Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread

Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, fathom said:

Guarantee he finds more playing time elsewhere 

Probably but in February it might be more difficult to find a buyer and I'd be shocked if he went before then since his recovery from the throwing arm issues won't end til then. He could want to play for a contender and get a chance to be the starter in the playoffs and World Series.

I totally understand the Colome side. It is noteworthy to say that we are ultimately paying more just trying to ensure we can recreate what Colome did last year, he was fantastic.

But I really worry about Colome's shoulder, and his ability to continue to keep it up. I don't think it was smoke and mirrors, but I do worry how any decline affects his ability.

Hendriks, in my estimation, has more room for error to still be effective. But the side against him has the same concerns! He was used a lot, it could lead to steap decline as we see with relievers.

I just don't see the decline in the stuff, and think he gives us a lot of flexibility to throw a bummer or hendriks earlier in the game to shut it down and get multiple innings. Could you do that with colome? We did largely use him for multiple innings and he was great.

So this is a question about what we can expect the next few years, and that's just a difficult discussion with relievers.

I will say though, I'm just not that concerned about if HEndriks underperforms our ability to trade him out. We may not get a good prospect back, but someone will bank on a recovery with a pitcher. Someone always does. Unless his arm falls off, but we should have insurance on that.

4 minutes ago, bmags said:

I totally understand the Colome side. It is noteworthy to say that we are ultimately paying more just trying to ensure we can recreate what Colome did last year, he was fantastic.

But I really worry about Colome's shoulder, and his ability to continue to keep it up. I don't think it was smoke and mirrors, but I do worry how any decline affects his ability.

Hendriks, in my estimation, has more room for error to still be effective. But the side against him has the same concerns! He was used a lot, it could lead to steap decline as we see with relievers.

I just don't see the decline in the stuff, and think he gives us a lot of flexibility to throw a bummer or hendriks earlier in the game to shut it down and get multiple innings. Could you do that with colome? We did largely use him for multiple innings and he was great.

So this is a question about what we can expect the next few years, and that's just a difficult discussion with relievers.

I will say though, I'm just not that concerned about if HEndriks underperforms our ability to trade him out. We may not get a good prospect back, but someone will bank on a recovery with a pitcher. Someone always does. Unless his arm falls off, but we should have insurance on that.

I just don’t think 2/$26M (what he’d theoretically be owed after the 2021 season) if that big of a financial risk to offset upside he provides at $13M/year and in the playoffs.

Edited by Chicago White Sox

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I just don’t think 2/$26M (what he’d theoretically be owed after the 2021 season) if that big of a financial risk to offset upside he provides at $13M/year and in the playoffs.

It's also just too much fun to have guys like that in the bullpen, and a potential bullpen for October of Hendriks, Bummer, Crochet would be so fun.

And we deserve fun because I am now forced into watching Adam Eaton. But hey, maybe we get bubblegum-blowing-while-hitting-a-walkoff adam eaton.

8 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Imagine come October having Hendriks, Bummer, & Crochet in the 7th, 8th, & 9th to close things out.  And holy fuck if Burdi ever puts it together.

You aren't even considering Heuer and Foster.  The pen has a chance to be super nasty 

Let's get Hendriks and take a breath. Can start year w/3 catchers (Collins and Mercedes) w/Mercedes RH/DH and Collins LH bench bat and primary backup. Not ideal but have to see what Collins can do. Keep a little powder dry for possible trade opportunities such as Musgrove or Darvish. 

In nearly every game thread last year, it was fear, worry and b****ing in the 9th inning and then relief. Sign Hendriks and that goes away. Will it be an overpay...of course. FA relievers are the always overpaid...but if the money is going to be spent...get the best available. With the in-house options and Hendriks added this team becomes stronger. 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Baron said:

Lol you can just post the tweet 

Yeah I’m just worried that someone is going to accuse me of being one of those accounts or start complaining that I’m posting stuff from one of those accounts so that’s why lately I’ve been a little careful. I think it’s fine if it’s White Sox related but I’m still being careful. 

Edited by maloney.adam

22 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

In nearly every game thread last year, it was fear, worry and b****ing in the 9th inning and then relief. Sign Hendriks and that goes away. Will it be an overpay...of course. FA relievers are the always overpaid...but if the money is going to be spent...get the best available. With the in-house options and Hendriks added this team becomes stronger. 

Thank you. If we aren't signing elite position players or starters, then get yourself an elite bullpen going. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, EloyJenkins said:

Sox could have Eric Gagne in his prime and a lot of us would still be nervous 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Orlando said:

He reposted the same article but the wording in the tweet changed from “sights set” to “no. 1 target”. I think this bodes well for us Hendriks fans. When Bob starts doing this, it usually means he’s right.

Bob basically had this from the start. As I explained to the food account your giving him too much credit. He's just refreshing the article. 

• knightni changed the title to Old: Mega Hendriks Speculation Thread
  • Quin pinned this topic
  • Chisoxfn locked and unpinned this topic