6/1 - White Sox (33-20) @ Cleveland (28-24) - 6:10pm EDT - NBCSC/FS1

knightni

7 minutes ago, mharkins said:

It must be all that damn jewelry weighing him down in the batters box. 🤣🤡😇

Not surprised to see the league making standard adjustments to take away his strengths, while exploiting his patterns and weaknesses. It’s all going to come down to his ability (or lack thereof) to make the necessary adjustments. Yermin’s next 3-4 weeks will be interesting to witness. 

He'll start hitting again. There are signs he is coming around.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

He'll start hitting again. There are signs he is coming around.

what are the signs, his constantly missing good pitches to hit then getting himself out with 2 strikes when he does his Madrigal act?  I've said it before but there is probably a reason literally nobody else does the crazy "shorten up to a fastpitch softball swing" thing with 2 strikes.  Nobody in MLB anyways.

• Like 1

That was a tough loss men. Forget it and focus on kicking  their asses tomorrow.

Even if we lose, we still leave town in first place, but it sure would be nice to hold serve with a split.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Yermin had two really hard hit balls today.

Him pressing a little and expanding the zone is frustrating. He has been doing that all year though and fouling off tough pitches.

Ups and downs will happen. He’s batting something like .138 since that home run off goofy ass Astudillo.

Doubt that history of events has anything to do for his slide. He was also hit in the head recently (yes a breaking ball) but that can still mess with a players approach especially the way he crowds the plate.

His hitting statistics (although in the minors) shows that he will make necessary adjustments. The guy had one big league AB coming into this season.

Just like Nick struggling and now hitting like .350 over the last couple weeks.

Same with Vaughn right now. You guys we have a lot of young bats in the lineup with some lofty expectations set by us. There is a reason they are up here and there is a reason all 3 of them have helped the White Sox this season so far to a 2.5 game lead in the division.

Hell that play in LF today by Vaughn was ridiculous! Saved at least a run and helped Cease get out of that shit show of a first inning.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

11 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

what are the signs, his constantly missing good pitches to hit then getting himself out with 2 strikes when he does his Madrigal act?  I've said it before but there is probably a reason literally nobody else does the crazy "shorten up to a fastpitch softball swing" thing with 2 strikes.  Nobody in MLB anyways.

Well for one he is being a little more selective at the plate, he's taken a few walks, he's hitting the ball better , harder, just at people, he's not popping up as much, he hit that one fly ball about 8.5 feet up against the wall that was caught. He's hit 3 scorchers to SS all of them were outs in the last few games.

As with anyone with a leg kick timing is crucial. Usually it involves not getting the foot down soon enough.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Well for one he is being a little more selective at the plate, he's taken a few walks, he's hitting the ball better , harder, just at people, he's not popping up as much, he hit that one fly ball about 8.5 feet up against the wall that was caught. He's hit 3 scorchers to SS all of them were outs in the last few games.

As with anyone with a leg kick timing is crucial. Usually it involves not getting the foot down soon enough.

some fair points.  i hope he gets hotter than shit.

Edited by chitownsportsfan
  • Like 1

Maybe it's purely coincidence, but Yermin has been slumping since the homerun incident. Maybe the manager publically calling out his playstyle and putting him in the spotlight for a week wasn't the best idea. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

some fair points.  i hope he gets hotter than shit.

Sometimes it's just a matter of the month  changing as silly as that sounds with all the other points I made. He definitely has to be much more selective against righties, but when a guy like Mercedes is also slumping against lefties you know something is off.

3 minutes ago, ron883 said:

Maybe it's purely coincidence, but Yermin has been slumping since the homerun incident. Maybe the manager publically calling out his playstyle and putting him in the spotlight for a week wasn't the best idea. 

You know that crossed my mind but I can't really say that has much to do with it. Of course it's a possibility since even a little change in confidence can be detrimental.  But LaRussa hasn't benched him at all and has left him in the fifth spot. Those actions should also tell Mercedes LaRussa believes in him.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, tray said:

That was a tough loss men. Forget it and focus on kicking  their asses tomorrow.

Even if we lose, we still leave town in first place, but it sure would be nice to hold serve with a split.

We cannot let Jose Ramirez beat us tomorrow. He hurt us today again.  We need tohave better pitch calling.  We keep getting hurt by the fastball to hitters that can’t hit the off speed pitches.  We also need Abreu and Yermin to deliver which they did not do today.  I would also move Yermin down in the lineup.

Cease is a bad matchup for with Cleveland. Cease is his best when he gets people swinging at stuff outside the zone, and Cleveland, despite not hitting a ton this year, is pretty good at laying off out of zone pitches (at least against the Sox they are). Cease needs to get better at hitting the edges with his 0-2 and 1-2 pitches.

1 hour ago, MeanJoeCrede said:

Tony's master plan of " looking for a single there" didnt work, even with 4 of them and a walk.

And when he gets one we don’t hit and run and hit into double plays.  Conversely, our catchers cannot throw anybody out.

15 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Cease is a bad matchup for with Cleveland. Cease is his best when he gets people swinging at stuff outside the zone, and Cleveland, despite not hitting a ton this year, is pretty good at laying off out of zone pitches (at least against the Sox they are). Cease needs to get better at hitting the edges with his 0-2 and 1-2 pitches.

Cease has been a lot better this year when shit hits the fan. Today just wasn’t one of them. He battled though.

The guy gave up two infield rbi singles in the first inning and a wild pitch on a strike 3. Previous Cease would have never made it out of that inning. Not to mention about 3 broken bat singles throughout the game. 

His stuff is top of the rotation stuff. He is coming along. 

Was just a tough outing all around. That almost ended up in a Sox comeback. How many of those Cease outings in the past has it been completely out of reach?! Haha

22 minutes ago, WhiteSoxFan1993 said:

Honestly Dylan looks great against bad teams (Orioles and Tigers starts come to mind). Against more disciplined teams he's done pretty poorly. I guess you can say his Reds start was against a decent offense but that Reds lineup is either feast or famine.

3 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

Nicky Delmonico, Daniel Palka, and now  . . . . Yermin Mercedes. 

We've seen this show before. 

I don't know about that. When Yermin was raking he seems to cover the plate so well and blast everything hard. I'd be surprised if he turns to crud. I feel for the guy cause he's been lousy since the incident in which he took too much heat for the alleged offense. I personally think he'll have a huge game very soon, like 3 HRs in a game or 7 RBI in a game or five hits in a game again or something.

• Like 1