Burger To Marlins

DirtySox

3 minutes ago, South Side Fireworks Man said:

RH power is a position of strength for the Sox??  LOL!  A big portion of what little power the Sox have had this season was from Jake Burger.  The Sox lineup is starved for power.

Agree.  Burger is tailor made for homer friendly GRF.  He is also one of our most popular players. I would have dealt pr Vaughn instead, but maybe the marlins did not want Vaughn?

• Fire 1

8 minutes ago, SoxAce said:

Jake grew up a White Sox fan, lived his dream of reaching the big leagues and donning the White Sox jersey. Great kid. I wish him the absolute best. 

Was he a Sox fan as a kid? Thought it was Cards, but he was def a Blackhawks fan. Could be misremembering…not that it really matters 

2 hours ago, Greek-konerko said:

Pitching prospect jake eder

Eder is a lefty and Marlins #4 prospect, had TJ surgery in 2021. Had been doing well in Minors.  Hope he can deliver as we are giving up a 25 homer so far , popular Jake Burger in a homer friendly park, GRF, where are starved for homers.

The amount of people just casually glossing over a .279 OBP is a little crazy honestly. It’s been said 50 times already, yes Jake is an awesome guy all around and easy to root for, but it doesn’t change the fact that he just isn’t good at making contact with a baseball. If I’m not mistaken he’d be on pace to easily break the strike out record in a season if he was a full time player all year. 

Wish Burger the best and would happily eat crow if he improves over the next couple of years…but I do think this was the smart time to trade him. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

The amount of people just casually glossing over a .279 OBP is a little crazy honestly. It’s been said 50 times already, yes Jake is an awesome guy all around and easy to root for, but it doesn’t change the fact that he just isn’t good at making contact with a baseball. If I’m not mistaken he’d be on pace to easily break the strike out record in a season if he was a full time player all year. 

Wish Burger the best and would happily eat crow if he improves over the next couple of years…but I do think this was the smart time to trade him. 

Just in case.......

crow.jpg

15 minutes ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

Surely not worse than Moncada's first full season in terms of K rate.

And at least he has already proven he can be a Top Ten HR slugger simply by coaching himself up.

1 hour ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

I really think Burger will be a .725 ish OPS at best player moving forward unless he drastically improves his plate discipline.

You couple that with his bad defense at 3rd and I don't get the reluctance doing the deal. It reminds me when Avisaíl García hit .330 in 2017 every Sox fan knew his BABIP wasn't sustainable but noone wanted to move him. Well the next year his value completely cratered.

I think funny enough he was 26 or 27 then too. Here is the thing can Burger develop a better approach at age 28+ sure but it's pretty rare. I'll take my chances on the frontline pitching prospect instead.

Because if you hit on him you have a frontline starter for the next 6-7 years. If you correct Burger approach at the plate you at best have a good hitting 1B/DH valuable but not in the same category. We also have Vaughn and Eloy two guys who approaches at the plate and bat profiles project out to have much longer sustained careers in MLB. 

As far as I'm concerned we really didn't lose anything in the deal because Burger was not a longterm answer at 3rd and there isn't a spot at 1B and/or DH for him,

Edited by wrathofhahn
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, caulfield12 said:

The White Sox have sort of developed Sale (not really), Rodon and Chris Bassitt in a decade.

That's it.

And they will probably be implementing a new pitching lab (finally) with Katz (likely) leaving...so not much trust there in Hahn and Getz.

Go back earlier you can add McCarthy and Hudson....so five successes in almost two decades.

What about Giolito? Left for dead before coming to the Sox 

I’ve been a Sox fan for 7+ decades and I can’t remember feeling this bad about a guy being traded since they dealt Minnie Minoso to the Indians back in 1957. I felt bad when they traded Nellie Fox in 1964 but I understood that Little Nell was at the end of his career but Minnie wasn’t.

• Like 2
  • Fire 2

My dad has been a season ticket holder since the 70s. Says he will not be renewing this season as a result of this trade. Obviously it's death by a thousand cuts/straw that broke the camel's back. But either way its hilarious how if there is a way the Sox can spit in their own fans' faces, they will do it.

• Like 1
  • Fire 1

3 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

My dad has been a season ticket holder since the 70s. Says he will not be renewing this season as a result of this trade. Obviously it's death by a thousand cuts/straw that broke the camel's back. But either way its hilarious how if there is a way the Sox can spit in their own fans' faces, they will do it.

The cult following of Jake from a cohort of the fanbase is something to behold. I get it - super likable dude. It’s just really something. This is a fantastic trade. 

• Like 6

31 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

They have their work cut out for them to mend fences this off season. If they think they are going to be contenders in 2024, I’d love to know what their game plan is. It could be that they are delusional and maybe thinking that this was a fluke year with so many guys having down years and are going to bounce back with great years in 2024, good luck with that.

Edited by The Mighty Mite
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChiSox59 said:

The cult following of Jake from a cohort of the fanbase is something to behold. I get it - super likable dude. It’s just really something. This is a fantastic trade. 

I mean fantastic seems like a stretch. It seems at best what you would expect for Burger. Limitations aside, he will likely be a 2 war player with 5 years of control left. Dont think theres a reason to oversell it. The return seems fine but any one individual pitching prospect is going to struggle to be as valuable as Jake has been this season. You are trading for ceiling though. The direction of the trade is the much more concerning part for me regardless. 

Edited by Buehrle>Wood
  • Like 2

I very much doubt he averages 2WAR over the next five years.

Both Streamer and Zips in season calculations has his value between 0.2 WAR and 0.4 WAR this year

The reality is what he is doing currently isnt sustainable. Fan favorite aside this was a trade that had to be made wish him the best but he's gone and we made the correct call/bet by trading him. if he somehow corrects his approach at the plate and manages to sustain his success all the more power to him but his iso numbers right now are higher than the career ISO of Schwaber, Ohtani, and Alonso he is going to come down to earth at some point and unless his plate discipline and ability to put balls in play improve it isn't going to be pretty

Edited by wrathofhahn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, fathom said:

It’s a great trade. I also feel bad for Burger having to go to that large field.  Eder is a stud

I don't want to put you on the spot but obviously a lot of Sox fans didn't want to see Burger go. And someone mentioned ( totally unsubstantiated) that the Marlins wanted Eloy and they offered Burger.

Now there's your usual contingent of voices on each side of the issue claiming baseball smarts superiority over the other group .

The issue at hand if the trade was Eloy or Burger for Eder who do you give up. I'm getting a lot of Eloy is a better hitter responses that never address the real issue.

The real issue in my mind is and has always been Eloy's ability to stay on the field.

If he misses major time again in 2024 it could be his last year with the Sox. Considering that since 2021 he has missed a lot of time every season it's not outlandish to think it could happen again. If it does there's a very good chance the Sox don't pick up his 2025 $16.5M option. Personally I think it would've been better to bank on the possibility that Jake is very self motivated to improve and that 500 sporadic MLB ABs after 3 years off with injuries is not enough evidence to pigeon-hole him as a low BA low OBP guy. I think I would've rather had 5 more years of Jake at cheap prices  than I would have of a possible only 1 more year of Eloy.  How do you feel about it ? He's going to be real expensive for an oft injured DH type if they pick up those 2 option years.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, White Sox Park said:

Since I already watch the Marlins a lot, looking forward to seeing Jake hit some measuring tape shots down there.

Jake won’t have to worry about the weather so much, as he will be playing in a domed stadium.  However the wind won’t be as much of a factor as GRF and homers will be harder to come by.

1 hour ago, TheFutureIsNear said:

It was a good trade and a good time to trade him. Given that, people might be glossing over the small sample size OBP just as much as the people who are glossing over that he's had 500 AB's at the major league level and missed 3 very important years of development time. Let's not treat  88 games is the end all be all of his entire future baseball existence.

It'll be very interesting to see who has the better next 3 years of their career Burger, Eloy or Vaughn while taking into account that Burger was by far the cheapest option of the 3 moving forward.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

Of all of the dumb fucking s%*# this organization does, trading this 10 hit tool goof is the one thing that did it?

Our beloved broadcasters just recently were bemoaning the fact that one of the major problems the Sox have is being out-homered at home.  And what does Hahn do, trade away a thirty to forty homer a year player who has been a bright light in this dark season.  But what do you expect from are GM who traded away Fernando Tatis and Marcus Semien?

I hate this trade.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• bmags unpinned this topic