Do you still get pleasure out of rooting for a particular sports team?

VAfan

I've been a sports fan nearly all of my life.  I was born in Indiana, but after my mother divorced and remarried, we moved to Evanston where I started school.  

I think the first team I rooted for was the Cubs.  But I gave them up after the 1969 collapse to the Mets and became a White Sox fan in 1970.  My first baseball game was at Wrigley, but I went to many more Sox games.  So for 53 years I have been a Sox fan.

2005 was a magical year for the Sox, and totally unexpected.  I wrote, and have posted the link on Sox Talk, a 17-page tribute to that 2005 Sox team.  There's no question that was an exciting year.  I don't live in the Chicago area anymore, but I sought out Sox fans to watch the World Series together and had a blast. 

In around 1966, I started rooting for the Dallas Cowboys, so I've been a Cowboys fan even longer. And, unlike the Sox, they had tremendous success under Tom Landry.  But that lasted only until 1995 and since then, they haven't even made an NFC Championship game.  Now almost 30 years of falling short. 

I was also once a big NBA fan.  First of the Bulls of the era with Chet Love, before MJ.  Then, after moving to Seattle, of the Supersonics, who won a title in the late 1970s.  

I never got too much into hockey, though I recall listening to the Blackhawks on the radio.  But I never really had a team. 

At some point, I started to break my infatuation with sports teams.

First to go was the NBA, which I stopped liking because the NBA finalists could be easily picked before the season even began.  The Supersonics were no more, and I never picked up another team.  I liked the MJ Bulls, but didn't live in Chicago, so I never got too close.  My mother, on the other hand, was a bit of a fanatic.  I don't remember the year, but it was when Gary Payton and Karl Malone joined the Lakers. That was it for me.

The Dallas Cowboys were next, but the 58 year hold they have had on me isn't easy to break.  Still, I haven't paid any attention to them since they lost again in the playoffs. Will I pick it up again in the fall?  I hope not.  I want to keep my resolve and let them go.

Now it's the Chicago White Sox.  Last year really broke my connection with the team.  And this year?  Well, it's the same old same old. 

What I find is that it's mostly pain and stress to follow a team that isn't doing well.  All you tend to see is the disappointment, mistakes, and failures.  And who needs that in their lives?  

There's really no pleasure in rooting for a particular team any more for me.

And if you can free yourself from that, then it's fine to watch sports for what it is.  Take the concern about the outcome out of the equation and you can see the agony and ecstasy as just part of what makes us human beings.  

So I just thought I would pen this to see if other people are feeling this way.  

And also to strengthen my resolve to be done rooting for any particular teams any more.  I'm too old to want to carry around the stress that comes up from rooting.  The highs no longer come anywhere close to making it worthwhile to stress about the outcome. 

I believe I'll be happier this way.  Anyone else? 

P.S.  The other topic I thought about writing was whether the Sox need to start over again.  But that would just be filled with a lot of angst.  Instead, I'd rather just let go.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

5 minutes ago, VAfan said:

I've been a sports fan nearly all of my life.  I was born in Indiana, but after my mother divorced and remarried, we moved to Evanston where I started school.  

I think the first team I rooted for was the Cubs.  But I gave them up after the 1969 collapse to the Mets and became a White Sox fan in 1970.  My first baseball game was at Wrigley, but I went to many more Sox games.  So for 53 years I have been a Sox fan.

2005 was a magical year for the Sox, and totally unexpected.  I wrote, and have posted the link on Sox Talk, a 17-page tribute to that 2005 Sox team.  There's no question that was an exciting year.  I don't live in the Chicago area anymore, but I sought out Sox fans to watch the World Series together and had a blast. 

In around 1966, I started rooting for the Dallas Cowboys, so I've been a Cowboys fan even longer. And, unlike the Sox, they had tremendous success under Tom Landry.  But that lasted only until 1995 and since then, they haven't even made an NFC Championship game.  Now almost 30 years of falling short. 

I was also once a big NBA fan.  First of the Bulls of the era with Chet Love, before MJ.  Then, after moving to Seattle, of the Supersonics, who won a title in the late 1970s.  

I never got too much into hockey, though I recall listening to the Blackhawks on the radio.  But I never really had a team. 

First to go was the NBA, which I stopped liking because the NBA finalists could be easily picked before the season even began.  The Supersonics were no more, and I never picked up another team.  I liked the MJ Bulls, but didn't live in Chicago, so I never got too close.  My mother, on the other hand, was a bit of a fanatic.  I don't remember the year, but it was when Gary Payton and Karl Malone joined the Lakers. That was it for me.

The Dallas Cowboys were next, but the 58 year hold they have had on me isn't easy to break.  Still, I haven't paid any attention to them since they lost again in the playoffs. Will I pick it up again in the fall?  I hope not.  I want to keep my resolve and let them go.

Now it's the Chicago White Sox.  Last year really broke my connection with the team.  And this year?  Well, it's the same old same old. 

What I find is that it's mostly pain and stress to follow a team that isn't doing well.  All you tend to see is the disappointment, mistakes, and failures.  And who needs that in their lives?  

And if you can free yourself from that, then it's fine to watch sports for what it is.  Take the concern about the outcome out of the equation and you can see the agony and ecstasy as just part of what makes us human beings.  

And also to strengthen my resolve to be done rooting for any particular teams any more.  I'm too old to want to carry around the stress that comes up from rooting.  The highs no longer come anywhere close to making it worthwhile to stress about the outcome. 

P.S.  The other topic I thought about writing was whether the Sox need to start over again.  But that would just be filled with a lot of angst.  Instead, I'd rather just let go.  

I used to get pleasure out of the Cubs misery.  Once they finally won I gave up rooting for or against anybody.

• Like 1

This is my 63rd season as a fan and Sox historian. I must confess and I never thought this would be possible, I used to live and die with every game, being in TV normally I didn't have to get to the office in the morning so I wouldn't go to bed until I knew the final score of every West Coast game...but this organization has so completely destroyed everything that I'm very close to saying the hell with them. If the owner doesn't care about anything but being "fiscally responsible" then why should I?

Even now I'm basically just checking in every so often, reading the box scores, reading the wrap up's, another two weeks and I probably will be down to just looking for the final score.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Love 1

I’m excited about the upcoming Bears season and hopefully the seasons that follow. 

Aside from that, there isn’t much in this city to get excited about, and that’s the problem. The last 5-6 years have been dreadful in this city. Our teams suck. All of them. We’ve forgotten what’s it’s like to have a real shot to win something. 

Once we have that, the feelings will come back. 

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

This is my 63rd season as a fan and Sox historian. I must confess and I never thought this would be possible, I used to live and die with every game, being in TV normally I didn't have to get to the office in the morning so I wouldn't go to bed until I knew the final score of every West Coast game...but this organization has so completely destroyed everything that I'm very close to saying the hell with them. If the owner doesn't care about anything but being "fiscally responsible" then why should I?

Even now I'm basically just checking in every so often, reading the box scores, reading the wrap up's, another two weeks and I probably will be down to just looking for the final score.

The trade deadline with anyone but Hahn making decisions will be the most interesting period of the next 9 months... because Ohtani and FA's aren't happening. 

If anything... Ohtani joins Suzuki on the Cubs if not LAD NYM NYY SD.  That will REALLY suck if the Cubs end up rebuilding in less than three seasons and making the postseason. 

But at least more pressure on Sox to respond... maybe? 

Edited by caulfield12

@VAfan- I think much of your sentiment is just a natural progression of life. You get older, time is more precious / valuable. Players are your kids ages, than your grandchildren's ages.

I'm giving it one more try to be all in with the White Sox after Jerry and Hahn are gone. Would also get back in if baseball returned to Montreal. Gave up the other sports years ago. Still enjoy watching family kids play sports, hopefully future generations of girls will not be subject to what they are going through now.

• Like 3

Hard to love college sports like the past when your team totally changes from year to year. 

Ironic because Caitlin Clark will make millions through NIL staying at Iowa of all places for two more years rather than going to the WNBA. 

That's how bad things are that I have to follow the Padres lol... because USC and UCLA are dooming Iowa in Big Ten West and Oklahoma/TX to SEC is really dooming OU minus a major coaching/recruiting miracle. 

(That said having QB run of Heupel J.White Bradford Mayfield Murray and Hurts pretty special... won't happen in another lifetime.) 

37 minutes ago, VAfan said:

Fair weather fan

• Hawk 1
  • TLR 2

24 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The further you get geographically the further  away you get emotionally.

1 hour ago, VAfan said:

No problem there. You gained a broader perspective on life as well as on sports with age and maturity.  I laugh when I see fans at football games with painted faces slamming their hands against padded walls to beckon their team to get a first down, or the more religious fans and players praying for divine intervention in a games outcome.  Games mean a lot more to younger people who also tend to consider players as heroes rather than as mere human beings. Winning is more fun than losing, but knowing how to deal with losing is part of sports and other ventures in life. It is looking bad for our boys this season so let's just try to enjoy the games and avoid the hand wringing, faux disappointment, and finger pointing. Sox just aren't that good this season. Accept that and enjoy watching anyway.

• Like 2
  • Hawk 1

2 hours ago, soxrwhite said:

The further you get geographically the further  away you get emotionally.

Depends on the person. I think if your fanhood runs deep like me  (4th generation Sox fan) it's different. I've lived in the L.A. area 2/3 of my life but never once thought of changing my allegiance. Roll with the changes or punches. I rationalize my thinking that eventually only 1 team wins it all so every year when you don't it's disappointing and expected so it's never devastating. I don't think as a Sox fan that I "suffer". That's a strong word meant for real tragedy

I had 2005 and the generations before me didn't get to see a World Series winner unless they lived a long life. Glad my Dad got to see a Sox World Series win before his recent departure.

11 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

sure, like the rest of it the living goes on long after the thrill is gone. It can fade into the background for a bit, but if you're a big sports fan some other team will come into the foreground.

Good thread.

Paraphrasing John Cougar Mellencamp. I like it. Jack and Diane would be proud.

• Love 1

Being a fan of the Sox, Bears, Bulls, Blackhawks and University of Illinois has provided very little reason for optimism or enjoyment in the recent past.

I don’t even have expectations of championships for any of them, either. I just want my teams playing meaningful games.

I’d be happy being good enough to make the playoffs in the pro sports. Illinois being in the top 25% of the big 10 in football and basketball would be my goal.

If any of them could sustain success for more than a season or two, I’m sure my expectations would change, but it has rarely happened in my lifetime. 80s Bears, 90s Bulls, 2010s Blackhawks had good runs.

The Hawks were actually good in the 80s and early 90s, but thanks to Dollar Bill, I couldn’t watch them on tv, so they weren’t on my radar as much.

• Like 1

I’ve been a Sox fan since 1952 and because of 42 years under the pathetic ownership of Reinsdorf I’m very close to giving up on the team that has been part of my DNA all these years. So many great memories but a lot more heartache, at 77 years old, I’ve had just a few too many heartaches. My only hope is that JR sells very soon, like maybe tomorrow.

Living in Florida now for 30 years my ties to Chicago are gone so why follow teams from a city that I don’t care for anymore, I still have some love for the Blackhawks but not much, I haven't cared about the Bears and Bulls for decades. I’ve become quite a fan of the Rays and Lightning, these are 2 great franchises especially the Lightning who have the best owner in pro sports, in fact the Lightning was voted the best franchise in pro sports a couple a years ago. The Rays probably have the smartest people in the front office in MLB, what they have done since 2008 with a small payroll is remarkable. So far in 2023 because of the Rays great start this year the vibe in the Sunshine State is the most I’ve ever seen for them, I can tell by the attendance, normally last nights game with Sox would have drawn about 10,000 but 18,000 showed up, their last home stand they drew quite well, not great but for the Rays pretty good. If the Rays keep playing like they have and the Sox continue playing like crap, don’t be surprised if they outdraw the Sox this year.

So back to the Sox, last night was a perfect example of how bad this team is. They had a chance especially with Robert at the plate a couple times to put the game out of reach. You knew somehow, someway the bullpen would blow the game. One thing I’ve noticed is guys like Robert, Vaughn and Eloy is that with their open stances is that they continue to have trouble with balls on the outside corner and have trouble hitting the ball to the opposite field, 4 of our guys last night who have square stances got hits to the opposite field, those being Benintendi, Grandal, Burger and Sosa, why aren’t our guys making adjustments, opposing pitchers keep throwing breaking pitches on the outside corner to Robert and Eloy and all they do is strike out or hit weak grounders, Eloy got a pitch that he could handle and hit it in the seats but the way things are going he won’t get many too many more pitches to hit, just a steady diet of breaking balls low and away. Where and what is the hitting coach doing about this or are especially Robert and Eloy too stubborn to make adjustments. Second base and right field continue to be a problem though it’s too early to say Colas and Sosa aren’t the answer. 
Another thing, IMHO the hiring of TLR was one of the most detrimental events in the history of the franchise, it affected the whole organization from many in the front office to the players and to the fans and threw the rebuild into shambles. The players knew that TLR was past his prime and out of it and just stopped performing to their capabilities after the 2021 All Star game, in one way it doesn’t say much about them as players but we really don’t know what went on behind the scenes. Another thing is some of our guys are plain flawed, some with constant injuries, some are meant to be a DH with no business playing in the field and some that are just not smart ballplayers and 1 or 2 just don’t give a damn.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Hawk 1

I’ve reached the point of wanting this to crash and burn so bad they are forced to make change.  I don’t know how much genuine pleasure there has been watching this team since the Yermin debacle.  Perhaps even since the TLR hire.  I reached this point with the Bulls too during the Butler/Wade/Rondo shitshow.  I was much more live and die emotionally with every win or loss in my younger days, but I’m much more compartmentalised for my own health and sanity these days.  I have no control over what the assholes in charge do, but I can control the amount of energy I expend.  I enjoy the wins, detach after the losses, and try to not let fandom ruin the other pleasures of life.  I will always have an allegiance to the Sox and the Bulls, even if the disdain and hatred outshine any love left at any particular moment.  Knowing that the current manifestation of the org will never win a damned thing helps me stay more even keel with them win or lose.  I still love baseball and enjoy watching good teams play, even if it isn’t the local squad.

• Like 6
  • Fire 1

I like watching the Bears because it’s once a week. Now, they should start being good again. I love the Hawkeyes, even with their warts. I used to be a huge Bulls fan, but now only passive. I wish the Hawks success, but was a pretty casual fan until that sexual harassment thing came out. I hope they get the first pick, but I’m now officially a fan during the playoffs guy. I love the Sox. What’s gone down this season and last is so depressing but easy to predict. They are the one pro team where winning isn’t a requirement for full engagement. If it was for any of us, this site wouldn’t exist. But it is getting harder. I used to never miss a game. If I couldn’t watch it, I’d have it on the radio or keep track through my phone. It was almost a sickness. My wife would be excited for me when the season was going to start, but would quickly get sick of me checking my phone when we would be out for dinner or at a party.Now, many times I don’t bother. Cancelled my season tickets after last season, and any regret I had is lessened by the day. I won’t ever become a passive White Sox fan, and am used to them not being successful, but this is different. The lack of organization wide accountability proves winning isn’t as important to them as it should be. 

• Fire 1

I'll always be a fan and love going to games in person, but I've grown quite disconnected from the viewing angle since the early going of last year. The TLR stuff, injuries, and general vibes from the team/org really sucked the life out of me in that regard and there are other ways I'd rather spend my time. I still follow and watch the minors extremely closely since I'm a nerd in that regard so that's how I get my baseball fix. While the quality of play is obviously lesser, watching guys progress and develop has become a point of enjoyment. Having two young kids helps keep me occupied most nights but has definitely shifted my priorities and perspective surrounding fandom. I guess I finally came to the conclusion that this organization, as currently constructed, is riddled with incompetence, which is seemingly ok with the man in charge, and I'd just rather not spend a lot of time worrying and complaining about stuff beyond my control (outside of a periodic venting session). I love the team and always will, but my unhappiness with ownership/leadership is starting to outpace the love. 

• Like 2

My fav team for many yrs were the Hawks but the NHL hasnt been the same since Bettman took over so I dont follow NHL much. My fav football team are the Vikings who have bee around for what 60 years now with 4 Super Bowl appearances and zero wins, they are becoming the cubs of the NFL. Love them for better or worse, the Sox are my number one. But its time to step back for a while and let them implode

• TLR 1

I still follow all my teams closely although i don't live and die with every game like I used to when I was younger. It can be rough when almost all of them are doing poorly all at the same time and have relatively poor prospects for the future but that's a part of being a fan. 

Anyway I've enjoyed sports very much as an escape and will continue to do so even when the Rollercoaster is on the downswing. 

Go Denver Broncos, Univ of Miami Hurricanes, Pittsburgh Penguins and Chicago White Sox!

Listening to the Blackhawks, on the radio, back in the 60's, when they were at the stadium, was the closest thing to a religious experience for me back then . my catholic grade school didn't do much for me, but hockey did . especially when they won . Bobby Hull was a god to me . I loved sports, and for me, it was hockey, baseball, and football, in that order . my dad only liked the White Sox, and we went to a lot of games, before he died when I was 10 . I don't remember much now, but I do remember punching holes in my bedroom wall because of the bears, back in the early 70's, but I was passionate about all 3 of those teams . now, since my cognitive abilities are waning, I really don't feel much anymore, but I still watch the games.

• Like 2