Rodon to SF, 2 years, $44 million (opt out after year 1)

Heads22

2 hours ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

There aren't a whole lot of veteran pitchers who aren't damaged goods and even less coming of a pretty good year who gutted it out for his team despite the tired arm but uninjured arm.

Lots of people round here want to trade for Bassitt and look at his health record of the past 6 yrs. One guy here thinks Rodon was a terrible idea while thinking at the same time Kopech is going to be the Ace this year. Kopech will be treated the way Rodon should have been treated last year, 5 innings max and out of the game. They won't take a chance of him running out of gas for the playoffs if the Sox can make the playoffs I' guessing 100 innings for the season and whatever he has left saved for the post season .

Good luck Los . If the Sox don't make it to the World Series I hope San Fran does and you get to pitch in it and lead them to victory !

I remember an old school lefty who left for SF and was in the World Series. Billy somebody. 

1 hour ago, pcq said:

I remember an old school lefty who left for SF and was in the World Series. Billy somebody. 

Al Lopez would not play Billy in 59 Series.  Instead, he started Wynn with 2 days rest.  Bombs away.

Rodan has had plenty of good years in the Gaiju world, but has played second fiddle to both Godzilla and King Ghidorah through his career. You have to take his loss to Mothra into account as well. He might come into a 5-5 record against her over time, but still...
Top 10 -12 Gaiju and a solid co-star.
His true calling may be as a sculptor - The Thinker is a global icon. Then again his arm and shoulder problems may limit all of his careers. I'd say it's still a wait and see case with him.

16 minutes ago, FoxForce2 said:

Rodan has had plenty of good years in the Gaiju world, but has played second fiddle to both Godzilla and King Ghidorah through his career. You have to take his loss to Mothra into account as well. He might come into a 5-5 record against her over time, but still...
His true calling may be as a sculptor - The Thinker is a global icon. Then again his arm and shoulder problems may limit all of his careers. I'd say it's still a wait and see case with him.

Da fuk you talkin bout willis

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, FoxForce2 said:

Are we now lost on the set of Pacific Rim 3?

12 hours ago, oldsox said:

Al Lopez would not play Billy in 59 Series.  Instead, he started Wynn with 2 days rest.  Bombs away.

Lopez was a great manager but really screwed up in the 59 Series, as did 3B coach Tony Cuccienello when in game 2 he sent Sherm Lollar home with the tying run in the 7th inning with no outs and slow Lollar was out by a mile, saw it person at old Comiskey.

Edited by The Mighty Mite

I'm totally bummed by the Sox losing Rodon.  I've argued all offseason he should be their #1 priority.  I think the arm issues last year were fatigue, not anything structural.  He should bounce back with a vengeance this year. 

For a good stretch last season, he was the best pitcher in the AL.  Jayson Stark gave him the Cy Young at the All-Star break.  

He's irreplaceable.  There is no one of his quality in the Sox system -- I'd rank Rodon as our best starter last year -- especially no one from the left side.  I think Rodon will be a top-5 pitcher in baseball over the next 5 years.  

I'm saddened by the loss of Carlos, but it's completely on him.

If they guy just gave a damn three years ago and put in the off season conditioning work, he would have a long term contract here.  

Although a 10-15 million team option last year would've been a brilliant move and one he would've agreed to. 

1 hour ago, VAfan said:

I'm totally bummed by the Sox losing Rodon.  I've argued all offseason he should be their #1 priority.  I think the arm issues last year were fatigue, not anything structural.  He should bounce back with a vengeance this year. 

For a good stretch last season, he was the best pitcher in the AL.  Jayson Stark gave him the Cy Young at the All-Star break.  

He's irreplaceable.  There is no one of his quality in the Sox system -- I'd rank Rodon as our best starter last year -- especially no one from the left side.  I think Rodon will be a top-5 pitcher in baseball over the next 5 years.  

Its possible. But his history suggests otherwise.

30 minutes ago, black jack said:

If they guy just gave a damn three years ago and put in the off season conditioning work, he would have a long term contract here.  

Although a 10-15 million team option last year would've been a brilliant move and one he would've agreed to. 

Maybe 6 years ago. Three years ago he already had the shoulder issue, and pitching through it probably caused his TJS in 2019.

Some of that is also on Cooper, like it or not.

1 hour ago, black jack said:

It wasn't as much conditioning as mechanics...and with Boras as his agent, he would have been asking for $150~175 million and long gone.  Which looks to be the direction things are heading with Lucas Giolito as well.

3 hours ago, Chimpton said:

If the Sox had signed Rodon to a deal like this then it would have provoked more than 3 pages of arguing.

Right now this would have hurt because it would use up about 2/3 of their space under the tax.

If they had declined Kimbrel like they should have, this would have been a solid use of funds for 1 year. Now you’re back onto one hell of a rotation on paper with plenty of depth, as opposed to a shallow rotation with good pieces but that has a moderate risks associated with health and depth.

3 hours ago, VAfan said:

It’s amazing when you step away from Soxtalk for awhile and when you return, it’s like everyone just collectively turned against Rodon. It’s honestly so surreal. 

How is the contract for the Giants terrible? At worst, he’s a two year burden. Big deal. At best, he pitches well and leaves after this season. Good, he must have pitched well to justify the exit. For a potential Cy Young pitcher, I will take a short term deal with him any day.

What else are we using this money for? They apparently didn’t care enough about cutting salary with Kimbrel. If there’s some grand scheme in place, fine. Maybe I’ve missed a thread in my absence which theorizes an improvement to our starting rotation which doesn’t involve Rodon. 

The White Sox are geniuses at convincing their fans that someone is not worthy of the team’s money. 

Edited by Flash Tizzle
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, black jack said:

There were rumors and talk of that, but how much of that story is true?  I don't know, but the suspicion of scuttlebutt is strong with me.

Edited by FoxForce2

4 hours ago, VAfan said:

So a guy who has had various shoulder, elbow, & forearm issues over his career and has never been able to stay healthy for a full season is suddenly going to stay healthy for five straight years.  Makes total sense.

• Like 1