Your Off Season Plan

GGajewski18

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 12:27 PM)
I don't think so. I think they are really high on Rutherford. Hopefully he develops. I don't think anyone is holding their breath. He looks the part, just doesn't hit the part, at least yet.

He seems to be the offensive version of a 6'5" 240 lb. pitcher who throws 88.

Maybe^^^ but that deal absolutely does not happen without the savings from ditching Robertson's contract. Hahn alluded to money being a significant factor in that deal.

Rutherford has an uphill battle, as a corner outfielder will have to have a plus bat to make much of an impact.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 02:09 PM)
I think the White Sox say no since they are looking to trade for prospects. Interesting proposal though.

Agreed. 3 years of control on Bradley for 2 on Abreu. Bradley may be a tad cheaper on an AAV basis, but 2nd and 3rd arb years won't be cheap. I don't hate the idea, honestly...but I'd probably prefer to get a couple top 100 types instead if that is on the table (may not be).

QUOTE (soxfan2014 @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 01:10 PM)
Yeah only 3 years of control.

I thought he had 4. I was mistaken. It does look like he may be the odd man out in Boston and the White Sox really, really wanted him a while back.

The extra year and defense, I might still do it if I were Hahn. He could be flipped eventually or be part of the team when they are really humming. Might need DD to throw in a lottery pick though.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 01:16 PM)
I thought he had 4. I was mistaken. It does look like he may be the odd man out in Boston and the White Sox really, really wanted him a while back.

The extra year and defense, I might still do it if I were Hahn. He could be flipped eventually or be part of the team when they are really humming. Might need DD to throw in a lottery pick though.

https://bosoxinjection.com/2017/10/15/poten...get-jose-abreu/

Eduardo Rodriguez is an interesting place to start trade talks.

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 05:54 PM)

Like I said, they'd need to pull from their MLB roster to get him.

Rodriguez and Groome would be interesting, and help the fact that White Sox pitching has become overwhelmingly right handed. That said, I feel that package is at least a little light (would need a lotto ticket or two in there to really like it) and I'd really rather get some more hitting prospects here. Any chance they'd be interested in Garcia? I'd take Rodriguez for Garcia and consider that a win.

Anyone think there's any chance the Rockies would send McMahon and Dahl for Abreu?

Edited by Dam8610

QUOTE (BlackSox13 @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 05:54 PM)

Very good place to start - like him a lot. 4 years of control.

Bradley Jr was the other piece - good player, but 3 years.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 01:04 PM)
Jose Abreu straight up for Jackie Bradley Jr. Who says no?

White Sox

Edited by GreenSox

QUOTE (GreenSox @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 06:51 PM)
Very good place to start - like him a lot. 4 years of control.

Bradley Jr was the other piece - good player, but 3 years.

Definitely interested in Rodriguez but would want more than Shaw as a secondary piece. Rodriguez and Chavis would get my attention though.

QUOTE (ChiliIrishHammock24 @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 06:37 PM)
If that writer is suggesting an offer of JBJ, Sam Travis, and Eduardo Rodriguez....then yeah, I am doing that deal right now.

I don't know what JBJ does for us, considering he will likely need to be paid as we are just hitting our stride.

Rodriguez is very frustrating. Shows flashes but is constantly injured and often inconsistent.

If I am going to move Abreu, it needs to be a slam dunk type of move, and given our pitching depth, that deal just doesn't do it for me.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 9, 2017 -> 10:27 PM)
I don't know what JBJ does for us, considering he will likely need to be paid as we are just hitting our stride.

Rodriguez is very frustrating. Shows flashes but is constantly injured and often inconsistent.

If I am going to move Abreu, it needs to be a slam dunk type of move, and given our pitching depth, that deal just doesn't do it for me.

Well, we know Rick loves threeways. You'd see who JBJ could net you.

The more I think about it the less it makes sense to lock up abreu at $20mil + per year in 2020 and beyond. (age 32-37ish)

Love the mentor angle with moncada but bring in one year vets like Melky or Adrian Gonzalez to fill that role. (taking on minimal salary or getting a legit prospect to take on that contract in the A Gon example)

I'd do groome, Rodriguez with Boston or McMahon plus from Colorado for abreu.

it's probably not time for Avi deal until midseason - where we decide if he's part of the core or not, but I bet Atlanta would love to turn kemp into Avi in right.

Take on that kemp deal and I bet we could get multiple starters in top 100 back. not their top guys but Ian Anderson, gohara, etc.

Point is, we can keep payroll similar by swapping abreu and avi for veterans that can also be mentors (not sure about kemp) while adding 3-4 legit pitching prospects at different stages of arrival.

i.e. Rodriguez, groome, Anderson, gohara.

That's too much potential for 2 years of control of veteran leadership.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 10, 2017 -> 09:39 AM)
Just to be clear, this isn't a contest to determine who can field an MLB team with the lowest payroll.

We can pay some people.

I legit don't think some people realize how low this payroll is going to be. Yes, we don't want to throw around stupid money but one of the reasons this rebuild is in such a great position is because we have 0 money on the books right now. This team can spend.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE (fredmanrique @ Nov 10, 2017 -> 09:03 AM)
The more I think about it the less it makes sense to lock up abreu at $20mil + per year in 2020 and beyond. (age 32-37ish)

Love the mentor angle with moncada but bring in one year vets like Melky or Adrian Gonzalez to fill that role. (taking on minimal salary or getting a legit prospect to take on that contract in the A Gon example)

I'd do groome, Rodriguez with Boston or McMahon plus from Colorado for abreu.

it's probably not time for Avi deal until midseason - where we decide if he's part of the core or not, but I bet Atlanta would love to turn kemp into Avi in right.

Take on that kemp deal and I bet we could get multiple starters in top 100 back. not their top guys but Ian Anderson, gohara, etc.

Point is, we can keep payroll similar by swapping abreu and avi for veterans that can also be mentors (not sure about kemp) while adding 3-4 legit pitching prospects at different stages of arrival.

i.e. Rodriguez, groome, Anderson, gohara.

That's too much potential for 2 years of control of veteran leadership.

I'd love a Garcia trade starting for Gohara. Plus it seems the Braves are ready to make moves and get people in that new stadium. You've got my attention sir!

I agree with the poster who doesn’t want to lock up Abreu to a $20M AAV deal until he’s 37. That’s why you sign him to a four year extension this offseason. The closer you get to free agency with him, the deeper into his mid & late 30’s an extension will require. I feel pretty good about him remaining a highly productive hitter for the next few years (even if he must move to DH at some point) and only 2018 should be a wasted season per se. And while I think the mentorship role is important, I also think having him a key member of the team is important towards recruiting high-end free agents next offseason. There is a lot of value in keeping Abreu around and I’m ok paying a slight premium in AAV if he’ll agee to a reasonable contract length.

QUOTE (Chicago White Sox @ Nov 10, 2017 -> 11:53 AM)
I agree with the poster who doesn’t want to lock up Abreu to a $20M AAV deal until he’s 37. That’s why you sign him to a four year extension this offseason. The closer you get to free agency with him, the deeper into his mid & late 30’s an extension will require. I feel pretty good about him remaining a highly productive hitter for the next few years (even if he must move to DH at some point) and only 2018 should be a wasted season per se. And while I think the mentorship role is important, I also think having him a key member of the team is important towards recruiting high-end free agents next offseason. There is a lot of value in keeping Abreu around and I’m ok paying a slight premium in AAV if he’ll agee to a reasonable contract length.

Yeah and while payroll is low, I would try to front-load it.