Offseason Part 3 - Because Part 2 Was a Dud

CentralChamps21

42 minutes ago, quickman said:

No thats not my logic because correa is a top player, conforto is not. At least not in my standard. Freeman top player, conforto not. I guess I am saying why hasn't somebody swooped in and grabbed this guy. Balta says because he was a qualifying offer .. ok that maybe a reason for sure but if he is so good who the hell cares. Correa is that good, but he will cost huge dollars. Freeman is that good but he will cost huge dollars. Conforto is not in that league. may be people value the lost pick more than conforto. 

Sure, but look at the money Schwarber just got for hitting...and he's not exactly peak JD Martinez or Nelson Cruz in terms of year to year consistency.

Conforto is relatively young, LH and can field a position decently/well.

That's the going rate, but it doesn't matter, because the White Sox are unlikely to meet it...if he was a FA last off-season, he'd be looking at $120-150 million, arguably.

Heck, Suzuki got a pretty impressive deal and he hasn't even played stateside.  Conforto has a considerable track record.

44 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I still can’t believe Boston would go to the ALCS, trade away Renfroe, lose Schwarber, get an extra $20 million under the tax, and come out of this offseason without one more bat.

As of now, the Red Sox situation in RF and 2B is worse than our Sox, which is hard to believe. A team that good starting Bradley in a strong side platoon (which is what roster resource has now) is embarrassing. They'll probably give Duran a shot out there, but he was one of the worst hitters in baseball last season.

If they were seriously in for Freeman like rumored, then Conforto as a fall back option would make a lot of sense.

23 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

You guys really wouldn’t trade Sheets and Crochet for Montas?

No. And the A's should be contracted for trading him. He's 29 and has one really good year under his belt. He probably won't duplicate last season and then he'll be 30. That's bound to be a well lopsided WAR trade over its lifetime. 

Imv also, once you start trading away those kinds of low cost long term contributors you're setting up for a garbage team in 24-25.

I dont see any path to winning the on-paper WS this year. So I'd rather just operate with the mindset of 'just keep getting to October.' 

Edited by KBX

2 hours ago, quickman said:

When crochet came he was suppose to be chris sale but if he was chris sale he would be in the rotation by now. I don’t know what he is except a lefthander .if he is not chris sale then get something for him, if he is chris sale then get him in the rotation.

Crochet could be as good as Chris Sale was before he got hurt, but Crochet screams TJ surgery to me. I have no problem trading him to fill another hole instead of stretching him out or keeping him in the pen.

27 minutes ago, ron883 said:

You ready to eat crow when he signs for around 4/80m?

31 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

You guys really wouldn’t trade Sheets and Crochet for Montas?

I would, Crochet isn’t going to break the bullpen for me if he gets dealt. Sheets is replaceable.

Meadows is arb eligible after this year and that's when the Rays start looking to sell guys. I actually don't think a Kimbrel + something for Meadows is completely unrealistic if the Sox were willing to eat a lot of the money.

The Rays were also strongly linked with Kimbrel before the deadline, and this is subjective, but if there was ever an organization that would look at the big picture and not overreact to 23 bad innings from a reliever, it's them.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ron883 said:

The Sox were awesome during extras with the man on 2nd. This excites me. 

Manfred update coming....in the 11th, 2nd base will be eliminated altogether as runners will go from 1B directly to 3B.  I'm excited for this change.

• Quin locked this topic