Angels sign Rendon - 7yrs 245

Vote4Pedro

53 minutes ago, ron883 said:

3 posts = every post? You mad because I trashed your garbage Mookie Betts trade idea?

What? I was agreeing with you and joking about those that are requiring all discussion be on likely Hahn moves.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bmags said:

I mean realistically even when someone is a target of the white sox we are talking about a % of like 10% likelihood.

We've lost exactly 1 targeted free agent and we were the high bidder.  I don't think this qualifies as a trend.

3 hours ago, Jack Parkman said:

If they ban it,  you should change it to Geoff Passen. 

I should have done this to start off with... but I like being able to reference the "I won't believe it until I see it from Joff Passen" post on Soxtalk.

Edited by Charlie Haeger's Knuckles
  • Haha 1
  • Love 2

I understand we would be wasting Rendon’s defensive ability, and his offense would be slightly less valuable at 1B, but is giving him 300+ at bats at 1B completely out of the picture?  

This would get his bat in the lineup without having to mess with Moncada’s growing comfortability and confidence, while keeping the better defender at 3B.  It would also allow Madrigal to be a long term affordable piece.  Moncada-Anderson-Madrigal-Rendon could be one of the better infield defenses in baseball.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Apparently, all teams that have been involved with Rendon have been told prior to becoming involved that 7/210 has to be the floor of your offer.

Isn't that what he turned down from the Nationals? Seems like a good starting place to me.

2 minutes ago, TomPickle said:

Isn't that what he turned down from the Nationals? Seems like a good starting place to me.

Nats had a lot of deferred money in the offer and Rendon has no interest in deferred money is the report.

If it was like 50 million, the present value dips below 195 million.

Just now, bmags said:

just want to state I still think the best move left on the board is Rendon.

What's the best way to handle positions if we acquire him?

A)  Move Moncada to RF and have Mazara be your primary DH against RHP, making Collins expendable

or

B)  Move Moncada to 2B and trade Madrigal in a package for a SP

Just now, SoxBlanco said:

What's the best way to handle positions if we acquire him?

A)  Move Moncada to RF and have Mazara be your primary DH against RHP, making Collins expendable

or

B)  Move Moncada to 2B and trade Madrigal in a package for a SP

B) but also just keep Madrigal as he was always a clear cut player that could handle multiple positions while a profile of a guy that can come in day by day and give you competitive at bats. Sox could easily find enough bats for this year and figure out everything next year when they know what they have with Mazara.

24 minutes ago, bmags said:

just want to state I still think the best move left on the board is Rendon.

I agree with you. Mazara as a DH/RF/Platoon against RHP is not bad by any means. 

Rendon is the best possible remaining move the Sox could make. I'm fine with lesser starting pitching options for the short term. 

I'm not getting my hopes up, but if this entire rebuild did not involve us trying for elite talent, what was the point? Clock is ticking on Giolito and Moncada.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, steveno89 said:

I agree with you. Mazara as a DH/RF/Platoon against RHP is not bad by any means. 

Rendon is the best possible remaining move the Sox could make. I'm fine with lesser starting pitching options for the short term. 

I'm not getting my hopes up, but if this entire rebuild did not involve us trying for elite talent, what was the point? Clock is ticking on Giolito and Moncada.

Exactly what I woke up thinking. Imagine getting a 1.000 OPS guy in a lineup that will add Vaughn and Robert and have Madrigal as DEPTH. That is comparable to the best lineups in baseball. An actual Elite thing to have. 

34 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I have zero confidence the Sox are even looking at Rendon at this point.  You don't make the Mazara move right now if Rendon is even a longshot possibility.  

This would be one of the main reasons you'd pivot to Mazara IMO; to allocate your funds to a better player at another position than overpaying for Ozuna/Castellanos.

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Angels sign Rendon - 7yrs 245