Trade Deadline: Sox Make No Moves

Jose Abreu

I just have to get over this disappointment. Glad Chiefs season is almost here. Help me ignore this s***ty franchise. Get this season over with and see what changes in the front office they make. Then see what direction they're taking. I'm afraid this team won't be good again until there's a new owner. Too much loyalty and patience for a franchise that's not been to a postseason since 2008. Just disgraceful that there's no sense of urgency or direction.

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Columns are out at the newspapers. Saying a lot of what Sox fans are saying everywhere.

Rick Morrissey said he was glad the Sox didn't trade Sale because that's the only reason to watch the team calling them "boring."

Daryl Van Schouwen at the Sun-Times wrote if the Sox make any moves it'll be in the winter. Quoted a scout as saying more teams will be involved.

Haven't seen David Haugh's yet but in an e-mail earlier we discussed some things and he said frankly he doesn't trust this front office to get good value / top talent back for Sale or Q so he's glad they didn't trade them.

I told him the same thing I've said at other times...Sox are between the rock and a hard place, no easy answers...no simple solutions everything is interrelated. You can't fix A then fix B then fix C. Things are so convoluted who knows how they are going to get out of this, if ever before new ownership eventually comes to pass.

Mark

Edited by Lip Man 1

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 05:33 PM)
Regardless of everything that transpired "mired in mediocrity" was a misstep.

Ya but think of the strides we already made, now we're middle of the pack with some special talent. Pretty big turn around.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (Eminor3rd @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 02:26 PM)
I feel like I'm experiencing an alternate reality or something. You guys are acting like this team is 20 games under .500 and has a bunch of pending free agents.

Again, I understand the opinion that the team should rebuild, but I don't understand why everyone is acting like it's unbelievable that they aren't selling. It's very believable. They didn't "blow" anything, they just made a different decision than you wanted.

How does trotting out Avi Garcia year after year help us contend? How does trading Zack Duke help us contend? How does passing up on better FA's because they have a draft pick attached (Fowler, Desmond) help us contend?

Well...I'm not upset the Sox didn't trade Sale or Q...holding firm to what they're worth isn't a bad thing. But doing absolutely nothing is ridiculous IMO. Puig was out there to be had in some way, shape or form. Robertson and Avi...or some combination...seems the Dodgers just want to pull the plug on this guy already. He probably would have ended up being a huge pain in the ass...but that beats "as exciting as a cold sore" any day of the week.

"Three year plan" talk was a misstep

"Mired in mediocrity" was a misstep

Too many mistakes and if anything Hahn has revealed his true thoughts of the ballclub. I know nearly everyone commended him for the truth. However none of us will forget it, and now every move he makes/doesn't make will be based off of it.

QUOTE (Flash Tizzle @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 06:55 PM)
"Three year plan" talk was a misstep

"Mired in mediocrity" was a misstep

Too many mistakes and if anything Hahn has revealed his true thoughts of the ballclub. I know nearly everyone commended him for the truth. However none of us will forget it, and now every move he makes/doesn't make will be based off of it.

Couldn't agree more. Hahn has revealed he is incapable of being a GM and just as guilt of the status quo as the other two. Sick of the KW/JR handcuff excuses (and I used to be one of those people). He's a bad GM. "Mired in mediocrity" because the organization IS RUN by mediocrity from the top down. I'm not even upset that Sale or Q weren't traded, they really can't afford to miss on those deals. But I am floored that they couldn't move one or some combo of Frazier/Cabrera/Robertson/Gonzalez/Shields. Looking around both leagues and the trades that went down, there is little doubt in my mind that they didn't have any value on the market. They seriously need to stop trying to patch a sinking ship year after year and start selling. They'll be lucky to even get a top 10 pick in next years draft. This half-assed "re-tooling" is not working and hasn't been for the past decade. If someone would have told me the Padres would have had a better trade deadline I would have laughed in their face.

Mired in mediocrity was a misstep.. because it's not even true.

I'll admit I didn't do a detailed research.. but from brief calculations looks to me like are avg ranking of the past 3 seasons is about 20/30 teams.

That's not even mediocre...

I do think that Shields, Robertson, and Morneau can be moved in August. I truly believe that they are ready to sell off too. I think they roll into the winter meetings with Sale and Quintana being the #1 and #2 pitchers available. They'll also have Gonzalez, Lawrie, Melky, and Frazier on 1 year deals. They could really be a destination for trades at the Winter Meetings.

QUOTE (Tony @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 03:11 PM)
Well, I don't know why I came here tonight

I got the feeling that something ain't right

I'm so scared in case I fall off my chair,

And I'm wondering how I'll get down those stairs

Clowns to the left of me,

rickhahn.jpg

jokers to the right,

bulls_pax_we_understand_changes_have_to_

Here I am, stuck in the middle with you

Jerry-reinsdorf-tribune-photo-2.jpg

Aww how nice . That's the second "Stuck in the Middle with You" reference after the one I posted in the winners thread a few games ago.

At least I know someone besides Ptatc enjoys them.

QUOTE (Hatchetman @ Aug 1, 2016 -> 07:10 PM)
Jim Bowden calls the White Sox "flat out losers."

http://sportsmockery.com/2016/08/espn-anal...ox-flat-losers/

the video is toward the bottom.

For the most part, he's right. I just wouldn't call them that for not trading Sale or Q. They're not going to give them away. His trade proposals a couple weeks ago were downright brutal. He said they're fair to both side. BS, the sox can't afford to be fair in trade talks with these two. They need to squeeze as much as possible this winter.

False hope. Some further thinking and I tend to agree with these articles.

http://www.chicagonow.com/sox-stuff/2016/0...nst-the-rebuild

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2016/07/22/the...te-sox-rebuild/

Since the century the Sox just seem bad at scouting. Every pitcher with a 5+ era looks like and ace - once again that is scouting. Drafting athletes vs. baseball players. Can't develop position players. At one time Tiger fans hated to see Avi Garcia depart. So the question is was he false goods or another failure because he became a Sox. You have to question that about Beckham. Was he brought up too soon?

So to me getting prospects is similar to Congress throwing more at a failed program thinking more resources will fix the problem.

I wouldn't doubt the offers for Sale or Q were not worth it because it involved more pitchers than position players. They seem to do better at getting pitchers. The Angels didn't trade Trout. There is a point where these "once in a lifetime" potential HOF type players fall in your lap and you have to sometimes defy the logic of trading them. Frank Thomas played on some bad Sox teams.

I thought Bernstein made a good point about TV revenue and that is where the money is made in pro sports.

A wrong decision could create a 10 year window. Then you have to win a World Series again.

This organization does too many things wrong. JR has gotten burned on FA contracts so I can understand not shelling out for another Albert Bell type player. At one time this organization did a decent minor league system with some untouchable prospect. So if you are not getting the best value on FA contracts spend it in the minors. I wonder how Veeck would have done because he knew he couldn't compete in FA and started putting it in the minors.

Not surprised one iota that we kept Sale and Q . Look what the Yankees got for Chapman for a a rental. Then figure the time Sale and Q have left and no matter what the return we got it wouldn't be enough. We can still get productive cheap years from them and then trade them for a haul if they stay healthy.

Maybe we see Shield or Gonzales moved later but if you look at how we entered this season with the 4 and 5 spots in turmoil and look at how the top 5 are pitching now the Sox could have a pretty good rotation next year especially if Shields and Gonzo finish as strong as they have been pitching lately.

Let's say Jerry opens up the checkbook , long shot I know, but the lack of moves could be tied to Jerry saying something like that. Even though it's a thin free agent class there is still going to be some quality that could help the Sox. Cespedes( if he opts out), Reddick, Kenley Jansen, Lucroy ,Dexter Fowler, Ian Desmond. Add some OBP ,power and relief pitching and all of a sudden you have a team with direction . Maybe Melky and Robertson get moved in the offseason to free up some money.

Just sayin' things CAN get better.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

I've been sick to my stomach all afternoon over this. I understand the underlying logic in holding onto Sale & Quintana until the offseason, although I question which non-contenders will actually be part of this so-called derby. To me, there are only so many teams that can afford these guys and most of them were in the playoff hunt anyways. Having said that, major leaguers could be in play this fall and so could 2016 draft picks. Perhaps a few more teams will enter the fray, but I don't expect a ton more, even with a poor free agent market. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt on Sale & Quintana for now.

What really pisses me off are all the other guys they could have dealt. Yes, we don't know what was offered, but it's quite amazing to me that we only made one trade and it was for a local kid with ties to our GM's high school. Tilson is a legit prospect, but I can't help but think this is another case of our front office trying to get their "guy" who fills a specific need and missing out on a potentially greater return. And I find it incredibly hard to believe no one offered anything of value for Melky or Robertson. Relievers & OFs were going left and right for solid returns. The fact we couldn't make any deals with out guys strongly suggests our demands were unrealistic or we were simply late to the party. Either way, this deadline only increased my fears that Hahn & KW don't know how to sell.

The worst part of this all is the complete lack of direction. We still don't know if this team is going to rebuild or retool or most likely do a half-ass job in between. The lack of moves has me greatly concerned there is still no long term plan. Obviously we'll know more this fall/winter, but I would have loved to seen some signs that a rebuilding was coming. Instead, we get to spend the next five months worrying whether or no the front office will do the right thing. I'm getting to the point where following this team has become unenjoyable due to the utter incompetence of our front office and ownership group. Again, I hope they prove me wrong and blow this mess up during the offseason, but with the lack of direction and accountability for years & years I have no reason to be optimistic at the moment.