Sox sign 2B Josh Harrison (1 yr, 5.5M; club option; 1.5M buyout)

Whisox05

14 hours ago, Dick Allen said:

A 35 year old who hasn't put up a 2 WAR season since 2017, which was his only one since 2014. An injured pitcher, and a gas can whose claim to fane was playing a nice LF. 

I wasn't expecting a lot, but a lot more than that.

You forgot the reliever with the benign spinal tumor who costs $24M if you’re painting it through this lenses.

Personally I’m fine with Gravemen & Kelly for a combined $16.5M.  What I’m not fine is spending that much on two setup men while spending $16M on Kimbrel plus $11M on Harrison & Leury.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

You forgot the reliever with the benign spinal tumor who costs $24M if you’re painting it through this lenses.

Personally I’m fine with Gravemen & Kelly for a combined $16.5M.  What I’m not fine is spending that much on two setup men while spending $16M on Kimbrel plus $11M on Harrison & Leury.

The 11 million on Harrison and leury honestly makes my head spin. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yeah at that point go with Leury and Romy instead of Harrison. It's also going to look bad if Brad Miller signs another 1 year deal under $3 mill haha

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

It’s mind boggling.  They don’t even formulate a good 2B platoon and we have other guys who better cover the OF.  Hell, at the moment, if Moncada went down for an extended period I’d rather give the playing time to Burger.  I get versatility is valuable, but not when you have holes in your everyday lineup and rotation.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Colome's Hat said:

I think they are getting a left handed bat.  Hahn was upfront about adding more power in the off season press conference.  

Just reading the tea leaves.  We all know they need it.  Whether they pony up is an entirely different story.

Just now, Tnetennba said:

Just reading the tea leaves.  We all know they need it.  Whether they pony up is an entirely different story.

I expect Kimbrel to likely be traded.  To be honest, even a rebuilding club could likely use Kimbrel for half a season and trade him somewhere else for prospects.  But I also think they will spend regardless.  This is their best chance to reach the World Series since 2006.

This move bewilders me, but it's also so typically White Sox. Get a guy who seems somewhat good enough to plug a hole that seems just insignificant enough to gloss over

Can't wait for October when people chirp "well, what did you EXPECT from Harrison?" 

It's so infuriating, I'd rather just go with Leury and any prospect with decent upside 

And yes, this move has Kenny written all over it

Edited by Greg Hibbard

James Fegan of the Athletic likely put this best when he said it raises the floor for the White Sox at 2B, even if it doesn't raise the ceiling.

Since Leury Garcia is going to get used all over the place by Tony LaRussa, having someone you can plug and play at 2B who hits better than Romy Gonzalez or Danny Mendick definitely improves the team.  

And Harrison isn't always bad.  He was above league average last year with the Nats, and higher than Garcia.  Plus, he can be a LIDP for Jimenez in left field, or for Sheets/Vaughn in RF.  Of course Engel is better, but Engel may not always be available.  As the 9th place hitter, what do you really want?  

Would Nick Madrigal be better and cheaper?  Sure.  Would he stay healthier?  Maybe, maybe not.  But that ship has sailed. 

Plus, even if the Sox find a better 2B, Harrison is a lot like Garcia being able to play multiple positions. Leury also covers SS and CF, so he's better.  But having a guy like that has value because you still have flexibility if one of them is out.  

Harrison to me is not someone to get excited about, but he still strengthens the team. 

38 minutes ago, VAfan said:

James Fegan of the Athletic likely put this best when he said it raises the floor for the White Sox at 2B, even if it doesn't raise the ceiling.

Since Leury Garcia is going to get used all over the place by Tony LaRussa, having someone you can plug and play at 2B who hits better than Romy Gonzalez or Danny Mendick definitely improves the team.  

And Harrison isn't always bad.  He was above league average last year with the Nats, and higher than Garcia.  Plus, he can be a LIDP for Jimenez in left field, or for Sheets/Vaughn in RF.  Of course Engel is better, but Engel may not always be available.  As the 9th place hitter, what do you really want?  

Would Nick Madrigal be better and cheaper?  Sure.  Would he stay healthier?  Maybe, maybe not.  But that ship has sailed. 

Plus, even if the Sox find a better 2B, Harrison is a lot like Garcia being able to play multiple positions. Leury also covers SS and CF, so he's better.  But having a guy like that has value because you still have flexibility if one of them is out.  

Harrison to me is not someone to get excited about, but he still strengthens the team. 

Sure, Mendick's OPS is like .580 and Romy basically has no MLB experience. So yes, our floor was raised. 

But if Harrison's A's numbers ends up being his White Sox production over 60 games, do you think it's a good signing? 

I always think the Sox are going all in. Going to shock us with something big. for some reason my brain takes a little longer to catch up, and realize, they are content as is and they will fail to even get an Escobar or McNeil . They will take a bargain, but they aren't going out on a limb.

1 hour ago, VAfan said:

For the 9th place hitter I would have wanted Eduardo Escobar.  And guess what Merk, we could have afforded him if we didn’t sign Leury & Harrison and instead used Romy as our utility guy.  But glad we have all these below average hitters that are versatile that Tony will need to overplay in order to keep them game ready.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Greg Hibbard said:

This move bewilders me, but it's also so typically White Sox. Get a guy who seems somewhat good enough to plug a hole that seems just insignificant enough to gloss over

Can't wait for October when people chirp "well, what did you EXPECT from Harrison?" 

It's so infuriating, I'd rather just go with Leury and any prospect with decent upside 

Why is Hahn still the GM if KW is making all the bad moves and TLR has increasing say?  Wouldn’t other organizations recognize his hidden/untapped brilliance and outbid the White Sox for his services?

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, Greg Hibbard said:

If Kenny was really still involved, we would have seen a swing for the fences type of trade made a long time ago.  He would have gone out and gotten a #1 pitcher or a star OF, or something like that.  Love him or hate him, but the dude swung for the fences when he thought he could win.  At these moments, I kinda miss Kenny's style.