Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Orlando

Sox Officially Sign Edwin Encarnacion (1YR/$12M), Kodi Medeiros DFA

Recommended Posts

Just now, bmags said:

Right, Lindor and JR were approach driven. JD Martinez was swing driven.

That said, certainly appears Mazaras is approach driven.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Jake said:

The danger with trying to alter a player's launch angle is that there's more than one way to do it and you need to pick the right one. You could keep the swing the same and improve the launch angle by getting a guy to hit the ball more out front (i.e., earlier). Someone else might need a change to their swing path. Another guy might just need to improve his approach and swing at pitches that can be elevated. Sometimes focusing on the desired end result too much can get in the way of finding the right solution.

Right like anything else it is something that requires patience and practice because you are changing something that made you successful your whole life but as someone like JDM discovered, some times that isn't enough when you get to the top of the pyramid.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Lineup before Robert and Madrigal...

Before.                         After

Anderson.                   Anderson

Moncada.                   Moncada

Abreu.                         Abreu

Grandal.                     Grandal

Eloy.                            Eloy

EE.                               EE

Mazara.                      Mazara

Mendick.                    Robert

Engel.                         Madrigal

A few things of note.....

1. I just do not see Renteria taking Abreu out of 3 spot. Even though I dont think that's where he should be when LR and NM come up.

2. There is no way Renteria puts LR and NM at the top of the order when they come up. Hes going to give them time to figure it out. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Steve9347 said:

I highly suggest watching a YouTube clip of Eloy’s homers last year. A ball change isn’t keeping those balls from going out of the park. 
 

a ball change would concern me much more regarding Moncada and Anderson. 

While i agree on Eloy, i have to disagree on Moncada. Look at his exit velo numbers before the juiced ball. He kills the ball, i would be shocked to see a huge fall off from him. I could see it with Tim though.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, bmags said:

Right, Lindor and JR were approach driven. JD Martinez was swing driven.

Ramirez struggled like hell for half of last year cause he stopped pulling the ball and tried to beat the shift. After he did away with that he hit like his usual self. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

 There is no way Renteria puts LR and NM at the top of the order when they come up. Hes going to give them time to figure it out. 

Barring some unforseen power surge, Madrigal shouldn't leave the bottom of the order all year. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, 2Deep said:

Lineup before Robert and Madrigal...

Before.                         After

Anderson.                   Anderson

Moncada.                   Moncada

Abreu.                         Abreu

Grandal.                     Grandal

Eloy.                            Eloy

EE.                               EE

Mazara.                      Mazara

Mendick.                    Robert

Engel.                         Madrigal

A few things of note.....

1. I just do not see Renteria taking Abreu out of 3 spot. Even though I dont think that's where he should be when LR and NM come up.

2. There is no way Renteria puts LR and NM at the top of the order when they come up. Hes going to give them time to figure it out. 

The after is so much more balanced than with Mendick and Engel in there. 

Rookies tend to struggle, but Robert and Madrigal are talented enough to make an impact quickly at the MLB level, especially at the bottom of the order where there will be less pressure to produce. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn. This is finally happened. Sox are favorites to win division/and or and make playoffs. What does this tell us about the rebuild? Even though the tank job obviously kickstarted this, look as those of us wanting to never tank getting 3 huge pieces in free agency: Grandal, Keuchel and EE and Gio.

Regardless the pressure is on RR. he will be fired in May if the team starts out lousy the first six weeks.

Team motto: "Pain subsides; Sox rebuild hits stride"

Edited by greg775

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Is he doing on the app or through Twitter?  I did not see anything on the Athletic.

App. Community section.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 2Deep said:

Lineup before Robert and Madrigal...

Before.                         After

Anderson.                   Anderson

Moncada.                   Moncada

Abreu.                         Abreu

Grandal.                     Grandal

Eloy.                            Eloy

EE.                               EE

Mazara.                      Mazara

Mendick.                    Robert

Engel.                         Madrigal

A few things of note.....

1. I just do not see Renteria taking Abreu out of 3 spot. Even though I dont think that's where he should be when LR and NM come up.

2. There is no way Renteria puts LR and NM at the top of the order when they come up. Hes going to give them time to figure it out. 

Leury is going to be playing everyday in the early going. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

OK I'm completely happy with the Mazara trade now that this is the other side of it.  Team has some real big league depth now and didn't have to handcuff themselves to any long term commitments.

There's still a huge question mark in the rotation but on paper the lineup looks as good as anything since 2006.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd line them up like this:

3B Yoan
LF Eloy
1B Abreu
C Grandal
DH Encarnacion
RF Mazara
SS Anderson
CF Robert/Engel/Garcia
2B Madrigal/Garcia/Mendick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, greg775 said:

Damn. This is finally happened. Sox are favorites to win division/and or and make playoffs. What does this tell us about the rebuild? Even though the tank job obviously kickstarted this, look as those of us wanting to never tank getting 3 huge pieces in free agency: Grandal, Keuchel and EE and Gio.

Regardless the pressure is on RR. he will be fired in May if the team starts out lousy the first six weeks.

Team motto: "Pain subsides; Sox rebuild hits stride"

You really think this rebuild would have went anywhere without tearing it down and getting Moncada, Eloy, and Giolito in return?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The trending players on FG are as follows

Encarnacion

Ryu

Puig

Moncada

Bentances

Anderson

Trout

Grandal

Jimenez

Mazara

seems to be quite a bit of interest in the Sox. 

Edited by mqr
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mqr said:

Barring some unforseen power surge, Madrigal shouldn't leave the bottom of the order all year. 

Even if he leads the team on OBP? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, NotHahn said:

Even if he leads the team on OBP? 

I don't think he will without adding any pop, but sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So who gets knocked off the 40 man roster with the addition of Keuchel & Encarnación?  I believe these two additions would push us to 41 once final.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So who gets knocked off the 40 man roster with the addition of Keuchel & Encarnación?  I believe these two additions would push us to 41 once final.

I was thinking DFA Zavala and if he makes it through, outright him to Charlotte, but there are a few guys like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, flavum said:

I was thinking DFA Zavala and if he makes it through, outright him to Charlotte, but there are a few guys like that.

Medeiros is another guy I could see them doing that with.  I find it hard to believe they will carry five catchers on their 40 man roster when two of them are Grandal & McCann though, which does support Zavala as guy to try and sneak through.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

So who gets knocked off the 40 man roster with the addition of Keuchel & Encarnación?  I believe these two additions would push us to 41 once final.

Medeiros is a guy I can see us letting go pretty easily. Way too many walks in 2019, no clear future role on the team. 

Matt Foster could be on the chopping block as well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wonder if the 40 man issues are why the signings haven't been announced?  Obviously teams know we have to remove someone so not sure you could be working on a 2:1 trade or getting a return not requiring 40 man placement.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×