Joe Maddon to manage Cubs

cabiness42

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 04:58 PM)
Ken Rosenthal ‏@Ken_Rosenthal 1m1 minute ago Sources: Maddon talking to #Cubs as well as other teams. No deal in place with Cubs - yet. Bob Nightengale ‏@BNightengale 18s18 seconds ago Joe Maddon is talking to the #Cubs and other teams, agent Alan Nero says, but Nero and the Cubs say that no deal is done. At least not yet.

And here comes the tampering complaint from the Rays.

QUOTE (HickoryHuskers @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 05:15 PM)
Maddon opted out of his contract so it's not tampering unless they can prove the Cubs talked to him before last week.

Word is that Theo was in Florida the week before Maddon opted out

QUOTE (Swingandalongonetoleft @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 05:13 PM)
Nice. Way to take care of your guy Renteria. Hopefully, he was aware of and agreed to accept the possibility of this happening before signing on for the job in the first place.

The Sox did the same thing with Leyland when Bevington was the manager. I know Bevington is Bevington, but still it is the same thing. Leyland went elsewhere. I also remember the press tracking down Hawk meeting with Billy Martin when LaRussa was still the manager and Hawk the GM.

What I do not understand is how they think in today's world, they could have kept this from getting out.

I still have a hard time believing Maddon will manage the cubs. Its not because of my dislike for the cubs, I just believe there are better clubs that are interested in Maddon and closer to being contenders if they aren't already. This reeks of typical Chicago sports media...

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 04:53 PM)
The arrow is definitely pointing up, but they will never ever live up to the hype even if they somehow managed to win it all once or twice.

All it takes is one for their fans to set the all time insufferability record.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 29, 2014 -> 07:03 PM)
I know I'd be excited if the White Sox hired him.

There is no manager that would excite me. There are managers that I would be pissed about getting hired but there isn't a manager out there that I would ever be genuinely excited about. This isn't football or even basketball where the coach has a big impact on wins and losses.

I still think if the Dodgers would've called that Maddon would've landed there but the Cubs is a good landing spot for him. How quick success will come will depend on how and when the Cubs FO decides to spend some $$$ on pitching. As for Renteria it sucks for him but he'll be fine, he'll get a nice $2 mil plus severance package and probably will have a job asap. He seems to be a well respected baseball guy and the Cubs weren't terrible under him.

I would've loved to see Maddon on the South Side but I think the Sox FO wants to see what Robin can do with some actual talent (if they give it to him) before making that decision.

It's all cliche. So Maddon is regarded as a great manager. A genius. Big deal. All these managers are basically the same. They make moves that get torn apart.

How bout Boche tonight. He should be lauded forever for the way he set that up. They get the lead and Baumgarner is ready to mow down KC for five more innings. Hilarious.

Nobody could have orchestrated it better. Meanwhile KC has a perceived buffoon managing the team and they are one Alex Gordon sprint home from tying it and winning it in extras.

It's all cliche I tell you. Maddon is just another man. He's no magic elixir. Players win games though I will admit being partial to one, Ozzie Guillen.

Edited by greg775

I love reading threads that benefit the Cubs after the fact. It's just a poo poo platter of jealousy on this board. There were a couple of posters who think it's wrong to get rid of Renteria? Go crawl in a hole somewhere. If you think Maddon is one of the best managers in baseball, you fire your current manager and hire him. I wish the Sox would have been in position to do something like that. The built in hatred for a team in the NL that happens to be across town cracks me up sometimes. I would have been more upset if he went to Minnesota or Detroit.

QUOTE (Y2JImmy0 @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 07:25 AM)
The built in hatred for a team in the NL that happens to be across town cracks me up sometimes.

Have you had to deal with Cub fans your whole life? I'm genuinely asking, not being a smartass. Because that's where my hatred is borne from; they're the worst.

This is a great hire. Absolutely, no question.

So was Dusty Baker's. So was Lou Pinella's. So was Leo f'n Durocher's.

Ned Yost just came within one or two bobbles of winning the World Series, which is closer than Maddon's been.

Great, great hire. But the impact (especially in this town) is going to be vastly overstated.

Next week's addition of Jon Lester will mean significantly more.

QUOTE (shysocks @ Oct 30, 2014 -> 08:47 AM)
Have you had to deal with Cub fans your whole life? I'm genuinely asking, not being a smartass. Because that's where my hatred is borne from; they're the worst.

I suppose I have. Don't really care though. As soon as the Sox won a World Series that s*** ended for me. I like the Cubs plan. I like the prospects. I hope that they get good and push the White Sox to remain good as well. It's f***ing Chicago. Both teams should be consistently good. I guess I'd just rather have Joe Maddon in town than somewhere else.