Nationals acquire Doolittle/Madson from As

Whisox05

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 11:42 AM)
i really dont understand what Rizzo is doing. This bullpen construction looks like a rebuilding team throwing together a pen, not a team that has a playoff worthy offense and starting pitching

They have spent quite a bit of resources acquiring bullpen help the last few years in both dollars.

I think they really want to try to avoid that, and that RIzzo to some extent believes there will be a regression to the mean with some of their pieces they believed in more prior to the year.

• Replies 774
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 12:11 PM)
Eaton is a very good player on a long term contract. That was not going to come cheaply, not matter what.

Giolito/Lopez stock would likely be down, but Dunning's stock should be up. I still feel like it could end up being a fair deal for both teams.

Had not been Eaton's injury, I doubt that's the case for the Sox. In order for them to get fair value back, one of the three pitchers would have to generate the same value (WAR) for the Sox as Eaton would have over the course of his contract. The probability of that happening is not likely. The whole Sox fleeced Nats narrative was an overblown.

QUOTE (2005thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 12:22 PM)
Had not been Eaton's injury, I doubt that's the case for the Sox. In order for them to get fair value back, one of the three pitchers would have to generate the same value (WAR) for the Sox as Eaton would have over the course of his contract. The probability of that happening is not likely. The whole Sox fleeced Nats narrative was an overblown.

It was based on the assumption that Giolito was a still a top 3 RHP prospect in the game. Clearly he is not that, but he is making steps in the right direction. I still think this trade has the makings of a big winner for the Sox, but certainly not a sure thing. But its a trade you do all day when you're rebuilding.

QUOTE (ChiSox59 @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 12:25 PM)
It was based on the assumption that Giolito was a still a top 3 RHP prospect in the game. Clearly he is not that, but he is making steps in the right direction. I still think this trade has the makings of a big winner for the Sox, but certainly not a sure thing. But its a trade you do all day when you're rebuilding.

Let's face it. Giolito was a trainwreck when he got here. I think Washington knew that, which is why they spent all winter trying to package him in big deals. Gavin Floyd was honestly a great comp here. Dude has a million dollar arm, but no confidence when he got here. He needed to be rebuild from the ground up mechanically, but then also to start believing that he was a stud pitcher again. It seems like he might be turning that corner in AAA, but we will see. If the Sox can rebuild him into even a middle rotation pitcher, and still get something out of Lopez and Dunning, this is a huge win for the White Sox.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 10:34 AM)
Let's face it. Giolito was a trainwreck when he got here. I think Washington knew that, which is why they spent all winter trying to package him in big deals. Gavin Floyd was honestly a great comp here. Dude has a million dollar arm, but no confidence when he got here. He needed to be rebuild from the ground up mechanically, but then also to start believing that he was a stud pitcher again. It seems like he might be turning that corner in AAA, but we will see. If the Sox can rebuild him into even a middle rotation pitcher, and still get something out of Lopez and Dunning, this is a huge win for the White Sox.

Well, I tend to agree with you for the most part on Giolito, I think he was still viewed as a great prospect, but there was definitely some polish that was coming off, and it was coming off fast.

I do believe that we really loved Lopez and Dunning, more so than that we thought we might get something out of them.

I think they saw a package with a potential #1, #2 AND #3 IF things all broke as well as they could. Now is that likely to happen? No...but I would suspect that the odds are they at least get two of those arms to be #2 or 3 type guys, with one working out of the pen (I honestly fear this may be Lopez).

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 12:47 PM)
Well, I tend to agree with you for the most part on Giolito, I think he was still viewed as a great prospect, but there was definitely some polish that was coming off, and it was coming off fast.

I do believe that we really loved Lopez and Dunning, more so than that we thought we might get something out of them.

I think they saw a package with a potential #1, #2 AND #3 IF things all broke as well as they could. Now is that likely to happen? No...but I would suspect that the odds are they at least get two of those arms to be #2 or 3 type guys, with one working out of the pen (I honestly fear this may be Lopez).

If any two of those three guys turn out to be middle of the rotation starters, or better, the Sox win the trade no matter what Eaton does.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 12:34 PM)

Part of any trade or prospect are elements of risk, upside, downside and also development. Giolito certainly has talent, but the Sox need to work on getting him to be consistent. Some players take longer than others to develop, and growing pains will happen.

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 12:11 PM)
Eaton is a very good player on a long term contract. That was not going to come cheaply, not matter what.

Giolito/Lopez stock would likely be down, but Dunning's stock should be up. I still feel like it could end up being a fair deal for both teams.

I think it could end up being a fair deal for both sides too, which is why I don't like hearing how getting fleeced by the Sox has caused the Nats to be more reluctant to make a trade again. They did well on their end, and TINSTAAPP unpredictability dictates the Sox will need a little luck to come out ahead on theirs.

QUOTE (WhiteSoxLifer @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 03:20 PM)
K-Rod to minors once deal with #Nationals is done. Team liked K rate, K/BB rate. HR rate clearly alarming. Trying for lightning in bottle.

https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/879430392457175041

I don't blame the Nationals, but they are playing with fire. They cannot expect to catch lightning in a bottle and for a struggling K-Rod to be able to lead a world series caliber bullpen.

A trade is beyond necessary, and I'd be shocked if they did not make a move by the deadline for impact relief help

QUOTE (steveno89 @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 04:06 PM)
I don't blame the Nationals, but they are playing with fire. They cannot expect to catch lightning in a bottle and for a struggling K-Rod to be able to lead a world series caliber bullpen.

A trade is beyond necessary, and I'd be shocked if they did not make a move by the deadline for impact relief help

Not really a matter of "if" but when. They'll make some serious additions in the next month.

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Jun 26, 2017 -> 04:12 PM)
Not really a matter of "if" but when. They'll make some serious additions in the next month.

They are likely biding their time to see what is on the market in a month. Impact relief help never comes cheap though.

Sox should be open to eating salary in order to maximize the prospect return