Vaughn has a hip pointer injury, out 1-2 weeks

Sleepy Harold

7 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

Why hurt yourself in a regular season game.

Don't you start talking positive about the Sox. You will he labeled as a a person to carry their water or be mocked as a person who just doesn't see reality.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

Great news. Best case scenario. 

Nah, the best case scenario would be for RH to go in front of the media and say something like:

"We believe in Andrew and his talent and potential. But, we've asked him to do something that isn't really fair to him, which is  for him to play a position for which he really isn't ideally suited.

After talking it over with Kenny, Jerry, and Tony, we've decided to announce the signing of Michael Conforto to be our everyday Right Fielder.

Andrew, and some of the other younger guys will STILL have a role for us, as we pursue a World Series title. But, we've decided to give them the time and space to become everything they can, so that they can be everything we've planned them to be...."

• Like 4

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

Talking positively? A hypothetical situation of losing our CF?

Here's the thing, when Vaughn plays 1B, he dives for balls. Diving on grass, especially the grass in a major league park if you walk on it, is a lot softer than diving on the dirt. 

Whether he should play RF is a good question, I just think the injury wasn't based on his inexperience as much as it was just unlucky. Looks like they dodged a bullet.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

Here's the thing, when Vaughn plays 1B, he dives for balls. Diving on grass, especially the grass in a major league park if you walk on it, is a lot softer than diving on the dirt. 

Whether he should play RF is a good question, I just think the injury wasn't based on his inexperience as much as it was just unlucky. Looks like they dodged a bullet.

Oh I know it wasn’t because of inexperience. I’ve just been saying for months they should get a real RF and I’ll keep saying it until they do.

Edited by Bob Sacamano

1 minute ago, Dick Allen said:

I do agree with this.  Shit happens.  Doesn't change the fact than an OF of Robert flanked by Eloy and Vaughn is comically bad defensively though and is begging for trouble in multiple ways. 

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Huh? In a Spring Training game, I don’t think anyone would care haha

If you're not giving 110% in Spring Training, how can I trust you to give 120% in the regular season, and 135% in the post season??

54 minutes ago, Dick Allen said:

It would be funny to see the reaction in a gamethread if Robert was running after a ball, looked like he had a decent shot, but pulled up so he wouldn't get hurt. I doubt it would be positive.

You don’t have to pull up to not dive. He could just run as fast as he can all the way through the play. He could decelerate after the ball drops if he doesn’t catch it.

Infielders do it every day on balls just out of their reach. They don’t pull up, but they don’t dive either.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

19 minutes ago, Jack Parkman said:

Shouldn't this be merged with the other injury thread? 

Why have two competing threads? 

It’s Spring Training for Sox Talkers, too. This is the B game. Just get some reps in here and move to the other thread when you’re ready.

Edited by Middle Buffalo

Nothing should change off this.

Luis Robert and Nick Madrigal got hurt running to first base.  Engel got hurt trying to run to catch a ball.

This has nothing to do with the makeup of the team.

If you bring in an outfielder, you are just benching Sheets or Vaughn when Grandal DHs.  Yet that outfielder probably wont hit as well as a platoon of that combo.  Plus, at what price?  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Middle Buffalo said:

Anyone playing the outfield is always going to have plays where the ball is just a little out of reach. No matter how fast they are. Vaughn getting injured diving could happen to any of these guys traveling at a full sprint and diving. He’s a pretty sure handed fielder and he takes good routes to the ball. He’s just slow. 
For Adam Engel, this is a catch on the run. For Vaughn, it is not. The question is if diving is ever really worth it. It is certainly not in ST. It may be a business decision these guys have to make during the regular season.

I definitely have to agree with this. I got in a lot of heated arguments about Vaughn playing the OF. I didn't like it because I didn't think he was suited for it because of his lack of speed.

So many said and now still say he's above average in LF which may be true and wanted Eloy moved to DH and Vaughn in LF. Now all of a sudden he gets hurt playing the OF and there is all this outrage about it. He would be diving for balls if he plays RF or LF like any other OF does.

All anyone cared about was getting Vaughn in the lineup every day last year and this year. Only when he started playing RF last year did some people start to speak up about his defense. Yes RF is a harder position to play but being unable to get to balls faster OFers could get to has the same built in problems in LF as well.

If anyone was fine with Vaughn in LF how is him in RF any different ? Any OFer is going to dive to make plays no matter where you play. The faster ones make the routine and somewhat difficult catches more often than Vaughn would but they also can get to and dive for balls that Vaughn wouldn't (Buxton for example ) and would just stay upright and chase down and pick up. The crux of the matter is better defense, not that Vaughn got injured diving because he's a 1st baseman playing the OF.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dick Allen said:

If you recall in spring training 2005, it was thought Buehrle broke his foot and was going to miss significant time. Another exam, however, revealed he was fine, and he won on Opening Day 1-0. Perhaps the luck has returned.

Oooh good call. I had not memory-holed this as a 2005 thing. 

1 hour ago, flavum said:

No. He’s a first baseman you can put in LF and tell him not to dive until Abreu is gone. Eloy should be the full time DH. And the Sox should still sign Conforto.

How you can make this statement is beyond me and actually have people thinking it's a great Idea ! It's so simple !

How on earth do you tell a baseball player not to dive ? Every position on the field requires you to dive. Buxton gets hurt all the time. Do you think the Twins tell him not to dive ? Hi Andrew can you please never dive again on balls to your left, ball to your right and balls in front of you ? Please Andrew just give less than 100%, no one will mind at all. We don't actually care if it costs us games or the pitchers or fans think you are dogging it or get angry about it. By the way if we make it to the playoffs or World Series you can't dive in those games either ! Oh one more thing you also cannot ever lose your balance and fall down either. You must remind upright at all costs.

• Like 2
  • Love 1