he created one more run than an average MLB hitter in 2013 and seven more than average in 2014. He was great in 2015 when he was plus-30, but the fear is he regresses to being a .300 OBP guy and that's not a $120 million player."

The key point in all this...from espn/Schoenfield article

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jan 20, 2016 -> 08:27 AM)
"The other issue may be the more important one. I'm not exactly sure why giving Cespedes an opt-out clause would make him more motivated: After all, he would have a guaranteed $120 million coming his way. Then there's this: In 2014, he posted a .301 OBP; in 2013, he posted a .294 OBP. According to Baseball-Reference, he created one more run than an average MLB hitter in 2013 and seven more than average in 2014. He was great in 2015 when he was plus-30, but the fear is he regresses to being a .300 OBP guy and that's not a $120 million player."

The key point in all this...from espn/Schoenfield article

Yea - that's the type of risk that makes me want Jackson + Desmond instead.