White Sox Listening on Sale

Chisoxfn

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really hope that they trade Sale and keep Quintana. If they do, they better get back the position players who could fix this pathetic offense.

I'd love to see several trades, like some of those, about which guys have been speculating. With a productive offense and a bunch of new players, who don't have a

mental block, which prevents them from scoring runs when Q pitches, he could not only become the Ace of the staff, but one of the most coveted, elite pitchers in the game.

It just can't be a coincidence that this team almost never scores runs for Jose. It's apparent that it has gotten into their heads. I'd just rather keep him, and trade them.

For me, Sale is a much better choice to be traded, for the following reasons:

1) He has one year less of control than Q.

2) He will likely bring back more talent, because Quintana is underrated.

3) He probably represents a greater injury risk

4) He is not my kind of team leader. He seems selfish and childish, which doesn't set a good example for young players, more of whom would make up the roster, after trading for top prospects.

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 11:23 AM)
I really hope that they trade Sale and keep Quintana. If they do, they better get back the position players who could fix this pathetic offense.

I'd love to see several trades, like some of those, about which guys have been speculating. With a productive offense and a bunch of new players, who don't have a

mental block, which prevents them from scoring runs when Q pitches, he could not only become the Ace of the staff, but one of the most coveted, elite pitchers in the game. It just can't be a coincidence that this team almost never scores runs for Jose. It's apparent that it has gotten in their heads. I'd just rather keep him, and trade them.

For me, Sale is a much better choice to be traded, for the following reasons:

1) He has one year less of control than Q.

2) He will likely bring back more talent, because Quintana is underrated.

3) He probably represents a greater injury risk

4) He is not my kind of team leader. He seems selfish and childish, which doesn't set a good example for young players, more of whom would make up the roster, after trading for top prospects.

Once again, spot on Lillian.

QUOTE (South Side Fireworks Man @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 12:31 PM)
He's just one guy who only plays every five days.

He currently has 28% of the white sox total wins. Sox need an ace but unfortunately they cant build a good enough team around him.

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 12:28 PM)
This team is jack without Sale. We simply don't have the depth to absorb the blow without starting over.

This team is jack with Sale though. What would you suggest they do? Hold pat? I don't see how gradual improvements over the next three years will be enough when Chris will be exiting via free agency in 2020. Starting over is really our only option.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 10:40 AM)
This team is jack with Sale though. What would you suggest they do? Hold pat? I don't see how gradual improvements over the next three years will be enough when Chris will be exiting via free agency in 2020. Starting over is really our only option.

Exactly.

The idea of trading both Sale and Quintana seems very unrealistic. That not only suggests a total rebuild, which is not the White Sox way, but the task of building a formidable staff, with both of them gone, would be Herculean. A staff led by Quintana, as the Ace, Rodon as a #2 and Fulmer, with another youngster and a veteran, would be feasible. Of course, there is no guarantee, but it's doable. Without Sale and Q, they would need to rebuild the whole staff. Even a rebuild requires a core, and without either Sale and Quintana, what would be the core of the pitching staff?

Doesn't it make more sense to trade one of the two, aa well as other veterans, such as Frazier, Melky and Robertson, in order to acquire the other pieces for a rebuild?

Edited by Lillian

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 12:59 PM)
The idea of trading both Sale and Quintana seems very unrealistic. That not only suggests a total rebuild, which is not the White Sox way, but the task of building a formidable staff, with both of them gone, would be Herculean. A staff led by Quintana, as the Ace, Rodon as a #2 and Fulmer, with another youngster and a veteran, would be feasible. Of course, there is no guarantee, but it's doable. Without Sale and Q, they would need to rebuild the whole staff. Even a rebuild requires a core, and without either Sale and Quintana, what would be the core of the pitching staff?

While I don't want to see Sale AND Q traded, can you imagine the type of crazy influx of talent we would get??

Just to use Dave Cameron's Dodgers/Sale idea and the Red Sox/Q discussions....

Sale to Dodgers for SP Urias, OF Verdugo, 2 others

Quintana to Red Sox for 2B Moncada, 3B Devers, SP Kopech.

Those are 5 top prospects (Urias and Moncada are top 5 in all of baseball), plus a couple others.

QUOTE (Lillian @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 12:59 PM)

Doesn't it make more sense to trade one of the two, aa well as other veterans, such as Frazier, Melky and Robertson, in order to acquire the other pieces for a rebuild?

The answer is your core comes from a combination of the trades and the rebuild of the system internally. For example, if the White Sox traded Sale to LA and Q to BOS and in those deals got Urias, De Leon, Pederson, Verdugo, Moancada and Benintendi among others, those guys would be part of the core moving forward. Rodon and Anderson would certainly be part of the core, as would Eaton if not moved, though I would move everyone on the MLB roster for whom I got a good offer if I'm trading Sale and Q, Fulmer and Collins would likely be considered strong candidates to become part of the core, as would the high draft picks the team would have over the next few seasons. In short, the answer is trading both means going into full rebuild mode.

I don't believe the Sox could get proper value in return for Sale, and, maybe more importantly, I'm not sure they could identify the right guys in return. I really don't want a bunch of unproven prospects for a top 5 pitcher in baseball. Prospects fail all the time - especially when they are White Sox prospects.

Yeah, I mean obviously the odds are very unlikely that you'd be able to replace Sale and Q...ever. But I don't know that you have much of a choice, tbh. We aren't winning with them, so you've got to try it another way.

If it were up to me, I'd move everyone of the supposed "core" with the exception of Abreu and Rodon, because of the down year they're having. Move Sale/Q/Eaton/Robertson and Cabrera. Maybe you keep Frazier around and gamble that he improves his value next year. Maybe do the same with Shields.

You'd inject massive talent into the system and see how things develop over the next 18 months or so. You'd obviously have to put together a rotation beyond perhaps Rodon/Fulmer/Adams and other names, but if you have enough young assets and money, that can be done.

I am so ready for this type of rebuild...it would be infinitely more hopeful and interesting than this current cast of characters.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 12:40 PM)

The problem isn't losing Sale, it's that there isn't enough offensive talent to score runs. The Sox could still have a decent rotation next season if they get a #3 or #4 starter as part of a deal for Sale. If they get a solid, ML-ready CF and an almost-ready stud prospect like Moncada as the centerpieces of that deal, they'll probably be in a better position to contend in 2017/2018 than they have been for the past two seasons.

On the other hand, they're going to be mired near the .500 mark again if they keep Sale and try to get by with one-year rentals of Austin Jackson and Dioner Navarro types through free agency.

QUOTE (Jose Paniagua @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 01:29 PM)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 7s7 seconds ago

Sources: #Rangers have talked to #WhiteSox about Quintana as well as Sale. Same story: No traction due to differences in perceived value.

Hahn asking for the moon, as he should be. But I'm sure a bunch of you will find a way to fault him anyway.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 01:33 PM)
They'll trade Robertson. I am very much in confident in that.

I mean that's good. But the perception in the writers realm seems to be salary dump. Which would be extremely underwhelming considering the market.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 12:40 PM)

This.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 02:05 PM)
While I don't want to see Sale AND Q traded, can you imagine the type of crazy influx of talent we would get??

Just to use Dave Cameron's Dodgers/Sale idea and the Red Sox/Q discussions....

Sale to Dodgers for SP Urias, OF Verdugo, 2 others

Quintana to Red Sox for 2B Moncada, 3B Devers, SP Kopech.

Those are 5 top prospects (Urias and Moncada are top 5 in all of baseball), plus a couple others.

Honestly, still asking for Benintendi from the Red Sox along with Moncada.

But the gist is the same.

One starter to the Red Sox for hitters.

One starter to the Dodgers for pitchers + hitters.

Sell off what you can for market value.

Add the prospects you get to Rodon, Fulmer, Anderson and hopefully Collins, Call, Fisher, Burdi and Hansen.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jul 30, 2016 -> 01:30 PM)
Hahn asking for the moon, as he should be. But I'm sure a bunch of you will find a way to fault him anyway.

If they don't move a starter that's one thing, but they have been way too quiet for a team that's mired in mediocrity. Either get better or get worse. This current situation is unacceptable.