Eaton: why is he needed anymore?

ron883

Eaton has been garbage this year. He had one average month then fell off. The Sox have found good OF production from Vaughn, Goodwin, Sheets and Hamilton. Robert is obviously penciled in as the CFer, and Engel as the 4th OF. Eloy will DH I would guess. 

Where does that leave Eaton? I see no reason to keep him on the roster as our OFers return to the lineup. Do you think they will DFA him despite his "veteran presence" and 7 mil salary? Does he have any use in your opinion?

Edited by ron883
  • Fire 2

2 hours ago, ron883 said:

Eaton has been garbage this year. He had one good month then fell off. The Sox have found good OF production from Vaughn, Goodwin, Sheets and Hamilton. Robert is obviously penciled in as the CFer, and Engel as the 4th OF. Eloy will DH I would guess. 

Where does that leave Eaton? I see no reason to keep him on the roster as our OFers return to the lineup. Do you think they will DFA him despite his "veteran presence" and 7 mil salary? Does he have any use in your opinion?

Hamilton & Goodwin aren’t starting caliber players and it’s way too early to make any declarations on Sheets.  If Eaton is 100% healthy then he’s far & away the best option in RF against RHP that we currently have.  The problem is he’s proven that he can’t stay healthy and an upgrade is necessary.

• Like 4

When Engel is back, he should be the RF vs all LHP and even a few RHP. Hamilton is the only one good enough defensively to consider taking the LH half of the platoon away from Eaton but now that Billy isn't batting from the left side the job is Eaton's. Lamb, Goodwin and Sheets have all had their moments but in the end we need Eaton in RF.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

When Engel is back, he should be the RF vs all LHP and even a few RHP. Hamilton is the only one good enough defensively to consider taking the LH half of the platoon away from Eaton but now that Billy isn't batting from the left side the job is Eaton's. Lamb, Goodwin and Sheets have all had their moments but in the end we need Eaton in RF.

I don’t dispute that the other guys are not good defenders, but is Eaton?  He was years ago.  Has not looked particularly good this year.  I say, play the hot hand.

• Like 2

I think Eaton is only around until Engel, Eloy, and Robert come back. I think Hamilton and what he brings to the club will stick around, and if Goodwin continues to hit, I think he's a fine 5thish OF type. Eaton is here because they literally need someone capable of playing in the OF, and with all the injuries, there just aren't all that many better options right now.

• Like 1

Eaton put up a 129 wRC+ against RHP in April and it wasn’t BABIP fueled luck.  If he’s healthy, I’m 100% keeping him over Goodwin.  And Billy Hamilton is nothing more than a 5th OF who provides value as a pinch runner and late inning defensive replacement.  If we go out and add a legit RF then I could see the argument for Hamilton being the better bench option than Eaton, but otherwise our best bet is to keep Eaton well rested and hope he can be healthy for the playoffs.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

He has to be healthy.   That's it. If he isn't, he doesn't help. If healthy,  he's still a solid player. 

We don't know that though. He had a good April, sure. He was awful aside from that. Was he just unhealthy the entire time? Can he even stay healthy at this point? The stats show that he his horrendous. I guess we'll have to wait and see how good he is now that he is technically "healthy". 

2 hours ago, ron883 said:

We don't know that though. He had a good April, sure. He was awful aside from that. Was he just unhealthy the entire time? Can he even stay healthy at this point? The stats show that he his horrendous. I guess we'll have to wait and see how good he is now that he is technically "healthy". 

Lol did you see him trying to run of course he wasn't healthy.  There is an argument to perhaps be made that at this point in his career he's never healthy but as we saw last night a refreshed Eaton is still a useful player against RHP.

1 minute ago, SonofaRoache said:

Eaton had one good month and then got hurt. I want to see him playing healthy again, if that is even possible, before I am okay with cutting him loose. He is also a guy that has that IT factor in post season. 

Goodwin is the odd man out as much as I've come to appreciate him he's the cut when Engel is back.

On 4/25/2021 at 1:52 PM, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Through nearly 1 month, I couldn't have been more wrong about Eaton vs Pederson. Eaton is still terrible defensively but his bat in the 2 hole has been a perfect fit and it honestly looks like he's gonna sustain it most of the year. A great grab that I whiffed on and hahn crushed.

1 hour ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Eaton hit 233 in April with a 719 ops. Lets relax on the "good month" thing 

🤔

• Fire 3