Moncada IL, Burger up; Burr IL, Foster up

CentralChamps21

So let me see if I’ve got this right… Moncada has a minor injury and says he’s willing to try and play through it… team shuts him down for a really small amount of time.

Some people then claim he’s lazy, a showboat, and will now lose his spot as a starter.

Am I missing anything here?

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, hi8is said:

So let me see if I’ve got this right… Moncada has a minor injury and says he’s willing to try and play through it… team shuts him down for a really small amount of time.

Some people then claim he’s lazy, a showboat, and will now lose his spot as a starter.

Am I missing anything here?

I think that just about covers it. 

• Like 3

29 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

I think that just about covers it. 

Well allllllrighty then. I’ve got a feeling it’s gonna be a long season and that many new Soxtalk Hall of Fame list additions will be made.

17 minutes ago, hi8is said:

Well allllllrighty then. I’ve got a feeling it’s gonna be a long season and that many new Soxtalk Hall of Fame list additions will be made.

No game today so the game thread had to go somewhere.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, vilehoopster said:

Put me as someone else who agrees with this take. Not sure if he’s better or not than Moncada. But the first two steps to being successful are 1. Showing up and 2. Trying your best. For Moncada, that’s zero for two. 

I’m tired of his shit. Go Burger!

9 hours ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

Yoan plays more games than anyone not named Abreu on this team damn near every year. 149, 132, 52 of 60, 144.

This narrative that Yoan is always hurt, when guys like Anderson, Robert and Eloy are hurt way more often is another odd one.

8 hours ago, mqr said:

The guy has never played less than 80% of the available games in a given year!!!!! 

stop with this!

I mean all you have to do is read the damned thread to see you are wrong.  Even better is slamming Yoans health for a dude who missed 3 YEARS  of baseball due to injuries. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

Put me as someone else who agrees with this take. Not sure if he’s better or not than Moncada. But the first two steps to being successful are 1. Showing up and 2. Trying your best. For Moncada, that’s zero for two. 

Burger missed 3 years lmao

4 hours ago, vilehoopster said:

GAMES PLAYED LAST 3 YEARS, % of possible games 162+60+162= 384:

Abreu: 159/60/152 = 371 (96%)

Moncada: 132/52/144 = 328 (85%)

Anderson: 123/49/123 = 295 (76%)

Grandal: 153-mke/46/93 = 295 (76%)

Garcia: 140/16/126 = 282 (73%) --included Leury for "sh*ts and giggles"

So I guess when we dump Moncada for not being reliable enough, Anderson also needs to go as he "showed up" less than Moncada each and every year.  /s

• Like 1

Burger can hit but, IMO,  he doe not have the footwork nd balance to play  third  on a regular basis. Having said that, that I think Jake will be fine for a few weeks until Yoan returns. Great opportunity for Burger though and it is exciting to see him get it.

I hope Moncada returns soon  though because we need his D and his LH bat.

Edited by tray

5 hours ago, tray said:

Burger can hit but, IMO,  he doe not have the footwork nd balance to play  third  on a regular basis. Having said that, that I think Jake will be fine for a few weeks until Yoan returns. Great opportunity for Burger though and it is exciting to see him get it.

I hope Moncada returns soon  though because we need his D and his LH bat.

Yoan is just about the best defender at 3B in the league. Jake will be a good 3B as well. He'll be fine at 1st or LF too.

11 hours ago, DirtySox said:

It's 100% sarcasm. And he's spot on with it.

It's opening up a can or worms that shouldn't be opened unless you want the thread to explode . Oh no Jake Burger is white and I am white that must be why I like him. I must hate Yoan because he is Latin. Woe is me, I am so ashamed of myself. Was that the purpose of it ?

40 minutes ago, zisk said:

Yoan is just about the best defender at 3B in the league. Jake will be a good 3B as well. He'll be fine at 1st or LF too.

Burger is not going to be an outfielder…can we please just let him have one full healthy season at 3B, please?

Even watching him at second is a bit reminiscent of Mark Teahen.

8 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

It's opening up a can or worms that shouldn't be opened unless you want the thread to explode . Oh no Jake Burger is white and I am white that must be why I like him. I must hate Yoan because he is Latin. Woe is me, I am so ashamed of myself. Was that the purpose of it ?

You forgot the part about playing the same RPG e-sports as Jake.

Perhaps the ONLY thing the White Sox have done extremely well is opening up so many opportunities for Latin Americans on the playing field, Asians and African-Americans in the front office and among the coaching ranks…and loyalty to a number of ex players as well.

This trope about Latin players being too lazy/nonchalant has been around since Clemente.

It’s one of those things, like grindy overachieving players in baseball and heady gym rat point guards/coaches’ kids have to be white 98.9% of the time.

Tiresome.

Edited by caulfield12
  • Like 1

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Perhaps the ONLY thing the White Sox have done extremely well is opening up so many opportunities for Latin Americans on the playing field, in the front office and among the coaching ranks…and loyalty to a number of ex players as well.

This trope about Latin players being too lazy/nonchalant has been around since Clemente.

It’s one of those things, like grindy overachieving players in baseball and heady gym rat point guards/coaches’ kids have to be white 98.9% of the time.

Tiresome.

I'm just asking " Is race shaming allowed on here now ?" Legit question .

13 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I'm just asking " Is race shaming allowed on here now ?" Legit question .

I got pretty much universally slammed for writing Indians instead of Guardians…but that particular comment about Burger vs. Moncada is actually getting likes and laugh emojis on the previous page of the thread.

Which seems like some are condoning it, or laughing it off as sarcasm.

But then, every comment can be brushed aside with a similar rationalization.  I would assert with 95% confidence it’s someone who was previously banned and has come back with a new screen name.

Even all that prejudice about lighter skin tones being more “palatable” to women…just not even sure what to say anymore.  

Edited by caulfield12

4 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

I got pretty much universally slammed for writing Indians instead of Guardians…but that particular comment about Burger vs. Moncada is actually getting likes and laugh emojis on the previous page of the thread.

Which seems like some are condoning it, or laughing it off as sarcasm.

But then, every comment can be brushed aside with a similar rationalization.  I would assert with 95% confidence it’s someone who was previously banned and has come back with a new screen name.

Even all that prejudice about lighter skin tones being more “palatable” to women…just not even sure what to say anymore.  

I've said bad things about Yoan but USUALLY it's because of his slugging percentage. I've also stuck up for him when people call him soft. But to imply people are saying nice things about Burger and saying bad things about Yoan is racist when I didn't see a single comment that was racist in nature isn't right. It's opening damn day can we please just keep it about baseball. Rooting for people to succeed or liking them and then trying to shame them about it should not be allowed because we have no idea what motivates that admiration or dislike.

34 minutes ago, CaliSoxFanViaSWside said:

I've said bad things about Yoan but USUALLY it's because of his slugging percentage. I've also stuck up for him when people call him soft. But to imply people are saying nice things about Burger and saying bad things about Yoan is racist when I didn't see a single comment that was racist in nature isn't right. It's opening damn day can we please just keep it about baseball. Rooting for people to succeed or liking them and then trying to shame them about it should not be allowed because we have no idea what motivates that admiration or dislike.

If the White Sox simply play like they’re expected to, all these distractions/controversies will go away.  Except about TLR’s lineup construction…

14 hours ago, southsider2k5 said:

Look, I am a huge Jake Burger fan, and really want to see him do great things, but some of yall need to quit day drinking. 

I know that it would not mean anything in the long run, but I'd be happy to take a Matt Davidson in Kansas City like series from Jake this weekend in Detroit to start the season.....and some decent starting pitching.

• Like 1