Jump to content
chitownsportsfan

The TLR Manager Thread

Recommended Posts

managers matter only on the fringes ... being 109 years old though puts him on the fringes. He'd never accept it because of his ego but he shouldve been brought back in some other capacity if JR was looking to bring him in. It is what it is though. this team has other problems other than managing

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just go back to that exact moment in the game thread....my 2014 desktop work computer froze in China because so many were saying the same thing simultaneously.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Rusty_Kuntz said:

In some cases yes but last night was ridiculous, and he didn't even know how many outs there were. It was a true clownshow. 

I get that it's frustrating.  I absolutely hate seeing Leury in any game much less last night's debacle.  However, for any of us to imply TL doesn't understand situational baseball is just silly.  For the record...I think he should start Vaughn in left field every game and Mercedes should never be out of the lineup...Yaz is overrated and Madrigal will be recognized as a star one day by this forum.  We all have "opinions" and sometimes they are different than others.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, poppysox said:

I get that it's frustrating.  I absolutely hate seeing Leury in any game much less last night's debacle.  However, for any of us to imply TL doesn't understand situational baseball is just silly.  For the record...I think he should start Vaughn in left field every game and Mercedes should never be out of the lineup...Yaz is overrated and Madrigal will be recognized as a star one day by this forum.  We all have "opinions" and sometimes they are different than others.

500533E1-0FEA-48FB-9CC9-856F8E6E7C02.gif

  • Haha 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

No, you’re defending the manager as a position that can never be second guessed.

No...I am saying it is inevitable that he will be second-guessed.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Texsox said:

How long has it been since we questioned how our previous manager used pitchers?  I think Bevington was the last one. The rest of the guys didn't make mistakes like this. I'm trying to remember Renteria or Robin leaving a guy in too long. 

Renteria with Rodon last year 

  • Love 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I get that it's frustrating.  I absolutely hate seeing Leury in any game much less last night's debacle.  However, for any of us to imply TL doesn't understand situational baseball is just silly.  For the record...I think he should start Vaughn in left field every game and Mercedes should never be out of the lineup...Yaz is overrated and Madrigal will be recognized as a star one day by this forum.  We all have "opinions" and sometimes they are different than others.

He didn't know how many outs there were. This is not my opinion. So to imply he had any clue about what was happening in that instance is silly. 

 

Edited by Rusty_Kuntz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, poppysox said:

I get why people are disgusted.  Our best starter going against a lousy opponent.  I almost assume a win.  Managers have decisions of when to pull a pitcher when to pitch hit when to call for a sacrifice bunt, etc.  In 162 games these decisions are made by managers and pretty much overlooked when the team wins.  Managers look stupid when pitch hitters strikeout or the new reliever gets shelled.  My point is...every manager makes fans unhappy some of the time over a long season.  Hine sight always has 20/20 vision.

Poppy: Agree, but forgetting how many outs there were is not hindsight.  More a senior moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, poppysox said:

No...I am saying it is inevitable that he will be second-guessed.

 

 

 

And the you said “for any of us to imply TL doesn't understand situational baseball is just silly” when LaRussa continues not understanding situational baseball. In your eyes he must always be defended.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Balta1701 said:

And the you said “for any of us to imply TL doesn't understand situational baseball is just silly” when LaRussa continues not understanding situational baseball. In your eyes he must always be defended.

I certainly agree with you if you mean there are two sides to most stories.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, poppysox said:

I certainly agree with you if you mean there are two sides to most stories.

 

 

Tony basically admitted he managed a crappy game. That is something he would never do before. I doubt he is managing the White Sox next year. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I like that vaughn is protected from tough righties with good sliders, but I don't like he regularly gets two consecutive games off. 

IMO he should play 2-3 days in a row and only get one day off so that he plays like 4-5 times a week at least. 

Edited by Dominikk85

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, poppysox said:

I certainly agree with you if you mean there are two sides to most stories.

 

 

So you agree that you were wrong to say “it’s silly to say Tony LaRussa doesn’t understand situational baseball” as obviously it can’t be silly if there are two sides. Thank you for retracting your statement.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Tony basically admitted he managed a crappy game. That is something he would never do before. I doubt he is managing the White Sox next year. 

Really? A 1 year gimmick? I’d be surprised if he ISNT managing the Sox next year. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, poppysox said:

We all know that we lost the game last night.  I am defending the position of "the manager" being one that is easily second-guessed.  

Guy, his own player said he was gassed lol. What more do you want to hear? His OWN player second guessed him.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't really mind leaving in Giolito too long yesterday. 

Yeah it increased the chance of losing but it was your ace against the worst offense in the majors, that is the right time to find out if he can battle through and save the pen another inning that they can pitch when cease is at 80 pitches after 4 again. 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I don't really mind leaving in Giolito too long yesterday. 

Yeah it increased the chance of losing but it was your ace against the worst offense in the majors, that is the right time to find out if he can battle through and save the pen another inning that they can pitch when cease is at 80 pitches after 4 again. 

 

 

Why does the pen need to be saved? 

You don't mind not talking to your player and asking him how he feels before sending him out for another inning at 95 pitches? The bullpen will be used much more if giolito gets hurt. 

The time to see if he can "battle" through fatigue is absolutely not an April game vs the worst team in baseball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Tony basically admitted he managed a crappy game. That is something he would never do before. I doubt he is managing the White Sox next year. 

I don't know why LaRussa took this job. Just like I didn't understand why Ventura took the job. Just like I don't understand why the FO runs this team this way. How about interviewing someone with no past connection to the White Sox and interview someone who actually wants the job?

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Why does the pen need to be saved? 

You don't mind not talking to your player and asking him how he feels before sending him out for another inning at 95 pitches? The bullpen will be used much more if giolito gets hurt. 

The time to see if he can "battle" through fatigue is absolutely not an April game vs the worst team in baseball. 

Right? The pen has what, 9 guys in it with McRae replacing Robert on roster?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Dominikk85 said:

I don't really mind leaving in Giolito too long yesterday. 

Yeah it increased the chance of losing but it was your ace against the worst offense in the majors, that is the right time to find out if he can battle through and save the pen another inning that they can pitch when cease is at 80 pitches after 4 again. 

 

 

He battled through the 6th, that should have been it.  To keep him in after the double and then the homer and then the long fly out, it’s almost as if Tony was trying to stick it to Giolito.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Not to make excuses for TLR because he had a bad game, but the team wouldn't have been in the position they were if it weren't for the abysmal offensive effort throughout the game.  A bad Tigers team makes five errors and the Sox respond by lazily rolling into a shitload of double plays.  They should have been leading by 5 or 6 in the 7th, and the pitching situation looks different.  However, a good manager adjusts and makes better decisions.

But, holy shit, the team looked completely disinterested yesterday.  I'm sick of seeing Grandout pull the ball right to the second baseman and essentially walk down the line.

Edited by hogan873

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, hogan873 said:

Not to make excuses for TLR because he had a bad game, but the team wouldn't have been in the position they were if it weren't for the abysmal offensive effort throughout the game.  A bad Tigers team makes five errors and the Sox respond by lazily rolling into a shitload of double plays.  They should have been leading by 5 or 6 in the 7th, and the pitching situation looks different.  However, a good manager adjusts and makes better decisions.

But, holy shit, the team looked completely disinterested yesterday.  I'm sick of seeing Grandout pull the ball right to the second baseman and essentially walk down the line.

Both teams and Tony acted drunk.  My god, Eaton was stumbling all game.  Lost in the criticism of Tony was Eaton stumbling on the homer in comical fashion.  Could he have robbed it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, fathom said:

Both teams and Tony acted drunk.  My god, Eaton was stumbling all game.  Lost in the criticism of Tony was Eaton stumbling on the homer in comical fashion.  Could he have robbed it?

It didn't look like it could have been caught. Regardless you can't fault an outfielder for not being able to rob a home run as its pretty rare and difficult to do. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Why does the pen need to be saved? 

You don't mind not talking to your player and asking him how he feels before sending him out for another inning at 95 pitches? The bullpen will be used much more if giolito gets hurt. 

The time to see if he can "battle" through fatigue is absolutely not an April game vs the worst team in baseball. 

Fine. Then if you’re sending him out for the 7th, you have the bullpen warm behind him and when he walks the first batter because he doesn’t have enough left in the tank to throw an out pitch, you go get him and let people applaud as he leaves. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×