Sox sign Justin Morneau

Jose Abreu

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 02:57 PM)
Bingo. There is zero chance that this stopping them from doing anything else. None.

For what it's worth once again (in the Mat Latos thread I stated aprox. 20 minutes before it was announced that my buddy who works for the sox & bulls said that this was being announced today or tomorrow), he also said this.

This move is solely in case they are not able to land a big bat, which unless the wheels continue to completely fall off they will make every effort to.

QUOTE (chisox802 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 04:33 PM)
For what it's worth once again (in the Mat Latos thread I stated aprox. 20 minutes before it was announced that my buddy who works for the sox & bulls said that this was being announced today or tomorrow), he also said this.

This move is solely in case they are not able to land a big bat, which unless the wheels continue to completely fall off they will make every effort to.

The wheels are off.

QUOTE (Black_Jack29 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 04:31 PM)
Well, at least Morneau doesn't cost them $30M. And I'll take this over the symbolic sacrifice of the manager.

Symbolic anything is becoming unfulfilling anyway. I want Robin gone, but the rest of the org should be shown the door as well.

QUOTE (chisox802 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 02:33 PM)

What took you so long to join Soxtalk, prodigal son?

Thanks for the info

QUOTE (Deadpool @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 05:04 PM)
He's actually Rick Hahn. He was just waiting until it was pretty clear he'd be fired.

Naw, Hahn is on his 1,562 hand of solitaire for the season. He's got a great win streak going.

I love how ONE MILLION DOLLARS is nothing anymore in sports. Damn I wish I could stumble my way into ONE MILLION DOLLARS.

It reminds me of the Stooges episode where Shemp is counting money. "One hundred, one hundred, one hundred, 20. How'd this 20 get in here?" Crumbles it up and throws it on the ground, all three pause then dive on the 20. One million bucks is nada like u said.

Jimmy Rollins, Jim Thome (who was actually productive based on what we paid him after the subsidy), Omar Vizquel, Tom Seaver, Griffey,Jr., Roberto and Sandy Alomar, Steve Carlton....seems like we're back in the late 80's when we routinely would bring in aging veterans on their very last legs, then again in the mid to late 90's.

Morneau seems to fit right in with this scenario.

Former MVP's/All-Stars, etc.. Carl Crawford must be next.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (greg775 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 05:18 PM)
I love how ONE MILLION DOLLARS is nothing anymore in sports. Damn I wish I could stumble my way into ONE MILLION DOLLARS.

It reminds me of the Stooges episode where Shemp is counting money. "One hundred, one hundred, one hundred, 20. How'd this 20 get in here?" Crumbles it up and throws it on the ground, all three pause then dive on the 20. One million bucks is nada like u said.

Well, the guy has earned $100,595,000 in his career. So yeah, I wish I could stumble upon $1,000,000, too

If you add Latos, Rollins, Jackson (who has been "okay" recently at least), Avila, Morneau, Jacob Turner, etc., together, would have been MUCH wiser to spend that money on Ian Desmond/Fowler/Denard Span and Aroldis Chapman.

Then we might actually have a fighting chance.

One of those cases where spreading out money TOO thinly has led to diminishing returns. Latos earned his money for sure, because we would be dead and buried without his first 4-5 starts.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 05:36 PM)
If you add Latos, Rollins, Jackson (who has been "okay" recently at least), Avila, Morneau, Jacob Turner, etc., together, would have been MUCH wiser to spend that money on Ian Desmond/Fowler/Denard Span and Aroldis Chapman.

Then we might actually have a fighting chance.

One of those cases where spreading out money TOO thinly has led to diminishing returns. Latos earned his money for sure, because we would be dead and buried without his first 4-5 starts.

On paper, you're definitely not wrong. The funny thing is, I'm not fully convinced that those guys would be having the years they're having if they were on the Sox. Whether it's the coaching staff, the clubhouse, Soxtalk or whatever, there's something that's just f***ed up with this organization.

Good news, and nice scoop.

QUOTE (chisox802 @ Jun 9, 2016 -> 03:33 PM)

Thanks for the info. Post here more often!

So today we absorb the crap that was James Shields yesterday, Sign Morneau and send him to the DL, we find out JR is pissed off about the team's current state, Hahn once again deflects all Robin scrutiny with another politically correct response and the MLB draft is about to get started. This has been the most bipolar, ridiculous season that I can remember being a Sox fan. Welcome to bizzaro world aka 35th and Shields.

So he is out till after the All Star game. Then he will need at least a couple weeks in Charlotte seeing live pitching which means around August 1st. Can he manage the team until he is ready???

I'm not going to read through this thread (I've been around long enough to know how many people will hate this). I will only state, without opinion, the following for everyone's consideration: Jerry Sands and JB Shuck have recently batted DH for the White Sox.

Edited by ChrisLikesBaseball