Fantastic Starts and Where to Not Find Them

ron883

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Question I have been wondering:

Jose has seemed very against moving to DH in interviews. I was wondering if now that he's in arb, if that's a consideration. Would it be a big hit if he gets grouped with DH compensation with the arbiter?

QUOTE (ron883 @ May 4, 2017 -> 12:45 AM)
I love how people bump these threads when Jose goes on a hot streak. His hot streaks are followed by the inevitable awful cold streaks Jose goes on. When Jose goes cold, he goes COLD. The dude just isnt that great of a player.

Whenever you post about him slumping he seems to heat up, 2 homeruns in his last 2 PA, I think you should keep posting about him.

QUOTE (OmarComing25 @ May 4, 2017 -> 01:55 PM)
Whenever you post about him slumping he seems to heat up, 2 homeruns in his last 2 PA, I think you should keep posting about him.

Since this was posted he has been good for a full win going from -0.6 to 0.4 WAR. The sad thing is his defensive numbers are just awful, which is fully why he is still that low. He is sitting at -3 DRS right now in 23 games at 1B this year. He was only -5 last year in games at 1B.

QUOTE (ron883 @ May 4, 2017 -> 12:45 AM)
I love how people bump these threads when Jose goes on a hot streak. His hot streaks are followed by the inevitable awful cold streaks Jose goes on. When Jose goes cold, he goes COLD. The dude just isnt that great of a player.

Any reason why you're not out trashing the likes of Anderson, Saladino, Frazier, Melky, Covey, they're having similar or worse starts than Jose, but a guy who is known to be a slow starter and is beginning to turn things around is getting trashed? Just stop it

You need to free yourself from expectation that Jose is a superstar hitter. He is not. But despite his slow start last year, he has put up 2.6 bWAR and 1.8 fWAR last year therefore at least earning his salary. Sure, the league has "figured" him out, but he's still an above average hitter. There are of other underperformers to blame, but he isn't one of them. He shouldn't be the best hitter on a PO team, but that's not his fault.

QUOTE (ron883 @ May 4, 2017 -> 01:42 AM)
In the world of 1st basemen.

And yet it was good for 10th best in the league last year for 1B...so again, in what world does 10th out of 32 = pedestrian?

Your expectations are just way too high based on his 1st year. Considering what he is paid relative to the other top 1B getting an .820 OPS out of him is perfectly fine. Now him not being a full time DH is another discussion...but out of all the things wrong with the Sox organization you seriously choose to spend your time and energy bashing Abreu's hitting?

• 2 weeks later...
QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 27, 2017 -> 08:38 AM)
.887 OPS. 1.6 bWAR, 1.4 fWAR, and he hasn't hit a homer at home yet.

DFA was a good call Ron.

DA always putting words in other people's mouths. I said the way he was playing was DFA worthy. Never said the sox should DFA him.

About time he lost some Damn weight. It appears to have served him well. No excuse for being overweight as a professional athlete. Thanks for doing what you're supposed to do Jose.

QUOTE (ron883 @ May 27, 2017 -> 10:11 AM)
DA always putting words in other people's mouths. I said the way he was playing was DFA worthy. Never said the sox should DFA him.

About time he lost some Damn weight. It appears to have served him well. No excuse for being overweight as a professional athlete. Thanks for doing what you're supposed to do Jose.

DFA worthy, safe to say he's been figured out. Wrong, wrong. and his weight has been down all season, even when you started this thread.

Ron, you are hitting .000 with your scouting acumen. Time to give it up.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ May 27, 2017 -> 11:14 AM)
DFA worthy, safe to say he's been figured out. Wrong, wrong. and his weight has been down all season, even when you started this thread.

Ron, you are hitting .000 with your scouting acumen. Time to give it up.

I got the adam Engel call up correct. .500 bare minimum. Lets wait until the season is over before we make a judgement on Jose.

I suppose now would be a good time to ask Ron if he knows how many players in White Sox history have better stats than Jose Abreu through their first 2000 PA with the club, and who those guys are, and if he thinks they are awful players

That is, it would be a good time to ask that if I knew this guy wasn't just trolling all of us

I mean who the hell really questions the offensive prowess of a .299/.359/.515/.874 career hitter

QUOTE (Greg Hibbard @ May 30, 2017 -> 02:21 PM)
I suppose now would be a good time to ask Ron if he knows how many players in White Sox history have better stats than Jose Abreu through their first 2000 PA with the club, and who those guys are, and if he thinks they are awful players

That is, it would be a good time to ask that if I knew this guy wasn't just trolling all of us

I mean who the hell really questions the offensive prowess of a .299/.359/.515/.874 career hitter

Don't jump to conclusions that he's been a good hitter. Everything points to the league has figured him out and he is DFA-worthy, which has to be the only conclusion if you take everything into account. Just because.

Jose Abreu and Sorcerer's WAR

Jose Abreu and the Batting Cage

Jose Abreu and the Player of the Week

Jose Abreu and the Gatorade Cooler of Victory

Jose Abreu and the Order of the All-Star Team

Jose Abreu and the Cuban Prospects

Jose Abreu and the Hallowed Stats

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ May 30, 2017 -> 03:43 PM)
Jose Abreu and Sorcerer's WAR

Jose Abreu and the Batting Cage

Jose Abreu and the Player of the Week

Jose Abreu and the Gatorade Cooler of Victory

Jose Abreu and the Order of the All-Star Team

Jose Abreu and the Cuban Prospects

Jose Abreu and the Hallowed Stats (Parts 1 and 2)