Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer

Soxnfins

Just now, SCCWS said:

I wonder if a guy like Wheeler would prefer to stay in NL because of no DH and being familiar w the hitters or would he prefer the AL because the hitters would not be as familiar w his stuff. 

Guys like Wheeler would pitch against the all-star team every week and have a 9 ERA if you rolled up a brinks truck to his house.  

Just now, southsideirish71 said:

There is absolutely zero reason the sox do not come out with one of Cole, Wheeler or Strasburg.  There is no excuse for this that is acceptable.  I could care less on salary or years at this point.  We have two ToR pitchers on the market now who are playoff battle tested.  Get one of them.  Anything else is a failure at this point.  I don't want to see "well we tried or stupid agents and players want money and security".   Get it done.  

100% agree and if they’re afraid to do something massive with Cole or Strasburg, then they have to land Wheeler no matter the cost.

It'll be a sad state of affairs if we miss on the 3rd or 4th best pitching option in a free-agent class. We may not like the numbers that are being thrown around but that's the going rate for solid pitching.

If we commit to these arbitrary contract length restrictions and are resigned to shopping in the bargain bin to fill out the roster, we're going to end up wasting a great young core.

Just now, southsideirish71 said:

Guys like Wheeler would pitch against the all-star team every week and have a 9 ERA if you rolled up a brinks truck to his house.  

Agree. I am saying if he is weighing pretty comparable AL vs NL deals. 

2 minutes ago, SCCWS said:

Agree. I am saying if he is weighing pretty comparable AL vs NL deals. 

I believe he will take the highest offer.  If the Marlins rolled up with 6 years and 140 million the next day he is on TV smiling with his marlins uniform talking about how its his dream to be in Miami.  You will get stories about him vacationing there and how he loves the team.  

Edited by southsideirish71

2 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

It'll be a sad state of affairs if we miss on the 3rd or 4th best pitching option in a free-agent class. We may not like the numbers that are being thrown around but that's the going rate for solid pitching.

If we commit to these arbitrary contract length restrictions and are resigned to shopping in the bargain bin to fill out the roster, we're going to end up wasting a great young core.

And of course, teams have found impactful pitching in that short term bucket...just not the white Sox and they’ve made no changes for us to believe this time will be different.

3 minutes ago, oneofthemikes said:

Yep, we’ll be so concerned with extending them we waste the time they are already here.

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Sounds to me like Phillies went to 6. Sox should try to get creative - maybe an opt out after 3 years instead of going to 6. 

6 years for a guy with his injury history and for a guy who really relies heavily on throwing 98 mph is pretty risky.

So is having Dallas Keuchel being your big pitching addition.

• Like 1

Just now, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Sounds to me like Phillies went to 6. Sox should try to get creative - maybe an opt out after 3 years instead of going to 6. 

6 years for a guy with his injury history and for a guy who really relies heavily on throwing 98 mph is pretty risky.

I agree. 6 years for a guy with a history of injury is a huge risk. There are some better options out there for cheap with less risk. 

1 minute ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

They wouldn’t go six years for Corbin, you think they’ve gone six for Wheeler based on what?

• Chisoxfn changed the title to Zack Wheeler: To the Phils (5yr 118); Sox had made BIGGER offer