Q traded to Cubs/Jimenez, Cease ++ to Sox

Sleepy Harold

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 09:32 AM)
I don't like playing the prospect game but since the Sox are doing so, you probably are over-criticizing the deal. The rating game can be stupid but Eloy is the No. 5 player in baseball and films of him are promising as he hits some bombs. At 6-4 he looks the part of slugger. Cease is the Cubs' No. 1 pitching prospect. If you want to go the prospect route, you probably can't argue with this one on paper. Eloy in theory could be playing for the Sox a long time, at least til he hits the big payday in free agency. Also don't forget if you throw out the recent dominance of Q, he's been hit a bit this season. I expect him to be great for the Cubs the rest of the year and I think he will wake them up, but you don't know. I'm wait and see on the prospect game, but on paper you get a great hitting prospect in Eloy and a team's No. 1 pitching prospect. Most of the fans on here are committed to a rebuild, not sure if you are or not, but if you want a rebuild, I don't think you could probably ask for more. That third prospect the Sox got has 14 home runs this year. Not bad for a throw in.

Unfortunately it's wait and see. Sox aren't interested in acquiring major league ready guys right now. So it's add two more (on paper) blue chip prospects and see what happens. I love Q but it's possible you are over-valuing him as well. When he was having all those mediocre starts earlier in the season and the high ERA, he didn't exactly look overwhelmingly good. Sox have several players now projected to take over certain positions in the next few years. I can see why you hate the deal but there's no way to positively grade it right now. On paper, the Sox 3 major trades all brought future stars to the team.

Really great points Greg. I agree with most everything you said.

So its been a little over a day since the trade happened. How is everyone feeling about it now? I'm excited, the only thing that scares me is how far away they are. Obviously we didn't need anyone that could contribute right now, but getting a bunch of guys that aren't proven in the higher level scares me. That being said, I love the trade still. I think Jimenez is the best single prospect we could've gotten in return. Also like "replacing" Quintana with a top pitching prospect as well.

QUOTE (KnightsOnMintSt @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 04:37 PM)
So its been a little over a day since the trade happened. How is everyone feeling about it now? I'm excited, the only thing that scares me is how far away they are. Obviously we didn't need anyone that could contribute right now, but getting a bunch of guys that aren't proven in the higher level scares me. That being said, I love the trade still. I think Jimenez is the best single prospect we could've gotten in return. Also like "replacing" Quintana with a top pitching prospect as well.

Pain of losing Jose is starting to sink in, but still happy with the return.

QUOTE (KnightsOnMintSt @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 02:37 PM)

The coach of Eloy's last A ball team said that he could literally be a September call up type of a guy on a contending team this year. Said that he could make the White a Sox middle of next year. He was mainly speaking to the kids talent level and not actually projecting his timeline.

My guess based on everything I've read and heard is a September call up in 2018 or starting in May of 2019.

Regardless, it's nice to see that his talent is seen as professional talent developers as being able to play in the bigs this year. I too was a little ( as in tiny ) bit concerned that all of these guys where in A ball.

QUOTE (KnightsOnMintSt @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 04:37 PM)

4 moves took us from: one of the worst farm systems in baseball and a sub-.500 MLB team with no chance of contending to top 2 if not #1 farm system in baseball. Pretty incredible, excited about the future of White Sox baseball for the first time since 2008

Have no interest in any intentional tanking...I'd like to see the maneuvers start to rebuild this outfit. Hopefully some young pitching for some of these Sanchez types perhaps. It will be a bad record anyway.

To keep it going, they'll always need pitching in the pipeline. Lack of it really cost the Sox in the last decade.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 06:18 PM)
I'll take Jimenez over Albies any day of the week. Would be interesting to hear what the other pieces were though.

Yeah, if we are to believe Hahn, that would indicate the Sox either don't love Albies, or the secondary pieces weren't that great.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 06:23 PM)
Yeah, if we are to believe Hahn, that would indicate the Sox either don't love Albies, or the secondary pieces weren't that great.

I'm surprised that the braves wouldn't beef up the back end... with their depth of prospects... huh. Odd.

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 06:25 PM)
I'm surprised that the braves wouldn't beef up the back end... with their depth of prospects... huh. Odd.

Definitely like Jimenez/Cease over Albies/Newcomb, even despite Newcomb's handedness.

Albies just was never a good fit for us.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 08:35 PM)
Definitely like Jimenez/Cease over Albies/Newcomb, even despite Newcomb's handedness.

Albies just was never a good fit for us.

Why not?

Not exactly flush with SS.

One issue is that a lot of these guys don't really have a position. They will hopefully grow into one.

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 06:36 PM)
Why not?

Not exactly flush with SS.

One issue is that a lot of these guys don't really have a position. They will hopefully grow into one.

He's ready to play now.

That means moving TA/Moncada/Sanchez...considering where our window is, I'd have preferred Jimenez as well.

I think the only team I would have been surprised to see make a deal for Q was the Astros. Jeff Luhnow hoards his prospects and I think they are the team that Hahn was referring to as being named alot but didnt try that hard to get him.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 08:39 PM)
He's ready to play now.

That means moving TA/Moncada/Sanchez...considering where our window is, I'd have preferred Jimenez as well.

I could go either way. Jimenez certainly has the better hit tool.

They're going to have to address Sanchez/Saladino soon enough. Sanchez is #15 in WAR - middle of the pack is well above utility infielder. Could get something decent for him (young pitching! ).

QUOTE (Tony @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 08:13 PM)
Sources: The Braves made a strong and serious run at Jose Quintana, with an offer that included 20-year-old SS Ozzie Albies.

Per Passen

Unless the second player was Acuna or Maitan, it wasn't going to be a better front end of a deal.

There is no way that I would have helped the cubs chances of reaching the world series again. Hahn felt differently but as a cub fan growing up in Wilmette, he does not share the animosity that most south side sox fans have for the cubs.

Bob Nightengale's Tweets appeared to confirm that Milwaukee was trying hard to get Quintana.

https://twitter.com/BNightengale/status/885883624641355778

So Epstein was concerned that Hahn would trade Q to the Brewers. Perhaps Hahn should have asked for more from Epstein or went back to the Brewers and given them the last opportunity to trade for him, or maybe held on to Q at least until the end of the trade deadline.

I would never deal with Epstein or the cubs, ever.

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jul 15, 2017 -> 02:51 AM)
There is no way that I would have helped the cubs chances of reaching the world series again. Hahn felt differently but as a cub fan growing up in Wilmette, he does not share the animosity that most south side sox fans have for the cubs.

Bob Nightengale's Tweets appeared to confirm that Milwaukee was trying hard to get Quintana.

So Epstein was concerned that Hahn would trade Q to the Brewers. Perhaps Hahn should have asked for more from Epstein or went back to the Brewers and given them the last opportunity to trade for him, or maybe held on to Q at least until the end of the trade deadline.

It's tricky when you are trading stars (or guys just below the 'star' rung on the ladder) like Q and what you are looking for are young prospects not guys who are close to the bigs or ready for the bigs. Considering the plan is to acquire prospects, not guys ready for prime time, I don't understand your angst about the deal. We got the No. 1 and 2 prospects (I realize rankings mean squat but still they are 1 and 2) from a team that is known for its prospects. So really I don't see the problem if we accept our current situation (only wanting prospects). This Eloy guy on paper is the real deal. And Cease is a legitimate pitching prospect. Frankly I'd rather get the outfield situation addressed for the future and that has happened with Robert, Eloy and Avi (or another of the prospects we have).

I have a gut feeling our defense will forevermore be a problem, but we'll see. I'm surprised you are so down on the Eloy/Cease return for a pitcher who frankly is good to very good, definitely not lockdown great.

Before people think I'm softening, I'm still in theory against this type of rebuild. But as a Sox fan I finally came to accept it after the one poster said I was ruining the board and after accepting it, I can accept that this trade IN THEORY makes sense. I'd rather get a stud outfielder right now than the stud Braves shortstop. Anderson still has time to be a star. We'll know by the end of next season probably whether he's Jeter-like or just another Luis Alvarado.

I did read Epstein said the Cubs have a five-year window where they want to win as many WS as possible. Q is so likeable it would be less painful to watch the postseason with him pitching. And if Epstein is true, perhaps the Sox will take over in 5 years when the Cubs are about done and Chicago could account for eight of the next 10 WS titles between the Sox and Cubs. (Not that I want the Cubs to win).

Edited by greg775

QUOTE (miracleon35th @ Jul 14, 2017 -> 09:51 PM)

Eloy Jimenez is better than anyone the Brewers could offer. It was a great deal.