2020 MLB Draft Thread

soxfan49

1 minute ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

Isn’t this a good thing for the Sox if it is the Angels since they pick in front of us? 

Not necessarily. Still have to draft someone and offer enough to get the pick back next year. So they'll target someone who wants slot or overslot it would seem.

Edited by soxfan2014
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

Not necessarily. Still have to draft someone and offer enough to get the pick back next year. So they'll target someone who wants slot or overslot it would seem.

Or someone who is otherwise withdrawing from the draft

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I've heard the rumor as well. It is in fact the Angels and it's a player ranked in the 60's on pipeline that isn't expected to sign with any club. It's a joke if they do this. 

It really doesn't make sense as the one writer said. The draftees are only guaranteed 100,000 this year. The rest is deferred over the next 2 years. If anything, this would be the year to spend big.

Unless this owner expects there to be a lockout/strike next year, then it makes perfect sense.

19 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

I've heard the rumor as well. It is in fact the Angels and it's a player ranked in the 60's on pipeline that isn't expected to sign with any club. It's a joke if they do this. 

So the Sox will then have an additional top prospect to choose from at #11 if the Angels take someone ranked way lower. I love it.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, soxfan2014 said:

That would be garbage to try this on someone who WANTS to actually sign.. miserable... They should be penalized for doing that.

1 minute ago, Squirmin' for Yermin said:

That would be garbage to try this on someone who WANTS to actually sign.. miserable... They should be penalized for doing that.

It would backfire if the person was willing to sign.  If they only offer a minimum deal in bad faith, then the player could file a grievance.

It has to be a pre-arranged deal with someone who won't sign, otherwise it won't work. 

3 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

So what does this get them by punting on the pick? Just that they'll be able to use more of their pool for the 2 though 5 picks? Unused draft money doesn't roll into next year's pool, right?

They would get the 11th pick in next year’s draft and just spend the $4 million that year when their scouts aren’t furloughed. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DirtySox said:

He said it's not Howard it seems. If it's someone new I was going to guess PCA as well. Law's write-up makes him sound super exciting.

Is there any chance they could go big underslot with Blitsko and then huge overslot with Howard and then draft seniors in 3-5?

49 minutes ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Sounds like Bowser 

A student of the game, Bowser loves to talk hitting and has the chance to develop into a run-producing corner infielder at the next level. The one thing that might make it tough is his commitment to Stanford, which his mother attended.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, fathom said:

Is there any chance they could go big underslot with Blitsko and then huge overslot with Howard and then draft seniors in 3-5?

I would love that haul, but I feel like it would be super tough to push Howard that far.

1 minute ago, bmags said:

Sounds like Bowser 

A student of the game, Bowser loves to talk hitting and has the chance to develop into a run-producing corner infielder at the next level. The one thing that might make it tough is his commitment to Stanford, which his mother attended.

Something that came to mind is pitching that commits to Vandy always seems to stick as well.

10 minutes ago, MiddleCoastBias said:

So what does this get them by punting on the pick? Just that they'll be able to use more of their pool for the 2 though 5 picks? Unused draft money doesn't roll into next year's pool, right?

If you don't sign a player, you lose that draft slot's assigned pick value from your pool.