The Pedro Hire

Tomtom

1 minute ago, caulfield12 said:

I can go back and compare their average number of games played during their Sox careers very easily to Moncada Anderson Robert Jimenez etc. 

Same with Abreu and Jim Thome. 

Please do 

Crede 144 

Carlos 120

Konerko 146

Dye 145

Thome 141

Uribe 134

Moncada 132-134 GP/season  if prorated 2020

9/16 played this year

Luis Robert  106 GP with 2020 prorated

Jimenez   103 GP per season/2020 prorated

Anderson 125-126 gp    11/16 this year   didn't count rookie year

• Thanks 2

13 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

Quentin Dye Thome AJ Everett Uribe Crede Rowand etc. 

Those players loved to play hard and almost never sat unless they had no other alternative. 

Different breed of ballplayers back then. 

Putting Mr ‘I broke my hand punching my bat and was never the same player again’ first on your list just proves how completely full of s%*# you are.  None of this is relevant to today either way.  But Carlos Quentin could never stay healthy, and his one healthy season ended with the dumbest hand/wrist injury imaginable.  Disconnect your keyboard already…

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The iron men averaging 130 lol

Also love the romantic reimagining of these players all as indispensable parts of the last 20 years like this site didn’t have member names like “CredePopsItUp” or nicknames like GiDPauly, or how mad this entire site was at Quentin when he broke his wrist punching a locker 

• Like 1

it would have been great if all the sox ills could have been rectified with one kick-ass spring training. probably not very realistic, though. the problems we saw last year are still the problems the team has, because the org didn't change very much from a player perspective.

none of that means this can't look better at some point. if this is what we get all year then you probably have to question the hire. 

7 hours ago, Chimpton said:

Pedro is only 16 games into his managerial career and whilst he has made some decisions that have turned out wrong it is a bit early to write him off completely.

His potential over-use of starters may say more about his lack of confidence in the bullpen, and when choosing relievers he is pretty limited when so many of them seem to be pitching badly. Maybe he has used Diekman too much but he hardly has any in form alternatives, Bummer is giving away games, Lopez has blown games and Graveman has been equally bad, and they are the 3 'best' relievers we have fit and well.

The offense is looking potentially better than last season but once again injuries are depriving the team of some of its better hitters and the replacements are, with the exception of Burger, pretty poor. We all knew there were holes all over the line up even with a healthy team, but when you remove so many of the round pegs you are bound to end up with square pegs for round holes.

Pedro might turn out to be an below average manager or an above average manager but with this squad the chance of him showing his true abilities are severely limited by the squad Hahn and co have botched together.

A very sound post . You seemed to have learned a lot about baseball or actually apply life lessons and common sense to this subject.

Winning and losing colors our perspective on managerial performance. No one here is out there making a list of his alleged mistakes siting score, situation,BP usage etc. Every Day correct decisions are easily discarded but bad play by at the wrong time by the wrong player is magnified tenfold.

It's like half the responses to Sheets starting in LF questioned that decision but Sheets drives in. 3 runs and has 2 hits. If he goes 0-4 and makes an error leading to runs scored he's an idiot. Sox win he's a genius. You call out these fans for not thinking beyond the end of their noses and you're a smug know it all. You make some predictions to back up your supposed smugness which no one else would ever do. Your prediction comes through 100 % and you are an even bigger dick if you point this out because you are tooting your own horn but God forbid you make a post singling out all the people who were wrong if they were the ones making that managerial decision. No one likes being wrong. No one likes if you point out that there are legit reasons these decisions are made because teams have all kinds of info fans don't. 

That's not to say some managerial decisions  aren't mind boggling but most of the minds can't see beyond their own frustration and need to place blame on the most convenient target.

Yes Grifol didn't come from a great organization. Yes that same organization that people are putting down as a loser organization suddenly must have made a winning choice by not hiring Grifol.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Can someone explain to me how joe crede averaged 144 games a year in a Sox jersey.  The math isn’t mathing for me.  Maybe if I were to remove the first three seasons when he was up and down, and removed the final two seasons when he was -INJURED AND MISSING 115 AND 65 GAMES- it would average to 144

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Can someone explain to me how joe crede averaged 144 games a year in a Sox jersey.  The math isn’t mathing for me.  Maybe if I were to remove the first three seasons when he was up and down, and removed the final two seasons when he was -INJURED AND MISSING 115 AND 65 GAMES- it would average to 144

Crede year-by-year:

2000: 7
2001: 17
2002: 53 
2003: 151
2004: 144
2005: 132
2006: 150
2007: 47
2008: 97

Let's remove the first three up and down years for obvious reasons, like you said.

721 games over 6 seasons = 120 games per season.

Yoan Moncada

2017: 54 games
2018: 149
2019: 132
2020: 52
2021: 144
2022: 104

Remove the first one for the same reason as Crede. Let's remove 2020 for clear reasons.

529 games over 4 seasons = 132 games per season.

If you want to prorate the 2020 season, (162 / 60 = 2.7), Moncada's average actually jumps to 133, so basically the same.

Different breed Moncada that never sits unless he has to according to Caulfield. He's got that dawg in him.

• Like 2
  • Love 1

14 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

The math will only make sense to 1 guy, focused on figuring on how to warp every topic into a doomsday scenario.  

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Kyyle23 said:

Yeah, the only way one would arrive at a 144 game average would be if they cherry picked the four years from 2003-2006.  Crede played 798 games over 9 season for the Sox.  I'm not great at math, but that's not even a 90 game average for his Sox career.

47 minutes ago, KipWellsFan said:

Pedro is not the problem.

No, he is not the real problem but he is a symptom of a FO that has no idea how to conduct and run a successful team. The team is run like a fantasy league team with no real thought on the composition of all the parts.

This team has completely lost the swagger and confidence it possessed in 2020 and for most of 2021. Was it the TLR hire? Injuries? Whatever the cause, this team does not expect to win. I am not a bit surprised the most successful position players so far this year are players competing for a slot on the team (Burger, Sheets). The motivation for them is there but for the rest??

This just wasn't a team for a rookie manager with a new team. Sure, Pedro has made his mistakes and could still become a decent manager but again this year, this team looks more prepared to lose than win. You can literally see it in their faces when they are down 0-2 or make an error or walk the leadoff batter... and, yes, I do think the manager has some role in that environment.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

4 minutes ago, soxfaninfl said:

No, he is not the real problem but he is a symptom of a FO that has no idea how to conduct and run a successful team. The team is run like a fantasy league team with no real thought on the composition of all the parts.

This team has completely lost the swagger and confidence it possessed in 2020 and for most of 2021. Was it the TLR hire? Injuries? Whatever the cause, this team does not expect to win. I am not a bit surprised the most successful position players so far this year are players competing for a slot on the team (Burger, Sheets). The motivation for them is there but for the rest??

This just wasn't a team for a rookie manager with a new team. Sure, Pedro has made his mistakes and could still become a decent manager but again this year, this team looks more prepared to lose than win. You can literally see it in their faces when they are down 0-2 or make an error or walk the leadoff batter... and, yes, I do think the manager has some role in that environment.

This post is awesome 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Tnetennba said:

Putting Mr ‘I broke my hand punching my bat and was never the same player again’ first on your list just proves how completely full of s%*# you are.  None of this is relevant to today either way.  But Carlos Quentin could never stay healthy, and his one healthy season ended with the dumbest hand/wrist injury imaginable.  Disconnect your keyboard already…

So he's basically five games off the number of games that TA7 plays per year and well ahead of Jimenez and Robert... okay. 

Similar to Rowand as well....who always hurt himself yet still managed four games per season more than Tim. 

9 hours ago, Chimpton said:

Pedro is only 16 games into his managerial career and whilst he has made some decisions that have turned out wrong it is a bit early to write him off completely.

His potential over-use of starters may say more about his lack of confidence in the bullpen, and when choosing relievers he is pretty limited when so many of them seem to be pitching badly. Maybe he has used Diekman too much but he hardly has any in form alternatives, Bummer is giving away games, Lopez has blown games and Graveman has been equally bad, and they are the 3 'best' relievers we have fit and well.

The offense is looking potentially better than last season but once again injuries are depriving the team of some of its better hitters and the replacements are, with the exception of Burger, pretty poor. We all knew there were holes all over the line up even with a healthy team, but when you remove so many of the round pegs you are bound to end up with square pegs for round holes.

Pedro might turn out to be an below average manager or an above average manager but with this squad the chance of him showing his true abilities are severely limited by the squad Hahn and co have botched together.

Managers are at the mercy of the gm more than ever before. Houdini could not magically cover the last four innings of games with this pen.

• Like 1