Offseason Part 2 - Lets the Rumors & Action Begin

Chisoxfn

1 minute ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Can the Sox afford to hand out their first $100 million contract to a guy who could potentially put up a <1 WAR in a season?  

They gave $80 million to a guy coming off a 0.6 fWAR season in Keuchel. 

There is a chance Conforto does bomb, but given his history, I don't think it's all that likely. At the very least, he seems like an average MLB starter.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

But you just said the Sox have a DH and then named Sheets and the Sox starting LF lol.

So it sounds like, to me, the SOx don't have a DH?

@ChiSox59 reading comprehension not your strength, bud? You named sheets AND the sox starting left fielder who is eloy. No where did i say you called sheets the sox starting left fielder

please don't try to dunk on me when you don't even know what was said

4 minutes ago, HOFHurt35 said:

Can the Sox afford to hand out their first $100 million contract to a guy who could potentially put up a <1 WAR in a season?  

Can they afford it? Yes

Will it happen? Sources point to No

2 minutes ago, SoxBlanco said:

@ChiSox59

The confusion happened with the part I highlighted above.  Ray Ray meant that you named Sheets and the guy who is currently our LF (Eloy) as the DH options.  He didn't mean that you were claiming Sheets is the LF.

Ahhh.  Understood, thanks for clarifying.  My misunderstanding.  The Sox are going to sign an OF.  It might not be the one we want, but they're going to sign one.  Then one of Eloy, Vaughn and Sheets DHs.  SO yes, we still have a boatload DHs and point remains.  

1 minute ago, chw42 said:

They gave $80 million to a guy coming off a 0.6 fWAR season in Keuchel. 

There is a chance Conforto does bomb, but given his history, I don't think it's all that likely. At the very least, he seems like an average MLB starter.

Case and point.   You think an owner who is already cheap in handing out long term contracts wouldn't be hesitant in making potentially another risky one here? 

100% the Sox regret that Keuchel contract, and it's handcuffed them a bit here in doing other things to this roster. 

1 hour ago, Capn12 said:

I think we're all, in our own timeframe, coming to terms with the fact that Conforto was never really an option, if we're honest with ourselves. Not with status quo ownership.

I think I said that a month ago.Maybe it was longer ago, before the lockout. But I still hope I'm wrong !

35 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

That's fair.  But looking at AAV for this year while dismissing the rest of the contract is cherry picking and dismissing an enormous part of the calcullus.  

Sox needed RP.  They signed 2 solid relievers and a swing man.  Ray thinks he could have chosen better?  Shocking development.  

Sox needed a 2B.  They signed someone I don't love, but he at least plays good 2B and is a sparkplug and the FA market didn't have many options.  I never expected the 2B signing to be a splash.  Harrison is a perfectly acceptable 2B and 9 hole hitter IF IF IF IF IF Sox sign Conforto, who by the way, is still available.  

Kimbrel is still on the rsoter, but they still have a few weeks to trade him.  He'll get moved.    

Honestly, I am not excited about the Sox offseason to this point.  I have a hard time understanding what they're trying to accomplish.  But we're dealing with an incomplete picture.  The order of the deals is somewhat meaningless, even if its hard to see through the trees at this point.  If this is the roster they break camp with, b**** away.  But we're weeks away from that.  And by the way, this roster is still one of the best in baseball and will win this division going away.  

They signed fine relievers but have overpaid in the process, especially in the case of Kelly who is injured. You didn't expect 2B to be a splash, but that's just a byproduct of not having expectation for this FO, not that they were not capable. Had it not been the Kelly and VV signing, they could have walked away with Escobar and McHugh. The fact that Kimbrel is still on the roster is likely the reason they didn't QO Rodon or we weren't able to give Conforto the money he's looking for.

I am in the camp of losing all my patience with the FO this offseason, and I was on the other side defending them every single year prior. Honestly it's the vicious cycle every time,  at the start of offseason we identify a couple of tier 1/2 free agents we expect the FO to go after that would been a great fit on this roster, rumors come up and we get excited, but with each passing day deal isn't getting done the likelihood of the deal happen diminishes and we end up sobbing and venting when it's all over. And with how the offseason has been progressing (poor spending of resources, and lack of advancement in Conforto talks) I don't see how this one would turn out any different.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs
  • Love 1

3 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Ahhh.  Understood, thanks for clarifying.  My misunderstanding.  The Sox are going to sign an OF.  It might not be the one we want, but they're going to sign one.  Then one of Eloy, Vaughn and Sheets DHs.  SO yes, we still have a boatload DHs and point remains.  

Eloy is not moving from LF. I have no idea where some people come up with this shit.

The White Sox put Eloy back in LF last year after he badly injured himself. They're not moving him out of LF. There's literally no evidence the Sox intend to move Eloy out of LF, regardless of what you think or what scenario's you've dreamed up in your head.

So we're again back at... Sheets is very possibly your DH. You just said we didn't need Schwarber because we don't need a DH, and then you said that Sheets is a depth piece and shouldn't be starting as a DH.

And I'm the one who talking to is like smashing your head into a wall. 

My goodness.

19 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

That's fair.  But looking at AAV for this year while dismissing the rest of the contract is cherry picking and dismissing an enormous part of the calcullus.  

Sox needed RP.  They signed 2 solid relievers and a swing man.  Ray thinks he could have chosen better?  Shocking development.  

Sox needed a 2B.  They signed someone I don't love, but he at least plays good 2B and is a sparkplug and the FA market didn't have many options.  I never expected the 2B signing to be a splash.  Harrison is a perfectly acceptable 2B and 9 hole hitter IF IF IF IF IF Sox sign Conforto, who by the way, is still available.  

Kimbrel is still on the rsoter, but they still have a few weeks to trade him.  He'll get moved.    

Honestly, I am not excited about the Sox offseason to this point.  I have a hard time understanding what they're trying to accomplish.  But we're dealing with an incomplete picture.  The order of the deals is somewhat meaningless, even if its hard to see through the trees at this point.  If this is the roster they break camp with, b**** away.  But we're weeks away from that.  And by the way, this roster is still one of the best in baseball and will win this division going away.  

This is a very fair take and where I'm at. 

I'm real pissed at the Sox right now. As the days go on, picking up the option on Kimbrel so they could try and squeeze just a little bit of value out of the failed Madrigal-Kimbrel trade looks to be a mistake, which they then compounded by not giving the QO to Rodon, which still doesn't make any sense. 

Then they have spent 17 million (not even counting Graverman) this offseason on guys you would hope your minor league system could produce, and haven't addressed RF or SP in any significant way. 

I just don't understand the process here. I really, really hope it becomes clear in the coming days, but I'm losing faith. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, thxfrthmmrs said:

They signed fine relievers but have overpaid in the process, especially in the case of Kelly who is injured. You didn't expect 2B to be a splash, but that's just a byproduct of not having expectation for this FO, not that they were not capable. Had it not been the Kelly and VV signing, they could have walked away with Escobar and McHugh. The fact that Kimbrel is still on the roster is likely the reason they didn't QO Rodon or we were able to given Conforto the money he's looking for.

I am in the camp of losing all my patience with the FO this offseason, and I was on the other side defending them every single year prior. Honestly it's the vicious cycle every time,  at the start of offseason we identify a couple of tier 1/2 guys we expect the FO to go after that would been a great fit on this roster, rumors come up and we get excited, but with each passing day deal isn't getting done the likelihood of the deal happen diminishes and we end up sobbing and venting when it's all over. And with how the offseason has been progressing (poor spending of resources, and lack of advancement in Conforto talks) I don't see how this one would turn out any different.

It’s worth pointing out that the Rays sent Joey Wendle to the Marlins for a AA outfielder who has some promise but didn’t break the bank. A couple people had suggested him beforehand, he is in his arb-2 year so cheaper than either of the 2b/utility guys they paid for. That would have absolutely been worth something of comparable value to the white Sox.

24 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

39 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Silly analysis? The Sox spend money like this every off-season. The only one that really impacts the guaranteed money is Conforto too, so really not that silly.

Leury/Harrison are both getting about the same amount of guaranteed dollars as Escobar/Miller. 21.5 million to 23 million.
Chris Martin/Knebel are getting less guaranteed than Joe Kelly and Graveman - by a lot to, 41 million to 12.5 million.

Kimbrel/Velasquez obviously getting less guaranteed than Conforto who we'll estimate around 85/90 million - so 19 million vs 90 million

Total in guarantees: 81.5 million vs 124 million. Give or a take a few for Brad Miller and Conforto.

Hardly a 100 million dollar difference and they fill the RF hole.

Also, the Sox roster is around the 4th or 5th best in the AL.

Adding in the NL, and the Sox have around the 8-9th best roster in baseball. If you want to call that one of the "best rosters in baseball" go right ahead, but I'll go ahead and disagree with that sentiment. 

They didn't lose on purpose for three years, tear it down, and rebuild to come out of it with a back end of the top 10 rosters in the MLB. That's not success in my opinion.

Could a roster at that level win a World Series? Sure, anyone who gets into the playoffs can, but that certainly wasn't the goal when they put together this core.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

This is a very fair take and where I'm at. 

I'm real pissed at the Sox right now. As the days go on, picking up the option on Kimbrel so they could try and squeeze just a little bit of value out of the failed Madrigal-Kimbrel trade looks to be a mistake, which they then compounded by not giving the QO to Rodon, which still doesn't make any sense. 

Then they have spent 17 million (not even counting Graverman) this offseason on guys you would hope your minor league system could produce, and haven't addressed RF or SP in any significant way. 

I just don't understand the process here. I really, really hope it becomes clear in the coming days, but I'm losing faith. 

I really want to give them the benefit of the doubt but the more time that passes the realization is setting in that this is the team and all of the offseason decisions were bad.

The organizational blind spot for giving bullpen guys a lot of money is a real thing and probably a result of the failed 2007 season.

1 minute ago, Harry Chappas said:

I really want to give them the benefit of the doubt but the more time that passes the realization is setting in that this is the team and all of the offseason decisions were bad.

The organizational blind spot for giving bullpen guys a lot of money is a real thing and probably a result of the failed 2007 season.

You'd think we would have learned after Scott Linebrink and Kelvin Hererra. 

7 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

It’s worth pointing out that the Rays sent Joey Wendle to the Marlins for a AA outfielder who has some promise but didn’t break the bank. A couple people had suggested him beforehand, he is in his arb-2 year so cheaper than either of the 2b/utility guys they paid for. That would have absolutely been worth something of comparable value to the white Sox.

Yea I like Misner but that's great value for Wendle. I would have gladly dealt Adolfo + for him, and he would have been a great fit at 2B over Leury and Harrison.

5 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

Sucks to see these names coming off the board this morning at prices the Sox could but won't match. Doesn't feel like the Sox want to spend much more than 4th OF money. How they got to this point has been well chronicled and it's not exactly ideal.

JR is a penny pincher.  He is gonna take it all with him.  

15 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Also, the Sox roster is around the 4th or 5th best in the AL.

Adding in the NL, and the Sox have around the 8-9th best roster in baseball. If you want to call that one of the "best rosters in baseball" go right ahead, but I'll go ahead and disagree with that sentiment. 

They didn't lose on purpose for three years, tear it down, and rebuild to come out of it with a back end of the top 10 rosters in the MLB. That's not success in my opinion.

Could a roster at that level win a World Series? Sure, anyone who gets into the playoffs can, but that certainly wasn't the goal when they put together this core.

According to who?  Please still the 8-9 rosters better than the Sox.  

This is a wild take. 

• Like 1