2023-24 NFL Season Thread

1 hour ago, ptatc said:

This is by design. They had so many issues they couldn't fix all in one off season. They added to the linebackers and drafted for the secondary and dline. Anyone who thought the Bears were going to be good this year was fooling themselves. Next year with 2 high first round picks they either take a QB (if and when Fields doesn't pan out) or the best pass rusher.

Yea, wanting this team to win games this year is terrible for the rebuild.  You want good performance from key pieces however.  I just wanted them to beat the Packers twice and lose every other game.  Not getting blown out, but close games.  Well now they can just lose out and finish the holes with the high draft picks next year.  Let's see if Fields continues to be Trubisky

So my overreaction Monday is - I didn’t think Fields looked awful in first half. I thought he missed some plays and things were too conservative but I thought they moved it ok and he was pretty accurate. I actually even liked that he had some good check downs. 

2nd half the defense was getting destroyed and oline was bad and Fields looked like a deer in the head light but maybe that happened cause he was getting mauled every play and it’s just human nature to do that. 

That is the only real excuse I can make for the offense. We know Lucas Patrick sucks and I am convinced Davis is pure garbage (what an awful moved by Poles - dude clearly wants nothing to do with the Bears). Whitehair is not what he once was and even than he was overvalued by Pace (pace gave him that extension). 

Defensively - I am far less worried, other than I think Williams is not good dc. I do expect they will have trouble generating a pass rush - but I also expected communication issues from this d. Lots of new players, lots of young players, and a ton of various injuries during training camp was like a trifecta of things that would lead to the type of miscues and breakdowns they saw. 

11 hours ago, Chisoxfn said:

So my overreaction Monday is - I didn’t think Fields looked awful in first half. I thought he missed some plays and things were too conservative but I thought they moved it ok and he was pretty accurate. I actually even liked that he had some good check downs. 

2nd half the defense was getting destroyed and oline was bad and Fields looked like a deer in the head light but maybe that happened cause he was getting mauled every play and it’s just human nature to do that. 

That is the only real excuse I can make for the offense. We know Lucas Patrick sucks and I am convinced Davis is pure garbage (what an awful moved by Poles - dude clearly wants nothing to do with the Bears). Whitehair is not what he once was and even than he was overvalued by Pace (pace gave him that extension). 

Defensively - I am far less worried, other than I think Williams is not good dc. I do expect they will have trouble generating a pass rush - but I also expected communication issues from this d. Lots of new players, lots of young players, and a ton of various injuries during training camp was like a trifecta of things that would lead to the type of miscues and breakdowns they saw. 

I agree on first half. Problem was second half something we've seen a lot with fields, where he seems to get mopey and down when things aren't going well that leads to huge clunkers like the end of detroit last year, or the houston game.

On 9/11/2023 at 3:16 PM, bmags said:

Taking 5 years to rebuild is really only the expectation in chicago. Being the worst pass rush in 2 years is not "by design" for any defense.

Not necessarily the pass rush but the line. They didn't make any real improvements other than 2 raw draft picks until they picked up Ngakoue. They did not plan on being very good because they didnt allocate all of the resources there. I'm sure they didn't plan on it being that bad but they knew it wasn't going to be good. 

It isn't a 5 year plan probably 3 with more assets allocated to the dline next year with a high draft pick. Although if Fields isn't the answer it may change. 

7 minutes ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

This seems like it's about to go down the Emery/Trestman 2014 path of the coach and GM getting fired very quickly

I hate the Bears as much as I like them, but what were people expecting to happen in one offseason? They were the worst team in football last year.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

I hate the Bears as much as I like them, but what were people expecting to happen in one offseason? They were the worst team in football last year.

I think there was a genuine expectation that they would perform better than that game. It sure sounded like it over the offseason, they spent a lot of money, they brought in a lot of players, they didn't expect to be the worst team in football any more. They might not have won, but at least that they wanted to be competitive. They weren't, not remotely. They were hoping for the team to be overall better on both sides of the ball, and they weren't. 

They are still a young team so it's entirely possible that they could get better over the course of the year, however, I don't think it's ridiculous at all to have wanted and to have expected a better week 1 performance, by a long shot. 

14 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

I think there was a genuine expectation that they would perform better than that game. It sure sounded like it over the offseason, they spent a lot of money, they brought in a lot of players, they didn't expect to be the worst team in football any more. They might not have won, but at least that they wanted to be competitive. They weren't, not remotely. They were hoping for the team to be overall better on both sides of the ball, and they weren't. 

They are still a young team so it's entirely possible that they could get better over the course of the year, however, I don't think it's ridiculous at all to have wanted and to have expected a better week 1 performance, by a long shot. 

If people have been fans of Chicago sports for any amount of time, they should know to expect disappointment. Not sure why it doesn’t sink in with the majority of fans.

13 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

If people have been fans of Chicago sports for any amount of time, they should know to expect disappointment. Not sure why it doesn’t sink in with the majority of fans.

I just kind of find that quitter mindset something I don’t want to be a part of.  I recognize they aren’t winning the Super Bowl any time soon but that effort sucked

13 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

I guess I don't even get the point of watching or following the team with that mindset.

For me, it's more passive. Chicago sports is about not expecting success rather than actively expecting disappointment.

27 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

I just kind of find that quitter mindset something I don’t want to be a part of.  I recognize they aren’t winning the Super Bowl any time soon but that effort sucked

14 minutes ago, Snopek said:

I guess I don't even get the point of watching or following the team with that mindset.

For me, it's more passive. Chicago sports is about not expecting success rather than actively expecting disappointment.

For me, it’s more of an excuse to go out. I get my enjoyment at laughing at the ways they find to lose.

4 hours ago, Milkman delivers said:

Don't get me wrong, I thought if they win 7-8 games this year it is a massive step forward. 

To me, it seems like the players don't respect the coaches due to both personality and competence and the GM is in over his head and is too inexperienced for the job. 

1 hour ago, baseball_gal_aly said:

Don't get me wrong, I thought if they win 7-8 games this year it is a massive step forward. 

To me, it seems like the players don't respect the coaches due to both personality and competence and the GM is in over his head and is too inexperienced for the job. 

You’re probably right. It was annoying listening to local sports radio constantly give Eberflus and Poles handjobs over the off-season. Everything was about how stern and respected Eberflus is, and Poles was a shrewd genius getting over on the other GMs. My expectations were for the same amount of wins you mentioned, but a couple of quarters dispelled those and now I’m uninterested for the remainder of the season.

If ownership is angry after one week that is bad. It is still one week. Now If Flus has no respect - that is an issue, but they need to have a calming presence. Clearly it seems like they were completely shocked at what happened but come on - figure it out. 

Defense was miscommunication city - offense had real poor line play and a qb who was seeing ghosts / succumbing to pressure.