Quintana

ScootsMcGoots

• Replies 825
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jake @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 03:25 PM)
Yeah I can see exactly why the Astros would talk tough about Tucker being untradeable but it's hard to imagine them passing up on such an obvious improvement to their already-good World Series chances all because the Sox insisted on a 20 year who just got his first taste of AA. Ultimately if you want to make a deal that is so clearly good for a championship-type season, you have to be willing to have lost the deal when you look back a few years later. I doubt Cub fans really want to dump Epstein all because of the Chapman-Torres deal. Everyone knew how it was going to look.

I think the problem is that Luhnow doesn't want to use his best trade chips on a guy who he doesn't consider an ace. And I get that line of thinking to some extent, but there are only a handful of those guys and no guarantee any of them will ever be available. IMO, Houston definitely needs to add another TOR starter to pair with Kuechel & McCullers. If they do that, they suddenly become perhaps the best all-around team and the favorites to win in October. Will be interesting to see what he ultimately does. I think not fully going for it this year in hopes a legit ace becomes available later is pretty damn foolish.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 03:51 PM)
I dunno...I saw the same type of posts about Meadows. If we had accepted a Meadows-headlined deal, I think people would be freaking out about him right now.

I'd definitely like an elite headliner, but if it was backed by enough high quality depth I would be willing to entertain a deal without any one particular guy.

Problem is, there aren't a whole lot of teams with that kind of system...maybe the Yankees, Braves, and Astros.

Sure. And it would be even worse if he had centered a deal around Newman and Glasnow.

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 02:15 PM)
Man, it's strange that the Sox could be the team that decides the World Series, like the Yankees last year.

Wow - good thought, hadn't thunk it dat way befo

QUOTE (Quin @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 04:15 PM)
Man, it's strange that the Sox could be the team that decides the World Series, like the Yankees last year.

Just for laughs, who do the Yankees want or need most. Jose Quintana or Jose Abreu?

QUOTE (zisk @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 05:12 PM)
Just for laughs, who do the Yankees want or need most. Jose Quintana or Jose Abreu?

Probably Q, but there really is no time like the present to trade Abreu. I know he wouldn't be a bad guy to have around for Moncada, but if Hahn can cash in, he should definitely be moved.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 04:15 PM)
100% it is Jose Quintana.

100%. They could potentially lose 3/5 of their rotation to FA after this year, and they don't have enough prospects to fill those spots. They might be able to fake it with Adams and Cessa joining Severino and Montgomery in the rotation, but if they want to compete, that seems foolish. They also want to get under the luxury tax threshold, which is really hard to do if you're paying for two or more FA starters.

I just read something from Heyman (not sure if this was posted before...I don't scan every post in a 48 pg thread) that the Sox were asking for Torres and Frazier as the return. Seems a tad steep....but who knows.

QUOTE (Wanne @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 07:31 PM)
I just read something from Heyman (not sure if this was posted before...I don't scan every post in a 48 pg thread) that the Sox were asking for Torres and Frazier as the return. Seems a tad steep....but who knows.

It's actually Torres "or" Frazier, not both. And for me, I was actually happy to see Torres name still being bandied about. Even with the TJS (to his non-throwing arm), the prospect of both he and Moncada holding down the fort in the infield for the next six years is tantalizing, to say the least.

I love that Hahn is asking for Torres AND Frazier. He should! If it leads to only one of those guys during negotiations, that's fine. I've brought up the scenario of getting Torres in a Q deal way back in December.. The fact that it's even a possibility this July makes me very happy. With Andujar moving up the ranks in the Yankees system, perhaps they won't be so reluctant to part ways with Torres? Especially after his season ending TJS? Also, I wouldn't count out the scenario of the Yankees also asking for DRob or Kahnle in a potential blockbuster.

Q and DRob for Torres, Rutherford and Adams. Seems fair... I don't know... Q's value should be good. He is affordable, has 3.2 years remaining on his deal and has a very healthy track record.

For any regular visitors of mlbtraderumors.com, do NOT read the comments in the recent Quintana article. There is one guy who said he wouldn't trade Torres or Frazier for Mike Trout, so you can imagine his view on Q. But seriously, it's amazing how underrated Quintana is with other fanbases. I'd say 1 in 5 actually realizes how good he is, but the majority think he's just a middle of the rotation starter. Combine that with how often fans overrate their own prospects and you get some of the most ridiculous trade proposals I have ever seen.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 08:44 PM)
I hope three weeks from tonight we're all happy about 5/6 trades while the Blue Jays are kicking our ass.

I fear, like I have for the last few deadlines, that given Hahn's general lack of July trade activity, we won't see more than a couple deals.

Obviously that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if the right offers aren't there.

QUOTE (flavum @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 06:44 PM)
I hope three weeks from tonight we're all happy about 5/6 trades while the Blue Jays are kicking our ass.

This. A hundred thousand times, this.

( wouldn't be surprised if we retained Q thou - I do let know what to expect thou as I don't think this will be a typical Hahn deadline. )

QUOTE (beautox @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 10:50 PM)
I'd love to see a return of Torres, Sheffield & Mateo or Florial. That would also alleviate some of the yankees upcoming 40 man crunch issues.

I'd be beyond ecstatic with that return

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 10:04 PM)
I fear, like I have for the last few deadlines, that given Hahn's general lack of July trade activity, we won't see more than a couple deals.

Obviously that wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if the right offers aren't there.

It would make zero sense to not take the best offers for Frazier/Swarzak/Melky though, and I doubt there won't be any offers for them, even if Melky ends up as just an August acquisition. I'd also be shocked if Robertson is still around, there's pretty much a zero percent chance his value will get any higher. So that should be a minimum of four deals.

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 10:21 PM)
I predict a surprise team that gets Quintana...Cleveland.

Q + Melky for Zimmer, Mejia and lottery ticket Marcos Gonzalez

You REALLY think they're gonna trade in division? I guess I could somewhat see it since we don't plan to compete much under Q's contract... highly doubtful... and you know that.

Blah blah blah blah July 31st please blah blah blah blah blah

QUOTE (hi8is @ Jul 11, 2017 -> 12:27 AM)
You REALLY think they're gonna trade in division? I guess I could somewhat see it since we don't plan to compete much under Q's contract... highly doubtful... and you know that.

Blah blah blah blah July 31st please blah blah blah blah blah

I don't think Q is getting traded within division. A rental type like MelkyI think could.

QUOTE (Jose Abreu @ Jul 10, 2017 -> 10:04 PM)

As said above by many, value is pretty much what the market says it is. Holding onto Frazier, Swarzak and Robertson (whose value plummets after July) would be bad. Melky is likely a waiver deal, due to lack of demand for OF who hit in the .750 OPS range and who don't defend well.

Hahn has been slow in July, but that's one of his practices he needs to change (and in prior Julys, "we're still in it" provided some cover for eternal optimists).

Demanding productive players on contending teams in these trades is not realistic.

Edited by GreenSox