Levine: Sox won't offer more than 7 years for either player

bmags

1 minute ago, ChiSox59 said:

To be fair, you’ve found ways to be optimistic throughout this entire process. 

I think Machado is still possible. Harper isn’t signing with the White Sox, IMO.  

I’d argue there’s been very few reasons to be pessimistic.  We know the Sox are involved with both guys and the markets are somewhat limited with none of the traditional big spenders looking to do something crazy.  We have a new TV deal in place that will certainly pay us more and provide a larger equity stake for our most important owner.  With the Bulls & Hawks in ugly positions as well, there is a financial incentive to actually bring in star or two to drive up ratings for the network.  Also, most of the leaks so far IMO have reeked of being obvious agent plants.  I never bought into the smoke as some other did.  As long as the money is there, and that takes the biggest leap of faith, I like our chances to land one of these guys.

By the way, I did say Moncada following the YES Netork was a bit worrisome, so I’ve shown some cracks 😜 

1 minute ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

This is just getting sadistic at this point. Flat out selfish really...there's no way you're telling me Harper/Machado don't know where they are signing. Probably agents haggling over $5M of a $300+M contract...or what sports drink will be in the vending machines or something stupid. 

Bears negotiated the largest ever contract for a defensive player in NFL history with Khalil Mack in like 12 hours.

People will say "well that's the NFL! Its different"...and my response to that is maybe baseball should take some cues. This whole thing is absurd.

2 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

This is just getting sadistic at this point. Flat out selfish really...there's no way you're telling me Harper/Machado don't know where they are signing. Probably agents haggling over $5M of a $300+M contract...or what sports drink will be in the vending machines or something stupid. 

Wait, what? It’s sadistic because grown men are frustrated and want to know where these men will work in the spring? Chill out, they can take however long they want to take. They’re trying to make a huge life decision and maximize their financial windfall (and who can blame them!)

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, KiwiSox said:

Bears negotiated the largest ever contract for a defensive player in NFL history with Khalil Mack in like 12 hours.

People will say "well that's the NFL! Its different"...and my response to that is maybe baseball should take some cues. This whole thing is absurd.

And everyone is talking about baseball in the winter. So, it works. 

2 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

I am sure his agent wishes he could have had a few more teams to visits.

Of course that's why they only picked the White Sox. You can be as cynical as you want but that makes no sense.

52 minutes ago, Blackout Friday said:

Which is what?

not doubting you, just been busy all day and maybe I missed something. 

Reports that the Sox are willing to offer 10 years. Reports that the Phillies and Nats are meeting or have met with Harper. Followed by reports stating that the Sox won’t go over 7 years. 

Doesn’t take too much to realize that agents are trying to bolster the market, while the Sox are trying to mitigate the bidding. 

Leads one to believe that the Sox have offers that agents might be trying to drive up.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Of course that's why they only picked the White Sox. You can be as cynical as you want but that makes no sense.

The agent would have gone to any team with an interest. The White Sox have an interest, obviously. Whether that is enough we will find out. Buster Olney has been reporting what Levine is saying since the Winter Meetings. As I poster earlier, he literally laughed at the White Sox chances for landing one of these guys. I was a bit stunned. I thought it was a bit unprofessional.

They were interested in Tanaka several years ago, and went in with the same, we are going to be great for years, win so many championships stuff, but were short when it came to money. KW was also pissed off last year Ohtanis people didn’t give them a final chance to tell them why he should take their $300k. Admittedly that was all they could offer, but to think they actually thought they could talk him into it is another thing. 

If they offer a ton of money and 10 years, I will be pleasantly surprised, but I will believe the Sox have the best offer when someone actually signs it.

Edited by Dick Allen

28 minutes ago, Orlando said:

If they don’t, they are literally shooting themselves in the foot. They are doing themselves no favors

These leaks aren’t necessarily coming from “them”. Sure they spoke with a great deal of confidence at points and have made it no secret that they were interested in Machado / Harper.  But they can’t control what the media says and they can’t MAKE either of those dudes sign. They can get aggressive with their offers and I am sure they have, but they also can’t just offer half a billion over 10 years to get these dudes and cripple the franchise either. They can’t and shouldn’t negotiate against themselves.