Sports Media discussion

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 6, 2017 -> 10:11 AM)
And I am not a Bennetti hater! But there are too often times where him and stone are having a painfully unfunny back and forth and you can tell they are thinking "look how funny we are!"

Sometimes they ARE funny, but much of the time... not so much.

Benetti did the Purdue-Minnesota game a few weeks ago, and he was pretty good. Minnesota's Quarterback that game was a kid named Conor Rhoda, and I was expecting a crack about "another Rhoda in Minneapolis," but no.

***For those of you unfamiliar with 1970s sitcoms, Rhoda Morgenstern (played by Valerie Harper) was a character on the Mary Tyler Moore show, which took place in Minneapolis.

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Oct 28, 2017 -> 02:53 PM)
There's something about the swearing on podcasts that throws me off a little when the host or guests are radio guys. It seems so unnatural because they have to filter it out on radio. It seems like they force it on podcasts. Parkins is did quite a bit of swearing. I did like his honesty about the culture of Chicago radio, though.

I've read several of McNeil's posts on the chicagofanatics message board and believe me, there is NOTHING "forced" about his extensive use of expletives. :P

Mac is the kind of guy who makes censors earn their paycheck.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Nov 13, 2017 -> 02:07 PM)
Maybe it is wrong, but I am more worried about CSN being in financial troubles as they are getting ready to negotiate our next TV contract.

This may be, but I think it's just NBC following up on national trends and shedding their web content teams to have as much money as possible to buy new content.

QUOTE (raBBit @ Nov 14, 2017 -> 11:49 AM)
I was with Dan last week and he said CSN is rebranding now. They're NBC something now. I don't know if it's just a change in name brand only but I thought I'd mention it.

Yea, NBCSports. Its already completely rebranded, Comcast Sports is pretty much gone from their graphics all the way to my channel guide

QUOTE (bmags @ Nov 6, 2017 -> 10:11 AM)
And I am not a Bennetti hater! But there are too often times where him and stone are having a painfully unfunny back and forth and you can tell they are thinking "look how funny we are!"

That doesn't bother me one iota...it's nice to have two people that actually enjoy calling a game together.

Unlike Stone and Hawk, who just don't click at all.

Another example: I would much rather listen to Foley and Edzo, than Foley and Konroyd. Not because Konroyd is bad, in fact, I think he's excellent. But he's boring. Foley and Edzo enjoy being together calling games and it shows.

Supposedly 12 people got laid off. Dan was one, Jim Corno Jr. another. I don't think this will have much impact on the next White Sox TV deal unless Dan Hayes was making leBron money.

It appears Dan's contract expired. It looks like they took they easy way with layoffs. Sierra Santos is also on the Sox beat, and I am sure she is a nice woman, but she can't hang with Dan baseball-wise. But that might not be what is important anymore.

Since they are going with pregame shows even when the team is on another channel, you would think Dan's services would be needed even more. I guess not.

Man, watching Mike and Mike for the last time is kind of crazy. I have been watching these guys since I was about 14. Moving to college, first internship, first job, moving out of state. Surprisingly emotional.

In case you missed it, Greenberg's new show is called "Get Up" and premieres 4/2/2018. Golic and Wingo premieres the week after Thanksgiving.

Edited by Sox-35th

QUOTE (Tony @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 10:01 AM)
Tracey Myers is leaving NBC Sports Chicago for NHL.com, but the job will keep her in Chicago. Have a hunch this is similar to the Hayes situation, but they gave her some time to find something else.

This is not my understanding of how it went down.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Nov 21, 2017 -> 09:44 PM)
This is not my understanding of how it went down.

Mooney and Hayes were let go after their contracts expired. She supposedly voluntarily resigned and took this other job. I am guessing she wouldn't have been laid off because she still had time on her contract, but realized after it expired, she wasn't getting a new one. I would guess Vince Goodwill is in the same boat. It's all too bad. I doubt these people are making huge salaries.

Edited by Dick Allen

I have finally stopped listening to Goff and Bernstein. Its not that I disagree with any of their political stances that they take on the show. I support most if not all that they are typically trying to bring to the forefront.

Its just that their show is no fun, like whatsoever. The issues that they try to address on a daily basis I actually support them on and I am not even suggesting they stop fighting the good fight on air. If they feel personally that they need to use their job as a platform to shed light to any social injustices then the more power to them. I just find no entertainment value to their show at all.

QUOTE (shipps @ Nov 30, 2017 -> 12:42 PM)
I have finally stopped listening to Goff and Bernstein. Its not that I disagree with any of their political stances that they take on the show. I support most if not all that they are typically trying to bring to the forefront.

Its just that their show is no fun, like whatsoever. The issues that they try to address on a daily basis I actually support them on and I am not even suggesting they stop fighting the good fight on air. If they feel personally that they need to use their job as a platform to shed light to any social injustices then the more power to them. I just find no entertainment value to their show at all.

I was actually going to post something similar. Nobody can disagree with them and win an argument because they shut down callers almost immediately. One thing I have noticed with 670 is that their interviews are almost all the same people and the hosts talk about some garbage. Parkins is an arrogant twat and also shuts down people who disagree with him. I called in and asked a legit question for Can’t Do It and was told my question didn’t count. If anyone listens to that segment, all of the “good” questions have been asked and answered. I flip over to AM 1000 for afternoons because the guys on at 1:45 are at least funny. Bernstein is just a dick, I met him in person and he treated me the same way he treats callers. I guess when you go to Duke and have one of the most coveted jobs in Chicago’s sports media you can be a jerk. It’s such a cutthroat industry that I’m glad I didn’t go into it.

Now this is a guy I wouldn't have minded back into the Sox fold. Glad to see Dave doing well.

Dave Wills @davewills34 Happy to announce that @RaysBaseball is allowing me to continue to do what I love! A new multi year deal is done! Thank you to everyone in the #Rays organization for your confidence in me! @RaysRadio

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Dec 1, 2017 -> 10:34 AM)
Now this is a guy I wouldn't have minded back into the Sox fold. Glad to see Dave doing well.

Dave Wills @davewills34 Happy to announce that @RaysBaseball is allowing me to continue to do what I love! A new multi year deal is done! Thank you to everyone in the #Rays organization for your confidence in me! @RaysRadio

I think he really likes Florida. Forgot about him. He is fantastic.