Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
southsider2k5

Kopech update

Recommended Posts

9 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

The White Sox are not making moves to send a message to Kopech.  The only message they are sending is that they thinking they can win it this year, and they aren't going to hold back from trying.

We definitely sent down Mendick to send a message to Kopech.

Edited by Rowand44
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So you are an awful teammate if you opt out during a pandemic, comimg off of an injury, have mental heath issues, are expecting a child, and going through a divorce. A good high school or little league teammate, whatever level you are “coaching”, would never even miss a practice because the team comes before anything else. Let me be the first to write, I am glad I don’t have a kid on your team.

And the WhiteSox making the playoffs for the first time in 12 years are making personnel moves to send Kopech a message. Can there be a hotter take than that?

Edited by Dick Allen
  • Like 4
  • Love 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Tony said:

I ask because you’re making a TON of assumptions off of experiences you think you had, but didn’t. I asked for what level of sport you played at competitively, you failed to answer. I suspect I know why, but I digress. 

What I can assume is you never played professionally, for money. Yes, all these players love playing baseball, but they do it for a living. It’s their job, their main source of income to provide for their family. This isn’t a High School team trying to win a district championship. Stop treating it the same way. 

You’re trying to romanticize this into something it isn’t. These guys aren’t sitting around talking about their love of the game, doing it as a team, doing it for Chicago. It’s a business. They want to perform to their best ability, because it’s their job. Moreover, if I had a teammate, either on a baseball team or a teammate at an office job that was going through a personal matter, I would support them and do everything in my power to help them get back to a good mental state as soon as possible. I don’t really know what the other option is? 
 

It’s fairly simple. I’d be shocked if Kopech is an issue with anyone on the team. If it is, with enough players upset, I’m sure they would trade him if they felt like it would impact the locker room moving forward. But I don’t see that happening for a number of different reasons. 

 

68747470733a2f2f73332e616d617a6f6e6177732e636f6d2f776174747061642d6d656469612d736572766963652f53746f7279496d6167652f717972644c4f62577461776e33673d3d2d3735393837353233382e313562323663393261613331373231633836393330343532353131352e676966.gif

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

So you are an awful teammate if you opt out during a pandemic, comimg off of an injury, have mental heath issues, are expecting a child, and going through a divorce. A good high school or little league teammate, whatever level you are “coaching”, would never even miss a practice because the team comes before anything else. Let me be the first to write, I am glad I don’t have a kid on your team.

And the WhiteSox making the playoffs for the first time in 12 years are making personnel moves to send Kopech a message. Can there be a hotter take than that?

It’s approaching Jack “HoT tAkE” Parkman levels

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Interesting read to put it lightly. 

The biggest factor that put me solidly in the defend Kopech opting out camp was actually the financial aspect. I believe someone here had said it here months ago. With him going through a divorce Vanessa may attempt to collect alimony. I'm not saying she is, this is obviously speculation, but lets see what happens *if* she were to do this.

1. With her being a a famous actress/"wealthy" you can assume she is going to have a pretty damn good divorce attorney.

2. Right now Michael is still a prospect. I know he played in 4 games in 2018 but you can't really base the amount of money he is going to make over a career on that.

3. Had Michael played and performed well this year any decent lawyer would have definitely used that to try and increase the $$$ Vanessa will be getting.

 

I think there are a lot of other valid reasons for him opting out but him not playing could have *saved* him millions of dollars throughout his lifetime. I'm not an expert and if anyone is familiar with divorce on professional athletes I'd love to hear what you think. 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, DoUEvenShift said:

Interesting read to put it lightly. 

The biggest factor that put me solidly in the defend Kopech opting out camp was actually the financial aspect. I believe someone here had said it here months ago. With him going through a divorce Vanessa may attempt to collect alimony. I'm not saying she is, this is obviously speculation, but lets see what happens *if* she were to do this.

1. With her being a a famous actress/"wealthy" you can assume she is going to have a pretty damn good divorce attorney.

2. Right now Michael is still a prospect. I know he played in 4 games in 2018 but you can't really base the amount of money he is going to make over a career on that.

3. Had Michael played and performed well this year any decent lawyer would have definitely used that to try and increase the $$$ Vanessa will be getting.

 

I think there are a lot of other valid reasons for him opting out but him not playing could have *saved* him millions of dollars throughout his lifetime. I'm not an expert and if anyone is familiar with divorce on professional athletes I'd love to hear what you think. 

 

 

Especially with a child involved.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, hi8is said:

Initially when there was no news released other than his opt-out, anything stated was speculation. After that we learned the choice was multi-faceted...

- Divorce + Newborn on the way
- Concerns about his arm's health
- COVID concerns
- Resulting mental health / personal concerns

All of these things have been expressed from sources directly related to him and are no longer in the world of "speculation".

Speculation included things like, "Venessa cheated on him" and "the child isn't his own".

Let's all be happy he's resuming throwing activity, wish him the best for our team, and be supportive.

Right, plus concerns about lack of spring training and uncertainty about team role—I heard it was multi-faceted as well, though no one really knows other than him and those close to him.  I think some are making it a little simpler and more sympathetic-sounding than it likely is (how dare we fault him for simply saving a BABY?) to prove a point.  
 

He made a career decision.  He’s entitled to that.  Fans of the team are entitled to be annoyed he’s not playing.  I am, though I wish him well as I would any stranger.  None of us has a personal relationship with him, and there are no personal obligations flowing either direction, which is why I find the language surrounding Kopech a little strange.  Not sure any of us needs to be “supportive” for example, or that he needs our “support” whatever form that would take. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

 

"What is your similar situation? How much money have you earned by playing a sport professionally, as your career? "

What does money have to do for or against my point? I'm talking about being in a locker room with teammates and knowing that you can trust and depend on each other. Money has nothing to do with it. In fact, money corrupts this ideal because today, pro athletes abandon their teammates all the time for money. Also, what does money matter? Kopech and his teammates will be millionaires whether he played this summer or not. But his teammates might not have a World Series ring this fall because he chose to sit out. His teammates are aware of this. 

 

No good teammate in professional sports wants anything but health and prosperity for their teammates. It's why no one thinks Allen Robinson is selfish in the Bears locker room; they all get this is a ruthless industry and you have to get yours when you can and they are rooting for him to get paid as much as he is.

In the same scope, media and fans are really the only people that question players health and injuries and etc. So if Kopech thought he wasn't prepared to be healthy and focused and etc, his teammates wouldn't consider him selfish at all. He would be doing what's best for everyone! they're rooting for him to figure it out and get well. Am I saying all teammates are like this? No, I'm not, but the good ones and the captains and leaders absolutely are. Selfish people exist in all walks of life and people who don't care about others do too, but in general this would be viewed as an honest and selfless move to get better by teammates, not a selfish one. The only people who question this bs and play this gossip card are guys that don't sit in that locker room as a peer.

Edited by Look at Ray Ray Run

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wish Mike, Vanessa and their child on the way well.  I hope for the sake of the child they can at least be there for him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

Let me make one more comment, whether you agree with me or not. 

I think the White Sox administration agrees with me also, no matter what they may be saying on the topic. 

I just saw that Crochet just got called up. And Stievers being called up last week?  

You don't think that's the Sox administration sending a message to Kopech. I think it is. 

What message could they possibly be sending him?

Its not like he can change his mind and opt back in at this point, its too late, so I dont see what they would be trying to accomplish insofar as it relates to him.

Are you suggesting that by bringing these guys up they are saying regardless of how good you look next ST, we've already moved on? Because I'm pretty sure RH isn't irrational like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

Both of these two players are suffering still from the effects. One of whom is being continually savaged on this board. Don't you think their teammates appreciate their sacrifice for the team, putting the team before themselves. And again, make no mistake, their decision to play shows that teammate mentality that I mentioned in my first post. Yes, you think what Kopech did is okay and others might too, but there will be guys not happy with Kopech next spring. Especially, if a young pitcher, not Kopech with Kopech's stuff, gets shelled in a game that keeps the Sox out of the World Series. That is the nature of sports.

I don't think Moncada is getting "savaged" on the board. He's taken some heat in game threads. I think most Sox fans realize he's a stud.

As far as criticism, when "my team" (the team I follow) has this kind of a record, it's hard to blast anybody. Even EE. I still think he can be valuable in the postseason and already has had a few big hits. Robert ... he may have slumped some but he passes the eye test greatly and also has produced with the bat. I see no reason to freak out about any individual player.  I don't even despise Mazura though I am starting to think he simply can't produce. Some guys can't in the bigs. Again, I wouldn't bury him cause before you know it, he could be a postseason hero. Never know. Most of sox players seem to have the ability to get hot.

Edited by greg775

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not counting on Kopech in 21, anything he does is a bonus at this point. I wish him good luck.

Edited by Soxfest
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

No good teammate in professional sports wants anything but health and prosperity for their teammates. It's why no one thinks Allen Robinson is selfish in the Bears locker room; they all get this is a ruthless industry and you have to get yours when you can and they are rooting for him to get paid as much as he is.

In the same scope, media and fans are really the only people that question players health and injuries and etc. So if Kopech thought he wasn't prepared to be healthy and focused and etc, his teammates wouldn't consider him selfish at all. He would be doing what's best for everyone! they're rooting for him to figure it out and get well. Am I saying all teammates are like this? No, I'm not, but the good ones and the captains and leaders absolutely are. Selfish people exist in all walks of life and people who don't care about others do too, but in general this would be viewed as an honest and selfless move to get better by teammates, not a selfish one. The only people who question this bs and play this gossip card are guys that don't sit in that locker room as a peer.

What about Cedric Benson though? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, elrockinMT said:

How did you get out of the basement? Who left the door unlocked?

There u are, el rockin.... Where u been? Health OK? Or did u just get sick of posting a lot? Congrats on Sox making playoffs. I contend you are the greatest sox fan I've known. Never a mean word.

  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, greg775 said:

I don't think Moncada is getting "savaged" on the board. He's taken some heat in game threads. I think most Sox fans realize he's a stud.

As far as criticism, when "my team" (the team I follow) has this kind of a record, it's hard to blast anybody. Even EE. I still think he can be valuable in the postseason and already has had a few big hits. Robert ... he may have slumped some but he passes the eye test greatly and also has produced with the bat. I see no reason to freak out about any individual player.  I don't even despise Mazura though I am starting to think he simply can't produce. Some guys can't in the bigs. Again, I wouldn't bury him cause before you know it, he could be a postseason hero. Never know. Most of sox players seem to have the ability to get hot.

I was talking about Mazara as the one being savaged on this board. 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

So you are an awful teammate if you opt out during a pandemic, comimg off of an injury, have mental heath issues, are expecting a child, and going through a divorce. A good high school or little league teammate, whatever level you are “coaching”, would never even miss a practice because the team comes before anything else. Let me be the first to write, I am glad I don’t have a kid on your team.

And the WhiteSox making the playoffs for the first time in 12 years are making personnel moves to send Kopech a message. Can there be a hotter take than that?

Way to take my comments and take them to a ridiculous extreme and then make a sarcastic comment on your ridiculous take to prove your point. That's a logical and intelligent way to put forth your point. 

Let me return the favor: So you're saying that you believe that on any team it should always be "every man for himself" and you think the goal of all sports is get yours and screw the team. Oh, okay, I now agree with you. 

See how that goes. 

Also, I wouldn't want a parent like you to have a kid on my team because you're one of those parents who thinks is okay for kids to miss practice for a haircut or to go shopping with the family because family comes first. 

On you second comment. I know we can't, but I would bet you big money and even give you odds that Stievers and Crochet (not sure how to spell their names and don't feel like looking it up) don't throw a pitch in the post season. And when Kopech starts out next year with an extended stay in the minors, can I come on her and say I told you so. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, vilehoopster said:

Way to take my comments and take them to a ridiculous extreme and then make a sarcastic comment on your ridiculous take to prove your point. That's a logical and intelligent way to put forth your point. 

Let me return the favor: So you're saying that you believe that on any team it should always be "every man for himself" and you think the goal of all sports is get yours and screw the team. Oh, okay, I now agree with you. 

See how that goes. 

Also, I wouldn't want a parent like you to have a kid on my team because you're one of those parents who thinks is okay for kids to miss practice for a haircut or to go shopping with the family because family comes first. 

On you second comment. I know we can't, but I would bet you big money and even give you odds that Stievers and Crochet (not sure how to spell their names and don't feel like looking it up) don't throw a pitch in the post season. And when Kopech starts out next year with an extended stay in the minors, can I come on her and say I told you so. 

Dude lol... while I agree that I value dependable people.   You tone is so vomit worthy.

 As I have played sports, been a coach and an official I can tell you are one of these guys that tells the coach what they should do... gets thrown out of games for yellling at the officials, and berates his kids in public.

 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

'Y'all literally' is my go to 2020 phrase. I was hoping our dear Notorious RBG would hold on until December 30 so as to facilitate a New Years Eve storybook nuclear option in DC. Vaya Con Dios. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, harkness99 said:

Dude lol... while I agree that I value dependable people.   You tone is so vomit worthy.

 As I have played sports, been a coach and an official I can tell you are one of these guys that tells the coach what they should do... gets thrown out of games for yellling at the officials, and berates his kids in public.

 

 

As long as you've decided to make this personal and imply that for your opinion you're better person than I. Let me make my reply also personal. 

First of all anyone who starts a typed statement with "Dude" loses ALL credibility. 

Second, you're a official. One of those guys, not good enough to have really played and been part of a real locker room and team and understand what I'm talking about, but you still want to be involved in sports so he becomes an official. 

LOL, Dude. 

  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

Way to take my comments and take them to a ridiculous extreme and then make a sarcastic comment on your ridiculous take to prove your point. That's a logical and intelligent way to put forth your point. 

Let me return the favor: So you're saying that you believe that on any team it should always be "every man for himself" and you think the goal of all sports is get yours and screw the team. Oh, okay, I now agree with you. 

See how that goes. 

Also, I wouldn't want a parent like you to have a kid on my team because you're one of those parents who thinks is okay for kids to miss practice for a haircut or to go shopping with the family because family comes first. 

On you second comment. I know we can't, but I would bet you big money and even give you odds that Stievers and Crochet (not sure how to spell their names and don't feel like looking it up) don't throw a pitch in the post season. And when Kopech starts out next year with an extended stay in the minors, can I come on her and say I told you so. 

You said you wanted to make it personal with him. That is way too personal. 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

Way to take my comments and take them to a ridiculous extreme and then make a sarcastic comment on your ridiculous take to prove your point. That's a logical and intelligent way to put forth your point. 

Let me return the favor: So you're saying that you believe that on any team it should always be "every man for himself" and you think the goal of all sports is get yours and screw the team. Oh, okay, I now agree with you. 

See how that goes. 

Also, I wouldn't want a parent like you to have a kid on my team because you're one of those parents who thinks is okay for kids to miss practice for a haircut or to go shopping with the family because family comes first. 

On you second comment. I know we can't, but I would bet you big money and even give you odds that Stievers and Crochet (not sure how to spell their names and don't feel like looking it up) don't throw a pitch in the post season. And when Kopech starts out next year with an extended stay in the minors, can I come on her and say I told you so. 

Kopech hasn't seen real game action in 2 years, of course he is going to start in the minors. That isn't really an I told you so moment.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, DoUEvenShift said:

Interesting read to put it lightly. 

The biggest factor that put me solidly in the defend Kopech opting out camp was actually the financial aspect. I believe someone here had said it here months ago. With him going through a divorce Vanessa may attempt to collect alimony. I'm not saying she is, this is obviously speculation, but lets see what happens *if* she were to do this.

1. With her being a a famous actress/"wealthy" you can assume she is going to have a pretty damn good divorce attorney.

2. Right now Michael is still a prospect. I know he played in 4 games in 2018 but you can't really base the amount of money he is going to make over a career on that.

3. Had Michael played and performed well this year any decent lawyer would have definitely used that to try and increase the $$$ Vanessa will be getting.

 

I think there are a lot of other valid reasons for him opting out but him not playing could have *saved* him millions of dollars throughout his lifetime. I'm not an expert and if anyone is familiar with divorce on professional athletes I'd love to hear what you think. 

 

 

Likely will be a non final order pending his development. With a child he has a 21 year engagement plan which they will need to negotiate. He is fortunate that she is also self sufficient. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×