Jump to content
Baron

La Russa arrested for DUI in Feb; charged day before hire

Recommended Posts

Tonys alcohol issues aside, what worries me is JR's inability or should I say unwillingness t to fire someone who isnt living up to standards, aka Robin V. 

If Tony is a bust how many yrs must we endure him? Not to sound depressing but JR likely doenst have many more years left

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Tonys alcohol issues aside, what worries me is JR's inability or should I say unwillingness t to fire someone who isnt living up to standards, aka Robin V. 

If Tony is a bust how many yrs must we endure him? Not to sound depressing but JR likely doenst have many more years left

Say what you will about Reinsdorf (and god knows I’ve said just about everything that needs to be said about the guy), but he did not bring LaRussa back for him to be a “bust”.  That’s why I’m quietly quite optimistic about the moves that will be made in this offseason and into next year to take this talented team to the level capable of competing for a championship with the likes of the Dodgers, Yankees, etc.

Ironically, the dark cloud associated with the LaRussa DUI situation should work in the fans’ favor as Reinsdorf has even more incentive to do what it takes, spend what it takes, to move the focus off of the DUI and onto things that will truly excite the fan base and put the team in a position to have a solid shot at getting Reinsdorf that second WS trophy.

Not to mention, but time is of the essence - Reinsdorf will be 85 next year and LaRussa 77.  Their focus and incentive just naturally has to be on 2021 and 2022.  So unless they don’t want to go out in a blaze of glory, and don’t want their final chapters to end on a high note, I’d expect some big and fun news coming our way.

Edited by Thad Bosley
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, The Grinder said:

Tonys alcohol issues aside, what worries me is JR's inability or should I say unwillingness t to fire someone who isnt living up to standards, aka Robin V. 

If Tony is a bust how many yrs must we endure him? Not to sound depressing but JR likely doenst have many more years left

There is zero chance he fires him.  Tony will have to be the one to leave after what happened 35 years ago with Hawks.  That is the worst part of it all.  We have to wait for Tony to do the right thing, and we all know what the odds of that are.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/4/2020 at 8:56 AM, Dick Allen said:

That’s a bad take. If your neighbor got looped and decided to go out in the back yard and just shoot his gun off, would you be OK with that as long as no one was hurt? A car is a weapon when you are drunk. He already was arrested for this offense previously and Mr. Sincere Legitimacy told us it would never happen again. And it did. And when it did, he thought his HOF ring was a get out of jail free card. He has shown his true colors.

What would a court of law think? Reckless discharge of gun that hits the ground vs. one that goes through a skull? DUI in which you are driving slowly enough to be stopped by a curb, or recklessly driving at 90 mph and killing someone? First is fines and classes, latter is decades in prison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/3/2020 at 6:00 PM, ThirdGen said:

I absolutely told my children growing up that the Sox manager should be their role model. Unfortunately it was Bevington.

Have you ever lived that down?😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Tony is going to spend the season stonewalling the media he might as well leave. He needs a serious change of heart. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pcq said:

If Tony is going to spend the season stonewalling the media he might as well leave. He needs a serious change of heart. 

I'm sure the liver is the priority at this juncture.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Thad Bosley said:

Say what you will about Reinsdorf (and god knows I’ve said just about everything that needs to be said about the guy), but he did not bring LaRussa back for him to be a “bust”.  That’s why I’m quietly quite optimistic about the moves that will be made in this offseason and into next year to take this talented team to the level capable of competing for a championship with the likes of the Dodgers, Yankees, etc.

Ironically, the dark cloud associated with the LaRussa DUI situation should work in the fans’ favor as Reinsdorf has even more incentive to do what it takes, spend what it takes, to move the focus off of the DUI and onto things that will truly excite the fan base and put the team in a position to have a solid shot at getting Reinsdorf that second WS trophy.

Not to mention, but time is of the essence - Reinsdorf will be 85 next year and LaRussa 77.  Their focus and incentive just naturally has to be on 2021 and 2022.  So unless they don’t want to go out in a blaze of glory, and don’t want their final chapters to end on a high note, I’d expect some big and fun news coming our way.

I was not in favor of the LaRussa hire and was happy he was bounced the first time.  His know it all attitude can come off as insufferable at times and his age are negatives.  The DUI stuff makes the hire even worse.  That said, LaRussa would not have taken this job with any motive other than improving his HOF credentials.  I am trying to focus on the fact that he intends to have this team win under his stewardship.  We have not had a solid baseball manager since the Ozzie good years.  Tony is a real student of the game and knows the rule book inside and out.  He knows how to fill out the lineup card and will deal with the bonehead and lack of hustle issues all teams run in to.  The baseball part of this hire will probably work out quite satisfactorily IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

La Russa's presense already making the Sox an attractive destination when they weren't one just a few months ago. Soxtalk btfo

 

 

Lynn and his agent at Excel Sports Management, Bobby Barad, informed the Rangers he would opt out of the season if he was sent to a team he did not wish to join, according to major-league sources.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

La Russa's presense already making the Sox an attractive destination when they weren't one just a few months ago. Soxtalk btfo

 

 

Lynn and his agent at Excel Sports Management, Bobby Barad, informed the Rangers he would opt out of the season if he was sent to a team he did not wish to join, according to major-league sources.

 

 

Wainright, McGwire and Yadi confirmed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Sockin said:

 

Did he make a speech in the middle about Leury Garcia bring the most underrated utility player in baseball since McEwing/Oquendo?

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Nobody give Tony no break

Police give Tony no break

Only Jerry will give Tony a break

Not even Tony's own family gave him no break

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sockin said:

 

"La Russa faced two DUI counts before pleading guilty to reckless driving in December. He was sentenced to one day of home detention, fined nearly $1,400 and is required to complete 20 hours of community service."

What a joke

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Screw WGN and their 15 second commercials for an 11 second video. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I could have sworn all of this video was out already

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, wegner said:

Mr. Jordan should sue that officer for defamation.

Michael Jordan’s Minor League OPS .556 (at age 31)

Tony La Russa’s Major League OPS .542

Pretty sure Michael would have finished with at least a decent Major League career if he played baseball full time instead of basketball.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×