Dane Dunning - Expectations now and going forward

ron883

We have seen 2 starts from Dunning so far. He doesn't have an overwhelming fastball, but he has good offspeed stuff and very good control. Granted, he faced some lousy teams. 

I for one am super excited to see a guy come up and have the control he has displayed. Stuff isn't overwhelming, but he can place it wherever he wants. 

I'm really hoping he had the endurance to be our #3 in the playoffs if Cease doesn't step it up. Going forward, he can be one hell of a #4 and probably a #3 pitcher.  What are your early grades and expectations?

Edited by Yearnin' for Yermin

Dunning has been fantastic so far. And I’m not just looking at his results...I’m looking at his stuff/command. He can spot all of his pitches, and his fastball has a lot of movement. Falling behind 2-0 or 3-1 isn’t the end of the world for Dunning because it’s tough to square up that fastball. Compare that to a guy like Lopez or Cease...even though they throw harder, when the hitter knows a fastball is coming, there’s a good chance it’ll be hit hard. 

After only two starts, I’m very high on Dunning being a part of the future rotation. I’d even feel pretty good about him pitching in a game 3 of a playoff series this year. 

• Thanks 1

Dunning should stay in the rotation at this point even after everyone gets back from injury, even if that means ReyLo and/or Rodon to the bullpen. Hell, even a not stretched out Dunning seems to get us more innings than a stretched out ReyLo, and much more competitive too. 

• Like 2

This year they probably build him towards 80-100 pitches.  Don't think innings will necessarily come into play.  Next year maybe innings limits although he will be two years out from TJ.  In the future, I expect a very solid dependable mid rotation or better starter who you can expect 6 plus innings most nights.

50 minutes ago, SouthWallace said:

Please suck less than Cease and keep them in games for as long as he can go.  No pressure but he's the best option they have right now.

People being awful hard on Cease for basically keeping the team in every single game (except his first).  Yeah, he needs to rein in the walks.  But he has been effective, if not efficient.  For a 24 year old, who just made his 20th appearance, I don't get why people feel the need to jump on him.  Since his first start he hasn't allowed more than 2 runs.  I get that he isn't going deep into games, and that he is walking a tightrope out there, but still.  It isn't like he is garbage.  And with the stuff he has, there is reason to see front of the rotation potential.  And even if he never completely figures out the control, he can still be a good starter.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, turnin' two said:

People being awful hard on Cease for basically keeping the team in every single game (except his first).  Yeah, he needs to rein in the walks.  But he has been effective, if not efficient.  For a 24 year old, who just made his 20th appearance, I don't get why people feel the need to jump on him.  Since his first start he hasn't allowed more than 2 runs.  I get that he isn't going deep into games, and that he is walking a tightrope out there, but still.  It isn't like he is garbage.  And with the stuff he has, there is reason to see front of the rotation potential.  And even if he never completely figures out the control, he can still be a good starter.  

Among qualified starters Cease has the worst FIP and second worst xFIP in baseball, worst fWAR, and tied for worst BB/9. He has been pretty bad, but to his credit he is somehow keeping teams from torching him like they should be.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Yearnin' for Yermin said:

We have seen 2 starts from Dunning so far. He doesn't have an overwhelming fastball, but he has good offspeed stuff and very good control. Granted, he faced some lousy teams. 

I for one am super excited to see a guy come up and have the control he has displayed. Stuff isn't overwhelming, but he can place it wherever he wants. 

I'm really hoping he had the endurance to be our #3 in the playoffs if Cease doesn't step it up. Going forward, he can be one hell of a #4 and probably a #3 pitcher.  What are your early grades and expectations?

So far Dunning looks like he can be a really solid #4 or 5 pitcher that keeps you in ball games.

• Like 1