Should Rodon be shut down for an extended period to preserve him for the postseason?

ron883

Should Rodon be shut down for an extended period?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Should Rodon be shut down for an extended period?

36 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I've approached the home field advantage angle and resting Rodon in some way many times with people here. I've brought up the home field advantage as a reason to strengthen the team with trades to give the Sox the best chance in the playoffs.

What I've learned is the posters here don't care about home field advantage nor do they care about Rodon's health. The only thing they care about is not losing prospects and extending our imaginary decade of dominance that PT Barnum has sold us.

I think it's possible to rest him and get home field advantage by trading for Escobar , Gallo ,  and some strong relievers but now you are talking about hitting the farm teams hard which very few want to do. Everyone is afraid of giving up the next Tatis and losing future superstars which would lose the Sox multiple championships.

Future teams are like Christmas packages waiting to be opened with the best toys imaginable. The children were nestled all snug in their beds, While visions of sugar-plums danced in their heads...

Who are you imagining that it will take to get Gallo? As noted above the issue with him is that it almost certainly costs one of Vaughn, Crochet, or Kopech, at least in this system. There’s a case to be made that Fry and Bummer are good enough for lefties out of the bullpen, but adding Gallo while subtracting Vaughn (and hey now Eloy is playing the field every day so he’s hurt in September) or while losing Kopech who can give very high quality fillin starts in August seems like a rough path to home field advantage.

49 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

People still buy into this load management crap smdh.

Thus isn't load management. Load management implies healthy players whose time is limited because normal wear and tear of a normal season may be too much for them to perform at a high level for each game. Injury prevention is secondary. 

In this case you've got a pitcher who has not had a regular load for 2 straight years due to injuries. This isn't load management. This is knowing his individual situation the past 2 years and wanting to prevent injuries and have him available for the post season

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Who are you imagining that it will take to get Gallo? As noted above the issue with him is that it almost certainly costs one of Vaughn, Crochet, or Kopech, at least in this system. There’s a case to be made that Fry and Bummer are good enough for lefties out of the bullpen, but adding Gallo while subtracting Vaughn (and hey now Eloy is playing the field every day so he’s hurt in September) or while losing Kopech who can give very high quality fillin starts in August seems like a rough path to home field advantage.

Beats me. I don't know what TX wants for 1.5 years of Gallo. At one point Lopez, Fulmer and Collins were ranked 38, 58 ,and 80 on MLB's Top 100 prospects list. Now the Sox don't have a single guy there though I would imagine there's a chance Burger could have made it. So I think there is a general tendency to over rate what we have on the farm. Then again Tatis, Jr.. never got a chance with the Sox to be ranked before he was traded.

Maybe the Sox can pull it off without giving up Vaughn or Kopech.

Pitch him until his arm falls off, this is his last year under contract.

No, seriously, I've advocated for a six man rotation for the time after the ASB, resume to a five man rotation around Labour Day to get pitchers on schedule for the playoffs. Suppress innings for rest (Rodon, Cease), and bad vesting options (Keuchel). 

Kopech will need to be ramped up slowly (2 to 3 to 4 to 5), so bring up another starter for a tandum, or reserve Crochet's 2 IP spots for Keuchel's games. 

I think the Sox have built in a few days for Rodon throughout the year.  Maybe they should find more places to spot start Kopech in the second half. Trouble with that is that with the complete implosion of Marshall, Foster, and Heuer, Kopech is too valuable in the pen.

would also like to limit Keuchel’s load for contract reasons.

36 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

Beats me. I don't know what TX wants for 1.5 years of Gallo. At one point Lopez, Fulmer and Collins were ranked 38, 58 ,and 80 on MLB's Top 100 prospects list. Now the Sox don't have a single guy there though I would imagine there's a chance Burger could have made it. So I think there is a general tendency to over rate what we have on the farm. Then again Tatis, Jr.. never got a chance with the Sox to be ranked before he was traded.

Maybe the Sox can pull it off without giving up Vaughn or Kopech.

Texas should be fine financially so there’s no reason to expect they couldn’t sign Gallo if they wanted to. He has 1.5 years of control so they don’t have to be in a hurry either. Out of our system, it would be totally fair to ask for one of those three as a headliner and I don’t think it would be wise to accept a deal from us without one of them. I would imagine it could be done with Crochet as a centerpiece if you were ok with that.

3 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

I tun marathons all the time. Kind of not the same thing guy

Ok, Boomer.

Taking a guy who has literally never done the type of performance that is being talked about, and expecting to him to just be able to put up a full seasons worth of innings just because, isn't going to end well.  He has two seasons of pitching 100 innings or more, 1 since 2018.  His career high is 165 which happened in 2016.  Expecting him to be able to handle the marathon of a season is unrealistic.  Its like taking Usain Bolt and putting him in the marathon since he holds the 100 meter world record.

• Like 1

Yes. 110%. Just like Kopech and his somewhat phantom injury. 

As mentioned I'd go out there and get a body. Or bring up Stiever. This should become even more apparent if our lead continues to grow. 

I just looked up the Knights stats.. no idea who Mike Wright Jr. is - not a bad season so far. 61ip, under 1.00 whip. Lambert should be able to give a few. Stiever. Reynaldo is a disaster down there, but maybe a few innings out of him. Give me 10-15 starts out of the group above and let us go .500 during those and i'd be happy. Those 75IP plus a few kopech starts should really help relieve the staff enough to keep them okay for games that count. Selectively find series against the tigers, orioles, royals, etc. and use those guys against those teams. 

• Like 1

I wouldn’t shut him down but skipping him every now and again and maybe go to a 6 man rotation for a bit if the division lead affords it.  I think you somehow need to manage his innings while not completely stopping him and starting him over if that makes sense.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Ok, Boomer.

Taking a guy who has literally never done the type of performance that is being talked about, and expecting to him to just be able to put up a full seasons worth of innings just because, isn't going to end well.  He has two seasons of pitching 100 innings or more, 1 since 2018.  His career high is 165 which happened in 2016.  Expecting him to be able to handle the marathon of a season is unrealistic.  Its like taking Usain Bolt and putting him in the marathon since he holds the 100 meter world record.

2 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Ok, Boomer.

I don’t want to belabor this, but by ising the logic given, Rodon is rested and ready more than anything. Prior seasons dont tend to be involved in the calculus. Rodon built gimself up for a full season and he should be ready for it. Its a fair point or theory if you will, but there is no demonstrable proof behind it. The more load management becomes implemented in sports, the more injuries we seem to see imo..  As long as we are putting unproven ideas into the ether, I would guess that everyone throwing 97 mph and bulking up has done more damage than playing a gosh darn full season.

3 minutes ago, Chick Mercedes said:

I don’t want to belabor this, but by ising the logic given, Rodon is rested and ready more than anything. Prior seasons dont tend to be involved in the calculus. Rodon built gimself up for a full season and he should be ready for it. Its a fair point or theory if you will, but there is no demonstrable proof behind it. The more load management becomes implemented in sports, the more injuries we seem to see imo..  As long as we are putting unproven ideas into the ether, I would guess that everyone throwing 97 mph and bulking up has done more damage than playing a gosh darn full season.

You "build yourself up" by pitching.  Rodon hasn't done that.  Just like you built yourself up for running marathon by running long distances.  The point is this isn't load management, this is conditioning.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I've approached the home field advantage angle and resting Rodon in some way many times with people here. I've brought up the home field advantage as a reason to strengthen the team with trades to give the Sox the best chance in the playoffs.

What I've learned is the posters here don't care about home field advantage nor do they care about Rodon's health. The only thing they care about is not losing prospects and extending our imaginary decade of dominance that PT Barnum has sold us.

I think it's possible to rest him and get home field advantage by trading for Escobar , Gallo ,  and some strong relievers but now you are talking about hitting the farm teams hard which very few want to do. Everyone is afraid of giving up the next Tatis and losing future superstars which would lose the Sox multiple championships.

Future teams are like Christmas packages waiting to be opened with the best toys imaginable. The children were nestled all snug in their beds, While visions of sugar-plums danced in their heads...

Cali - You know I’m a big fan of yours, but this is a completely ridiculously summation of how most people feel.  Most of us want to take a balanced approach that optimizes a 2021 to 2024 window.  Meanwhile, you seem to want to go “all in” on 2021 no matter the near-term consequences it may have.

2 hours ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Well, that's because Ron probably was listening to The Score, and heard Stone talk about this very issue. (The question from the host was along the lines of whether they should go balls to the walls to get the #1 seed in the AL playoffs; Stone instead said something about controlling the IP count on this staff.)

All that said, I'd be in favor of limiting IP on this staff if they could find a cromulent AAAA type to eat a start here and there. Alas, I'm not convinced that there is a AAAA type on offer right now; Lopez sucks right now, and Cease has become questionable in his performance since the sticky stuff ban.

Pray for health among the starting rotation.

I haven't listened to the Score in weeks, but I'm glad they asked Stoney about it. 

Edited by ron883

18 minutes ago, southsider2k5 said:

Ok, Boomer.

Well, probably more like putting him in a 5k road race…

WTF with this thread?

They don't hand out Division Titles at the Allstar break.    

Gotta keep playing the games and try to win as many of them. 

Yes, come September and assuming you have a comfortable lead, you throw in another starter in there to  push everyone out to 5-6 days rest or even skip a start for each guy. 

• Thanks 2

25 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Texas should be fine financially so there’s no reason to expect they couldn’t sign Gallo if they wanted to. He has 1.5 years of control so they don’t have to be in a hurry either. Out of our system, it would be totally fair to ask for one of those three as a headliner and I don’t think it would be wise to accept a deal from us without one of them. I would imagine it could be done with Crochet as a centerpiece if you were ok with that.

Exactly this. They have like ZERO impetus to give gallo away, unless they're offered a moronically high value package in return.

As a fan of the SOX, I don't want this FO to be morons, and trade away a fuckton for gallo. I dont think that Texas will give him away, unless they know something about Gallo that the rest of the world does not.

I also don't think that this FO would be stoopud enough to give away the farm for Gallo. At least, I hope not.

2 minutes ago, ron883 said:

This is false. I haven't listened to the Score in weeks. 

Hey, congrats to you, then. This is the first "non-click baity" thread from you in awhile. It got you off your quixotic quest to hate on the AL MVP, AND it is a cogent topic.

More cogent threads from you, please. And continue to give your Abreu hate a rest as well.

3 minutes ago, Two-Gun Pete said:

Exactly this. They have like ZERO impetus to give gallo away, unless they're offered a moronically high value package in return.

As a fan of the SOX, I don't want this FO to be morons, and trade away a fuckton for gallo. I dont think that Texas will give him away, unless they know something about Gallo that the rest of the world does not.

I also don't think that this FO would be stoopud enough to give away the farm for Gallo. At least, I hope not.

Hey, congrats to you, then. This is the first "non-click baity" thread from you in awhile. It got you off your quixotic quest to hate on the AL MVP, AND it is a cogent topic.

More cogent threads from you, please. And continue to give your Abreu hate a rest as well.

Congrats, you just got reported for baiting. 

• Haha 1