Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

Teams aren't spending money and dragging things out to suppress contracts. So if Liam gets 3 and 40 he probably takes it to avoid getting 3 and 27 next month. 

A lot of teams still don’t have their operating budgets. Contracts absolutely could rise over the next few months if attendance estimations rise the next few months.

6 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Hahn has implied they aren’t done yet, so they’ll certainly be adding a reliever and a starter before the offseason is over.  And let’s be honest, they purposely leaked that adding Eaton instead of a pricier OF would allow them to do other things and that to me is clear indication that the pursuit of Hendriks is real.  Obviously no guarantee they get him, but I do think he’s the #1 priority.

TALK ME OFF THE LEDGE 😜

39 minutes ago, fathom said:

Bernstein today had a long segment where he brought up a conversation he had with a Sox source. He said all the moves they made/make will only be for one year, and not to expect any multi-year big moves.  Seemed to imply they are considering waiting until the deadline for a closer.  Also said he was told the team would never sign someone to a mega-deal, as they don’t believe it’s worth it (Heyward was the example).  They do have money still to spend, but they’re too nervous about the pandemic to tie it up for more than 2021.

After the Nightenbomb with Tony LaRussa, I'd be more inclined to believe Nightengale than Bernstein's "source."

That's just me tho.

Just now, SonofaRoache said:

Well it is clear that free agency broke. 

Why, no one has signed for less than people thought they would yet?  There’s just no rush for these teams right now. Some article today quoted an NL GM as saying they had basically no discussions during the Winter Meetings.

• Thanks 1

Bernstein not exactly going out on a limb claiming the Sox won't get Hendriks.  Even if he has zero actual inside info, he is smart enough to know this isn't a bad bet.

Pitchers, and especially relievers essentially fit on any team.  Every club could use him and for the most part every team can afford him.  If I were an oddsmaker I'd put the Sox at no better than 10/1 to end up with him. 

43 minutes ago, fathom said:

Bernstein today had a long segment where he brought up a conversation he had with a Sox source. He said all the moves they made/make will only be for one year, and not to expect any multi-year big moves.  Seemed to imply they are considering waiting until the deadline for a closer.  Also said he was told the team would never sign someone to a mega-deal, as they don’t believe it’s worth it (Heyward was the example).  They do have money still to spend, but they’re too nervous about the pandemic to tie it up for more than 2021.

If this source is correct, then this means that offer to Machado was a dog and pony show. Or the contract to Wheeler was designed so that he wouldn't take it. Jason Heyward's contract was huge, but he wasn't that good to receive that offer. 

I would not put much stock into Bernstein's "segment."

The Sox might not spend much more, but Bernstein doesn't know shit.  

What would be the point of waiting until the deadline to get a closer anyways?  When the Cubs did that, they gave up Gleyber Torres for 2 months of a closer.  

So their plan is "let's see how many games we can lose without a closer, then after that happens, let's give up our best prospect for 20 innings of work."  

I know it's the White Sox we are talking about, but that doesn't make sense at all.  

6 minutes ago, fathom said:

Why, no one has signed for less than people thought they would yet?  There’s just no rush for these teams right now. Some article today quoted an NL GM as saying they had basically no discussions during the Winter Meetings.

We shall see. The big boys will get paid but we shall see about the middle class. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

Idk. I think that they might have been interested, like they were interested in Machado. 

What does that even mean?

Do you think it's impossible for another team not to make a better offer?  

We aren't talking about a 300mil contract here.  

The Sox have successfully signed free agents before.  

Listen to Nightengale above anyone else when it comes to White Sox stuff. If he says Hendriks is the top priority, he is and if I’m not mistaken, the white Sox current strategy is to shut down rumors about players through Nightengale and NBC guys. They did it with Springer and Brantley this year. Not to mention James Fox said they are targeting him. I’m pretty sure Harold has said nothing to shoot it down. And if you are a believer, Al’s beef, Portillos and Cishek all report the same. Al’s before even Nightengale.

3 minutes ago, Sambuca said:

What does that even mean?

Do you think it's impossible for another team not to make a better offer?  

We aren't talking about a 300mil contract here.  

The Sox have successfully signed free agents before.  

It means that they're interested at their price, not necessarily anywhere near what the player is actually willing to sign for. 

43 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Not a fan of waiting for the deadline for a closer. I'm sure Bummer would be great but I would hate the Sox giving up a heavy price at the deadline for a closer. They'd be better off trying to resign Colome for the year if they're scared of the Hendriks commitment.

I have 0 doubt that Aaron or Codi can handle the closer's role but I'd much rather have them available to handle high leverage situations in the 7th or 8th. 

1 minute ago, Jack Parkman said:

It means that they're interested at their price, not necessarily anywhere near what the player is actually willing to sign for. 

Players are going to sign the best deal given to them.

If San Diego didn't make a better offer, Machado would have signed here and then the Sox interest would have been legitimate I guess?

What you're saying is pretty much true for any team trying to sign a player.  That doesn't mean what the Sox are willing to offer will not ever match what the player is willing to sign for.  If that were the case, the Sox wouldn't have Keuchel, Grandal, and even Robert on the roster right now.  

The Sox have shown they will play at the top of the market for a closer, so I am not ruling out a Hendrik's signing because Bernstein claims to have a "source."

Nor am I going to pout and act like the Sox will never sign a good free agent ever again because Machado.  

Not even sure why we are comparing 10/300mil to 3/40mil anyways.  The Sox have proven to do the latter very recently. 

Jeez, you're making me sound like some kind of optimist.  You're good, man.  

10 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

So you don't believe they are talking about something near 3/40 like is being talked about?

To be honest, no. Was surprised when that rumor came out. But then I let the “Tony created a closer” argument change my mind.  Now after thinking about it more, I could see them not wanting 13 million tied up on a closer two years from now.

22 minutes ago, joesaiditstrue said:

TALK ME OFF THE LEDGE 😜

At this point in time, they have improved over last year in RF and SP...while being worse in RP and the Catcher position.    I think a catcher like Flowers or Molina...a closer like Hendriks or Colome and an SP like Q are the bare minimum we see.  Now...step back slowly.

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic