Ethan Katz

ron883

Is it too early to call him wildly successful? Rodon gives him a lot of credit. Obviously we know what he did with Giolito. Cease looked great. 

Our pitchers are throwing curveballs again. I'll never understand why Coop had the pitchers ditch that. Coop was really holding this staff back. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, ron883 said:

I wish 670 The Score would have taken up Coop's request to be a pitching analyst for the Cubs and Sox. Would be interesting to see his takes on the White Sox pitching. 

That would be too much like the losing politicians taking analyst jobs on TV to criticize the winners.  Except this would be uglier.  I'd avoid listening to it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, ron883 said:

Is it too early to call him wildly successful? Rodon gives him a lot of credit. Obviously we know what he did with Giolito. Cease looked great. 

Our pitchers are throwing curveballs again. I'll never understand why Coop had the pitchers ditch that. Coop was really holding this staff back. 

So true. Coop was just cashing a paycheck and coasting the last 5 years or so. He probably thought he had a job with the Sox for life no matter what. Thankful ffor what he did for the Sox way back when but also happy as hell that he is gone. 

Cease's performance last night was almost mind boggling. 

I could care less who it was against, until that game he couldn't consistently throw strikes against ANYONE. So I hold almost no regard for the (lack of) quality of Detroit. This, to me, was all about Cease.

He started off pounding the zone, left a couple heaters over the middle for solid singles. All good. But you knew somewhere in the back of your mind the wheels would come off. I remember a 3-0 count. Ace! He's gonna walk this guy. Nope, fought back and got the out. I think he had another maybe two 3-ball counts and made pitches to get outs. SEVEN innings, 0 WALKS. That performance was one of the most amazing games I've seen by a White Sox pitcher in a long time, because it was SO unexpected. 

Yet because of Cease's talent, we have BEEN expecting just what we saw last night. While it won't be 0 walk shutouts every game and there will still be bumps, I think the kid is on the right path.

Edited by kwolf68
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, kwolf68 said:

Cease's performance last night was almost mind boggling. 

I could care less who it was against, until that game he couldn't consistently throw strikes against ANYONE. So I hold almost no regard for the (lack of) quality of Detroit. This, to me, was all about Cease.

He started off pounding the zone, left a couple heaters over the middle for solid singles. All good. But you knew somewhere in the back of your mind the wheels would come off. I remember a 3-0 count. Ace! He's gonna walk this guy. Nope, fought back and got the out. I think he had another maybe two 3-ball counts and made pitches to get outs. SEVEN innings, 0 WALKS. That performance was one of the most amazing games I've seen by a White Sox pitcher in a long time, because it was SO unexpected. 

Yet because of Cease's talent, we have BEEN expecting just what we saw last night. While it won't be 0 walk shutouts every game and there will still be bumps, I think the kid is on the right path.

100%. I said it last night, but I don't care what lineup Cease was facing last night. Nobody was going to hit those curves and sliders he was throwing. 

• Love 1

I keep hearing about Cooper and the No-Curve-Rule, so it's probably true.  But what if some pitcher, say Cease, last year throws a couple of those yakkers, what's Cooper gonna do?  Send him down, hit him, scorn him?  And Ricky just watches?  I don't get it.  I'm glad Cooper is gone.

30 minutes ago, oldsox said:

I keep hearing about Cooper and the No-Curve-Rule, so it's probably true.  But what if some pitcher, say Cease, last year throws a couple of those yakkers, what's Cooper gonna do?  Send him down, hit him, scorn him?  And Ricky just watches?  I don't get it.  I'm glad Cooper is gone.

I have no clue, but he definitely removed it from Gio, Lopez, and Cease's arsenals when it was arguably the best weapon all three of them had.

Gio remade himself. Cease is a work-in-progress and might get it back. Lopez joined Eloy in the afterlife.

12 hours ago, reiks12 said:

Cease just said Lynn helped him with adjustments during his bullpen. I agree though Katz has been great. I wish they would bring back Cooper for the pen though.

Yea Lynn was really a great acquisition in alot of ways. Lynn was also the guy who helped Gibson changed the grip on a couple of his secondary pitches late last season.