2023-24 NFL Season Thread

4 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You tell me what does it take for you to do it? If they offered 3 firsts and 3 seconds do you take it before they change their mind? If they call you the day before the draft and offer you 4 and 3 so you turn them down?

The press mentioned insane prices for that pick. What type of insanity would make you say yes?

I don’t know how you could pass up on four 1sts and three 2nds if one of them is the 1.03 and you can still land MHJ.  Even if you’re not 100% certain about Fields, you’d have so much future draft capital that you find a QB in other ways.  I just don’t think there any chance you are getting that much to move up two spots.

Edited by Chicago White Sox
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Chicago White Sox said:

I don’t know how you could pass up on four 1sts and three 2nds if one of them is the 1.03 and you can still land MHJ.  Even if you’re not 100% certain about Fields, you’d have so much future draft capital that you find a QB in other ways.  I just don’t think there any chance you are getting that much to move up two spots.

I don’t imagine they would either but the QB options this year outside the draft look really bad. 

Ironically, because Fields was so disappointing on Sunday, I think the consensus now is the Bears are taking the QB unless totally overwhelmed by an offer I think its probably worth pondering what it would take to be overwhelmed rather than whelmed.

The QB options this year probably set the Bears up pretty well to get a 2nd or maybe a conditional pick for Fields too.

28 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Thats fine, they have Mac Jones for another year. Ready to go with him? Or sign baker to a multi year deal? Sam Howell? Trade for Fields? Trade for Wilson and that contract?

I think the Patriots either take a QB at #3 or try to trade down slightly for more picks and still take a QB with their highest pick.  The Patriots have never been afraid to draft a diamond in the rough QB later in the draft, rather than the more obvious big names early.

Edited by WhiteSox2023

Outside of Washington and Chicago, Atlanta, New England, Las Vegas, Tampa Bay, Denver, Minnesota, Pittsburgh all need starters, and Cleveland, NYG, Ind, Tennessee, NYJ, NOLA all need quality backups. There’s a lot of QB demand right now.

5 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

Outside of Washington and Chicago, Atlanta, New England, Las Vegas, Tampa Bay, Denver, Minnesota, Pittsburgh all need starters, and Cleveland, NYG, Ind, Tennessee, NYJ, NOLA all need quality backups. There’s a lot of QB demand right now.

I think the Vikings bring back Cousins, but your list makes sense.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39266834/kirk-cousins-hopes-stay-vikings-structure-most-important

6 minutes ago, WhiteSox2023 said:

I think the Vikings bring back Cousins, but your list makes sense.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/39266834/kirk-cousins-hopes-stay-vikings-structure-most-important

Id assume Flacco re-Signs with Cleveland also, but there’s a ton of QB demand out there right now. No idea what teams will do this offseason.

Penix got spooked by pressure. Missed a lot of open throws he would have made last week against basically no pressure.

With his mobility being an issue and him being a 6th year player, this is gonna decrease his draft stock by a lot.

PFF had him mocked 8th to Atlanta in their latest mock. Safe to say that's not gonna happen.

Edited by chw42

4 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Penix got spooked by pressure. Missed a lot of open throws he would have made last week against basically no pressure.

With his mobility being an issue and him being a 6th year player, this is gonna decrease his draft stock by a lot.

PFF had him mocked 8th to Atlanta in their latest mock. Safe to say that's not gonna happen.

Agreed, I wouldn’t be surprised if Atlanta would rather trade for Fields and try to be competitive immediately, rather than wait for a rookie QB to develop.

59 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

You tell me what does it take for you to do it? If they offered 3 firsts and 3 seconds do you take it before they change their mind? If they call you the day before the draft and offer you 4 and 3 so you turn them down?

The press mentioned insane prices for that pick. What type of insanity would make you say yes?

Yes I say the 3 and 3 pushes me over the top. I can still take another qb. I don’t think they offer that much. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, caulfield12 said:

Now where does Harbaugh go?

Would be shocking to see him stay at this point.

Just turn the team over to Wright.

Yeah sounds like he's gone. McCarthy said this is the last time they'll play together. He hasn't declared for the draft yet...

Williams coming off LAST season might have attracted those offers, but some of his warts/concerns/issues have now been exposed.

That said, the Riley brand is still healthy with Baker Mayfield returning to viability and Murray showing his flashes at the end of the season.  Hurts is another issue with the collapse across the board of Philly.

It's just that Caleb Williams was head and shoulders #1 coming out of high school and now Maye and Daniels have almost caught up with him on draft boards. 

Zero discussion who would have been #1 in 2023...well, maybe the biggest concern was how Utah was able to contain him (relatively speaking) twice last year with inferior talent.  Part of that was obviously on the atrocious USC defense, as well.

Edited by caulfield12

1 hour ago, The Beast said:

I saw several times yesterday where Fields had no chance and would have been throwing it out of bounds or getting called for intentional grounding.

Even if Maye or Williams is selected that high?

That is one argument. I don’t think I’m arguing for a specific system as much as I am wanting a different OC, another left tackle and a stud WR to go with Fields.

For my question, it's for anyone. A true franchise QB should make that big leap like hurts and Allan did no later than year 2 and 3. There is some acclimation to the NFL game. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Balta1701 said:

Thought experiment.

I believe after yesterday most are ok with the QB draft:

For those who are fully convinced, is there a price you still make the trade? The Pats offer 3 firsts and 3 seconds, so you still draft Williams? 4 firsts?

We'll yeah, they should take that but it's probably not realistic to move up from 3.

If I was GM…

Okay this is Bagent Town for the next 15 years.  He’s honestly played the best, most exciting Bears quarterback I’ve ever seen.  He moved defenders with his eyes and played the real game.  I’ve never seen a Bears QB ever do that and I started watching during the Kramer years.  

If we roll with Bagent I think Poles needs to upgrade 3 lineman.  Tev & Darnell lock up the right side for the next decade.  Braxton first sub at tackle.  Davis first sub at guard.  Those guys aren’t starters just move on.  Tev & Wright together was wrecking; I feel like we all liked that as fans and questioned the switch back.  Davis ego?  Whatever.  

Trade down as low as you can to still get Olu for LT, lock in future firsts and grab an established stud just like last year.  I think Briggs & AB are right to get that guy and forget about it for the next decade.  

Trade Justin for maybe a 2nd and that’s where you get a risky ceiling guy like Xavier Leggett for Tyson to throw to.

Not sure what you do at 9.  Maybe trade down some to grab more 2nds and draft your LG?

I’d be stoked with this but that’s cuz I believe in Bagent.  If you hate Bagent you probably hate this post and want to flush it down the toilet 😂

• Haha 3

9 minutes ago, chw42 said:

Yeah sounds like he's gone. McCarthy said this is the last time they'll play together. He hasn't declared for the draft yet...

From what I heard, he said he couldn’t play with his teammates again (since some are leaving).  I do think Harbaugh goes to Chargers.

2 hours ago, Quin said:

This is why the whole thing gets fun, because then you have tweets like this:

This is probably a guy who complained they didn't throw the ball down field enough earlier. 

15 minutes ago, caulfield12 said:

Now where does Harbaugh go?

Would be shocking to see him stay at this point.

Just turn the team over to Wright.

Just as with most reports, I think it's the chargers where he can run the show. 

I don't think Poles will give up power in Chicago. 

2 hours ago, JUSTgottaBELIEVE said:

Is the Bears OL really that bad or does Fields’ style of play make them look much worse than they are? I’m in the camp of the latter but that’s just me.

Meh, that's totally out of context. GB does a lot of quick hitters and slants so when you average it out, it looks like Love gets rid of the ball quickly all the time but if you saw the game, he had plenty of time and had a nice pocket of protection to pick apart the Bears secondary. OTOH, Fields was running around trying to get away from defenders, does Fields tend to hold on to the ball too long? Yeah, but that really wasn't the overall case yesterday, defenders were in his face and WRs weren't open. The whole team played poorly yesterday, not just Fields.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ptatc said:

Just as with most reports, I think it's the chargers where he can run the show. 

I don't think Poles will give up power in Chicago. 

I may eat my shorts - but their ownership is a laughing stock of laughing stocks. Makes McCaskey look like Kraft family. I really don’t see him working with that ownership group. They meddle and are cheap asses. 

Might be a total disaster, but the Bears could be the most watched/interesting team in the league next year with Harbaugh/Williams. And if the Bears want to do it, they can..will only cost money. 

• Like 1