Who is the most unlikely hero of the 2021 White Sox?

VAfan

Who is the most unlikely hero of the 2021 White Sox?   

68 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the most unlikely hero of the 2021 White Sox?

• Seby Zavala -- where did he come from? His walk after 0-2 count set up TA heroics last night
    • Carlos Rodon -- from cringeworthy performance in 2020 playoffs to Cy Young leader at the ASB?
    • Billy Hamilton -- we all new he could run, but he can hit? HRs? Who knew? Clubhouse favorite and top cheerleader
    • Gavin Sheets -- who thought he would play this year? Walk off bombs and can play some right field?
    • Jake Burger -- emerged from all those injuries to show the Sox what they drafted him for
    • Yermin Mercedes -- was the runaway winner in April, where does he rank now?
    • Reynaldo Lopez -- a 1.35 ERA in 20 innings? What? Small sample size, but where did that come from?
    • Brian Goodwin -- another scrap heap find who stabilized the outfield when everyone was hurt.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 08/28/2021 at 07:53 PM

This was kinda hard to choose but I went with Yermin Mercedes. Yes his run was a fluke at the end of the day, but it was a HUGE boost to the team after just having lost Eloy Jimenez for half the summer.

Kinda wanted to go with Rodon, but his case is more like "finally living up to his full capability that we all knew he had"

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chicago White Sox said:

The answer should be 100% Rodon as Yermin is no longer a hero

Agreed. Most were hoping he'd be able to hold a starting spot until Kopech was able to slide into the rotation. Instead he became not only one of the best pitchers on the team, but all of baseball.

• Like 3

50 minutes ago, TheTruth05 said:

Rodon is the no brainer. Went from nobody wanting him back to the Ace of the staff going into the playoffs.

Agree.   2nd is Leury.  The way the injured list was going I'd fear they would have to dip all the way down to Birmingham for replacements.

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

Most unlikely would be Mercedes as he wasn't even really considered an MLB player and was outstanding for that run.

This is why I voted Mercedes.

1 hour ago, lostfan said:

This was kinda hard to choose but I went with Yermin Mercedes. Yes his run was a fluke at the end of the day, but it was a HUGE boost to the team after just having lost Eloy Jimenez for half the summer.

Kinda wanted to go with Rodon, but his case is more like "finally living up to his full capability that we all knew he had"

This is exactly why I didn’t vote Rodon.

2 hours ago, mqr said:

This team is not in the position it's in without Rodon. Mercedes was huge for them obviously, but I think they would have ultimately survived. 

I agree. IMO, it's Rodon, and it's not particularly close. He was hoping to be the 5th starter. He pitched like a Cy Young award winner.

24 minutes ago, reiks12 said:

Wheres Vaughn on this list? He was supposed to be in AA this year.

Everything I remember reading had Vaughn penciled in as opening day DH until the injuries forced him to LF.

I agree that Rodon is #1 because despite the talent, it was very unlikely that he would be this good for this long.

I would put Mercedes a close 2nd though because that first month was key with all the injuries and getting off to a good start made a huge difference even after Mercedes himself stopped making a difference.

2 hours ago, Colome's Hat said:

Rodon.  But I would say that I think Vaughn stepping up in the way he has is pretty surprising.

Rodon would get my vote hands down and I agree with you adding Vaughn to this list.  All the names on the original list are worthy of honorable mention and show how many contributors we've had.  Virtually every player being mentioned has had a hand in several wins at a minimum.

3 hours ago, mqr said:

This team is not in the position it's in without Rodon. Mercedes was huge for them obviously, but I think they would have ultimately survived. 

I agree that Rodon has made the biggest impact among the surprise heroes, but I don’t agree that Rodon has been the most unlikely hero, hence my vote for Mercedes.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, reiks12 said:

Wheres Vaughn on this list? He was supposed to be in AA this year.

Vaughn was penciled in as the starter at DH for the year.   The only thing unlikely about his performance is how well he's adapted to the outfield.  His hitting is what most of us expected, even if it might be a bit better.  For example, he's at 114 OPS+.  I recall a pre-season post where most of us thought he'd be in that range. 

I'd say it's Vaughn. Just cause I like him. I think Rodon is the overall hero though.

Team MVP: Tim Anderson.

Unsung hero: Vaughn.

Best pitcher: Rodon.

Most potential: Eloy.

Biggest surprise: LaRussa being so good he's made a mockery out of his haters.

Edited by greg775
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, greg775 said:

I'd say it's Vaughn. Just cause I like him. I think Rodon is the overall hero though.

Team MVP: Tim Anderson.

Unsung hero: Vaughn.

Best pitcher: Rodon.

Most potential: Eloy.

Biggest surprise: LaRussa being so good he's made a mockery out of his haters.

I especially like when he took Hendricks out of the bullpen rotation for 6 days. He needed the rest.

• Fire 1

On 8/14/2021 at 6:29 PM, ron883 said:

Speak for yourself

If Yermin doesn't return at some point to MLB and make it, what a wild story it will be. A month and a half of being a total hero. Talk about 15 minutes of fame and success, wow. I mean for him it wasn't just one good game it was many. He was epic.