Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

2 hours ago, Chicago White Sox said:

Yeah, why try to get better after a first round humiliation.  Thanks for expert analysis Steve!

According to Stone, all we need to be a WS contender is for Eloy to hit the cutoff man.

Edited by KBX
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Hahn has already acknowledged publicly that they're open to trading him, so I'm not sure if Stone saying this matters but here's the tweet

'I am not fundamentally hostile to the idea of making the club better.' — Rick Hahn, by way of Steve Stone, PhD

27 minutes ago, maxjusttyped said:

Ugh, I was hoping the Astros would get worse. I'm still hoping the Dodgers miss out on Freeman so they can go and spend big money on Correa. 

Edited by chw42
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, YouCanPutItOnTheBoardYES! said:

It’s sad how much of a yes man Stone has become. He used to provide insightful analysis, all he does now is protect Jerry’s checkbook.

He’s still great on tv.  He’s absolutely brutal on Twitter.  He’s a yes man and he’s a condescending jackass on social media.  

• Like 10

11 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Ugh, I was hoping the Astros would get worse. I'm still hoping the Dodgers miss out on Freeman so they can go and spend big money on Correa. 

With Turner and Lux, they don't HAVE to do anything right now, not to mention Taylor and Muncy.

3 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

He’s still great on tv.  He’s absolutely brutal on Twitter.  He’s a yes man and he’s a condescending jackass on social media.  

Comparing how he spent the entire 2020 season relentlessly criticizing Renteria vs the radio silence on *all* of Tony's issues last year made me lose so much respect for him. He's still a solid analyst, but take him out of the CSN booth and his #1 job is being a PR guy for Reinsdorf. It's brutal.

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Tnetennba said:

"The Padres could use some thump in the middle of their lineup. Considering they’re in good shape up the middle, they can focus on finding a corner-outfield/DH type exclusively for his bat.

Kyle Schwarber and Jorge Soler fit the bill. And who knows? If the Padres can clear some salary elsewhere, they might even splurge on a player of Nick Castellanos’ ilk."

mlb.com

This makes (financial) sense if they can move Myers, especially.  They've also got a top OF prospect in Robert Hassell.  Assuming Tatis is back at SS, that leaves Grisham, Myers and Profar (more of a 4th outfielder, utility guy), to name a few.  They're also looking at Nelson Cruz as their full-time DH.

33 minutes ago, Rowand44 said:

Could not have said it better myself. He treats valid criticism by fans as hysteria. Part of me of me does think he isn't used to the death by 1000 papercuts that social media brings, though 

If the Twins sign one of the big name free agents shortstops, I would honestly keep Kimbrel if they can’t get anything of value for him and just see if they can move him at the deadline. A shutdown bullpen would be useful since it appears that the division is going to get tougher. 

16 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

If the Twins sign one of the big name free agents shortstops, I would honestly keep Kimbrel if they can’t get anything of value for him and just see if they can move him at the deadline. A shutdown bullpen would be useful since it appears that the division is going to get tougher. 

There’s no way the Twins are going to sign Correa or Story after fighting to get out from under the Donaldson contract.

Detroit would make a lot more sense, and who we should be more concerned about signing him.

7 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

There’s no way the Twins are going to sign Correa or Story after fighting to get out from under the Donaldson contract.

Detroit would make a lot more sense, and who we should be more concerned about signing him.

The Tigers have Baez though and I thought I read somewhere where Story wants to stay at SS. Correa is a SS as well and I don’t think he would want to move to 2nd base. 

If one of them signs within the division, it will be interesting to see what the Sox do to respond to it. Would it finally push them to go out and sign a RF, etc.

Edited by maloney.adam

6 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I hope the Twins back up the truck for Trevor Story. Dude is overrated and they can continue to straddle the line between competing and rebuilding. 

Yeah, they just traded a pompous overpay to potentially grab another one...that is fine by me. Tie up big dollars to a guy that had his best years already

7 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

A playoff spot =|= challenging for the division.  Come on now. 

The question was “what are the Twins doing they obviously can’t win the division”. That can be totally true and at the same time the Twins can still have reason to add players because of those wild card spots.

6 hours ago, CWSpalehoseCWS said:

At least he tortures other fanbases too.

Having just woken up I would like to confirm that the small amount of available sleep due to daylight stupid time was in fact the correct decision.

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, maloney.adam said:

The Tigers have Baez though and I thought I read somewhere where Story wants to stay at SS. Correa is a SS as well and I don’t think he would want to move to 2nd base. 

If one of them signs within the division, it will be interesting to see what the Sox do to respond to it. Would it finally push them to go out and sign a RF, etc.

The White Sox will insist that “this just puts them in a better position to compete with us.” Except this time it will actually be somewhat deserved.

Kris Bryant has not signed

Michael Conforto has not signed

Nick C has not signed

I'm going to hold out hope for a big bat in RF.  I might be in the minority but I like Josh Harrison. Guys like him are pests and you need a few of those come playoff time and during the season. This team, at times, last year was a bit laid back (outside of TA)......Harrison may help with that.

7 hours ago, maloney.adam said:

Pitchers sign pretty quickly if there are fewer of them on the market. You can never have enough pitching. Position players take longer especially if there are a lot of them on the market and also if something is holding up the market like Freeman waiting to see if the Braves throw in an extra year. Lol

7 hours ago, fathom said:

Rodon was the main pitcher on the market.  There are way more impact hitters that are on the market and waiting to see what the market values them at.

If there’s one thing I can say about Scott Boras, he’s not dumb. He doesn’t need to wait on a market to know how much his guys are worth. 

He has set a high but not unreasonable price for his guys. In some cases he may not get it, but I can guarantee you that if a team comes to him right now and says they are going to get Conforto signed, and they’re somewhat close to his demands, they will get him signed. Boras doesn’t pass up a legit effort to sign a guy once it’s there.

The waiting game is not just a Boras strategy. It is much more the owners being reluctant to spend money and hoping that maybe prices come down. Except now there’s only days left to do business, so the waiting game is kinda silly.