Sox Officially Sign Edwin Encarnacion (1YR/$12M), Kodi Medeiros DFA

Orlando

33 minutes ago, Jake said:

The danger with trying to alter a player's launch angle is that there's more than one way to do it and you need to pick the right one. You could keep the swing the same and improve the launch angle by getting a guy to hit the ball more out front (i.e., earlier). Someone else might need a change to their swing path. Another guy might just need to improve his approach and swing at pitches that can be elevated. Sometimes focusing on the desired end result too much can get in the way of finding the right solution.

Right like anything else it is something that requires patience and practice because you are changing something that made you successful your whole life but as someone like JDM discovered, some times that isn't enough when you get to the top of the pyramid.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Lineup before Robert and Madrigal...

Before.                         After

Anderson.                   Anderson

Moncada.                   Moncada

Abreu.                         Abreu

Grandal.                     Grandal

Eloy.                            Eloy

EE.                               EE

Mazara.                      Mazara

Mendick.                    Robert

Engel.                         Madrigal

A few things of note.....

1. I just do not see Renteria taking Abreu out of 3 spot. Even though I dont think that's where he should be when LR and NM come up.

2. There is no way Renteria puts LR and NM at the top of the order when they come up. Hes going to give them time to figure it out. 

2 hours ago, Steve9347 said:

I highly suggest watching a YouTube clip of Eloy’s homers last year. A ball change isn’t keeping those balls from going out of the park. 

a ball change would concern me much more regarding Moncada and Anderson. 

While i agree on Eloy, i have to disagree on Moncada. Look at his exit velo numbers before the juiced ball. He kills the ball, i would be shocked to see a huge fall off from him. I could see it with Tim though.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bmags said:

Right, Lindor and JR were approach driven. JD Martinez was swing driven.

Ramirez struggled like hell for half of last year cause he stopped pulling the ball and tried to beat the shift. After he did away with that he hit like his usual self. 

3 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

There is no way Renteria puts LR and NM at the top of the order when they come up. Hes going to give them time to figure it out. 

Barring some unforseen power surge, Madrigal shouldn't leave the bottom of the order all year. 

27 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

1. I just do not see Renteria taking Abreu out of 3 spot. Even though I dont think that's where he should be when LR and NM come up.

2. There is no way Renteria puts LR and NM at the top of the order when they come up. Hes going to give them time to figure it out. 

The after is so much more balanced than with Mendick and Engel in there. 

Rookies tend to struggle, but Robert and Madrigal are talented enough to make an impact quickly at the MLB level, especially at the bottom of the order where there will be less pressure to produce. 

Damn. This is finally happened. Sox are favorites to win division/and or and make playoffs. What does this tell us about the rebuild? Even though the tank job obviously kickstarted this, look as those of us wanting to never tank getting 3 huge pieces in free agency: Grandal, Keuchel and EE and Gio.

Regardless the pressure is on RR. he will be fired in May if the team starts out lousy the first six weeks.

Team motto: "Pain subsides; Sox rebuild hits stride"

Edited by greg775

1 hour ago, 2Deep said:

Leury is going to be playing everyday in the early going. 

OK I'm completely happy with the Mazara trade now that this is the other side of it.  Team has some real big league depth now and didn't have to handcuff themselves to any long term commitments.

There's still a huge question mark in the rotation but on paper the lineup looks as good as anything since 2006.

40 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Damn. This is finally happened. Sox are favorites to win division/and or and make playoffs. What does this tell us about the rebuild? Even though the tank job obviously kickstarted this, look as those of us wanting to never tank getting 3 huge pieces in free agency: Grandal, Keuchel and EE and Gio.

Regardless the pressure is on RR. he will be fired in May if the team starts out lousy the first six weeks.

Team motto: "Pain subsides; Sox rebuild hits stride"

You really think this rebuild would have went anywhere without tearing it down and getting Moncada, Eloy, and Giolito in return?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So who gets knocked off the 40 man roster with the addition of Keuchel & Encarnación?  I believe these two additions would push us to 41 once final.

I was thinking DFA Zavala and if he makes it through, outright him to Charlotte, but there are a few guys like that.

2 minutes ago, flavum said:

I was thinking DFA Zavala and if he makes it through, outright him to Charlotte, but there are a few guys like that.

Medeiros is another guy I could see them doing that with.  I find it hard to believe they will carry five catchers on their 40 man roster when two of them are Grandal & McCann though, which does support Zavala as guy to try and sneak through.

11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So who gets knocked off the 40 man roster with the addition of Keuchel & Encarnación?  I believe these two additions would push us to 41 once final.

Medeiros is a guy I can see us letting go pretty easily. Way too many walks in 2019, no clear future role on the team. 

Matt Foster could be on the chopping block as well. 

4 minutes ago, sox71 said:

I think Mercedes gets DFAd. 

That would be a shame. He arguably hit just as good as Collins and Robert in AAA. If you combined Collins with Robert you kind of get Mercedes Walk rate below Collins but higher than Robert . Same big power as both . Higher batting average than both Collins and Robert. OBP % higher than Robert but lower than Collins. Slugging % higher than both of them. OPS, wOBA, and wRC+higher than both of them. K% better than both.

• knightni changed the title to Sox Officially Sign Edwin Encarnacion (1YR/$12M), Kodi Medeiros DFA
  • bmags unpinned this topic