Offseason Thread

reiks12

12 minutes ago, fathom said:

Why not trade Vaughn instead?  Rebuilding teams probably value him way more.

So, spend lots of $ on Castellanos which makes our defense worse, exacerbates are right handed hitting imbalance, and hampers are being able to re-sign our core players when the time comes. Also, sell low on young , cheap players like Vaughn or potential superstars because they struggled after missing most of the year due to injury like Eloy. 

Seriously people, we have had multiple pages debating me that we can't have Sheets in RF because of his defense, but then  suggestions we get guys like Schwarber & Castellanos to play RF. 

Edited by kleedawg
grammar
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

So, spend lots of $ on Castellanos which makes our defense worse, exacerbates are right handed hitting imbalance, and hampers are being able to re-sign our core players when the time comes. Also, sell low on young , cheap players like Vaughn or potential superstars because they struggled after missing most of the year due to injury like Eloy. 

Seriously people, we have had multiple pages debating me that we can't have Sheets in RF because of his defense, but then suggestions we get guys like Schwarber & Castellanos to play RF.

The difference is in the bats, as someone in those arguments had make clear.

I’m someone who doesn’t want any of those 3 (Sheets, Schwarber, Castellanos) in RF however.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

Is the only reason nobody wants Castellanos because of his defense? I’m trying to wrap my head around this? He’s been one of the most consistent hitters the last 3 years, isn’t that what the Sox need?

I understand the defensive issues but this would allow them to put Vaughn, Eloy, and or Sheets on the block to see if they can improve other areas. 

10 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Is the only reason nobody wants Castellanos because of his defense? I’m trying to wrap my head around this? He’s been one of the most consistent hitters the last 3 years, isn’t that what the Sox need?

I understand the defensive issues but this would allow them to put Vaughn, Eloy, and or Sheets on the block to see if they can improve other areas. 

Yeah if you sign Castellanos, you basically have to deal 2 of Vaughn, Sheets, Eloy I feel.

8 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

No, and I previously stated what those were.

8 minutes ago, kleedawg said:

No, and I previously stated what those were.

pretty much every criticism of castellanos has stated more than his defense, so it's hard for me to believe someone could pick up that people were criticizing him and not understand why they were criticizing him.

9 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Yeah if you sign Castellanos, you basically have to deal 2 of Vaughn, Sheets, Eloy I feel.

This doesn't track with me at all, but it certainly indicates that signing castellanos is clearly a terrible option.

1 hour ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Is that a bad thing though? To cover other needs like a SP1/2 or 2B maybe a Brandon Lowe or shooting for the moon here Jose Ramirez? Feel like Castellanos bat brings consistency and power something the Sox lacked this year regardless of injuries and brings an attitude too something this team really does lack IMO. I don’t know about you guys but I feel like I’d be able to put up with Castellanos defense for a .300 30 HRs 100RBI  hitter who hits both LHP & RHP well that’s why I don’t understand the lack of love for him when this team looked so streaky. 

3 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Is that a bad thing though? To cover other needs like a SP1/2 or 2B maybe a Brandon Lowe or shooting for the moon here Jose Ramirez? Feel like Castellanos bat brings consistency and power something the Sox lacked this year regardless of injuries and brings an attitude too something this team really does lack IMO. I don’t know about you guys but I feel like I’d be able to put up with Castellanos defense for a .300 30 HRs 100RBI  hitter who hits both LHP & RHP well that’s why I don’t understand the lack of love for him when this team looked so streaky. 

I’m pretty much open to signing anyone and dealing from depth at this point ha

19 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

But wasn’t Conforto pretty bad last year? 

I would say more average than bad.  The only reason Conforto is going to be available to the Sox is BECAUSE he had a down season.  He's in the midst of his prime, I will take the 6 seasons of 125 wRC+ with a bat that fills a ton of needs for this club as opposed to focusing solely on his 2021.  Had he been his regular self in 2021, he'd be looking at a deal well over $100M.

Ultimately depends what his market looks like, but I think he'll get a 3-4 year deal between $15-18M AAV.  IMO, whoever signs him to that deal is going to be very happy assuming he can stay healthy. 

Have convinced myself the Diamondbacks are ideal trade partner and Daulton Varsho and Ketel Marte are the ideal targets. Varsho, 5 yrs of arb control and Marte 3 more years of control beginning at $8M for '22. D-backs are years away from challenging and would really benefit from influx of young talent. I'd dangle Eloy, Crochet, Collins, Sheets and be prepared to throw in Lopez, Burger and or Kelley. Varsho provides LH power and strong defense as catcher or any OF position and Marte is the perfect IF addition and middle of the order bat.  I'd also be in discussion with the Phils about Gregorious. They might be very willing to offload his $14M salary in exchange for a closer like Kimbrel. Am guessing Didi  and his LH power could seamlessly slide to 2B, at least through '22.

• bmags locked this topic