After an exhaustive search, Getz named GM/VP

bmags

14 minutes ago, chitownsportsfan said:

I don't care how successful you are, at 87 your mind has slowed considerably and moreover your thought process is extremely rigid.  Old dogs really can't learn new tricks. Maybe at 67, but 87? No way. He is what he is. I really do believe he thinks that the guys he has on hand like Getz might be the solution.

Exactly, that’s not being stupid that just being completely out of touch with reality, old age  

• Like 1

It always blows my mind that people don't believe it's possible to be stupid and rich at the same time. Despite all the evidence to the contrary...

Being really successful at one specific thing doesn't mean you're smarter than everyone else. It doesn't even mean you're smart. It's one of the biggest logical fallacies there is.

Reinsdorf made his fortune off of exploiting tax loopholes in real estate. He knew tax law, and was in the right place at the right time when it came to Frank Lyon Co. vs. United States. He got some investors to buy into his idea of tax shelters, and got rich off of it.

Nothing he has said or done outside of this specific thing tells me that he's a smart man. In fact, I think his money has given him delusions about how smart he is, and handicapped him the entire duration of his sports ownership. This is a guy who thought he was the reason the Bulls won all those championships... and it could be replicated without the greatest player of all time. Come on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
  • Fire 2

30 minutes ago, Rey21 said:

Considering how much money he’s made he’s definitely not stupid, he’s just completely tone def and doesn’t either realize or care how much bad taste is in our mouths now and will remain with these 2 as the hires. 

How much money you have is in no way shape or form directly correlated to your intelligence. Let's put that s%*# to bed reeeal quick. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Paulie4Pres said:

It always blows my mind that people don't believe it's possible to be stupid and rich at the same time. Despite all the evidence to the contrary...

Being really successful at one specific thing doesn't mean you're smarter than everyone else. It doesn't even mean you're smart. It's one of the biggest logical fallacies there is.

Reinsdorf made his fortune off of exploiting tax loopholes in real estate. He knew tax law, and was in the right place at the right time when it came to Frank Lyon Co. vs. United States. He got some investors to buy into his idea of tax shelters, and got rich off of it.

Nothing he has said or done outside of this specific thing tells me that he's a smart man. In fact, I think his money has given him delusions about how smart he is, and handicapped him the entire duration of his sports ownership. This is a guy who thought he was the reason the Bulls won all those championships... and it could be replicated without the greatest player of all time. Come on.

One thing you notice as you rise the corporate and financial ladders is a lot of people you've gone past are a hell of a lot smarter than the people you are joining and bumping shoulders with closer to the top

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Look at Ray Ray Run said:

One thing you notice as you rise the corporate and financial ladders is a lot of people you've gone past are a hell of a lot smarter than the people you are joining and bumping shoulders with closer to the top

Well,  unfortunately, a lot of the people at the top nowadays are there because of generational wealth, and nepotism. Rich get richer.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, palehose1 said:

I may be naive but I truly believe Getz Haber and Grifol are lame ducks. The President of Baseball Ops has to make those decisions, that was the dysfunctional arrangement before with no clear lines of authority, clubhouse snitches, blind loyalties, etc. Those factors are what breeds a bad culture. JR is stubborn but he is not stupid. I hear he is tired of this and wants to remove himself. And I don't believe that Dayton Moore is or will be the answer. You talk to White Sox insiders and these are some of the outcomes that lead to the disappointing seasons and JR is very aware, conforms what Lips sources have said. Again, I'm probably too much of an optimist but I dont think its White Sox business as usual. These were significant long overdue changes and I think there are more "surprises" to come. A new Prez of baseball operations will bring his own GM in. It won't be Getz.

I just think Jerry, on some level, knows that a proper external hire that knows what he/she is doing is going to immediately suggest that Jerry abandon his spending strategy completely, because it is completely ass-backwards to the point that you almost couldn’t design a better way to get less value for your dollar in today’s mlb talent market — but obviously Jerry doesn’t see it that way, and probably already heard those arguments in a more simpering/diplomatic way from Hahn, and clearly made the decision that he isn’t willing to change. So in his universe, he may actually believe he still knows best and just needs to shuffle the deck to appease the fans, and is looking to put another yes man in place. And if so, why not choose from his current stable?

The crazy thing with KC is that nearly every one of their top prospects and trades (like Cain and Escobar) hit over a 4-5 year period.

Perfect bullpen for a couple of years like the 2005 White Sox.

Perfect late inning strategies like Dyson and Gore for late innings.

But the rotation was not built to be sustainable and then Yordano Ventura died as well.  And the prospect pipeline went completely dry.  Resigned a fading Alex Gordon (almost lost him to the White Sox!)

1 hour ago, Eminor3rd said:

I just think Jerry, on some level, knows that a proper external hire that knows what he/she is doing is going to immediately suggest that Jerry abandon his spending strategy completely, because it is completely ass-backwards to the point that you almost couldn’t design a better way to get less value for your dollar in today’s mlb talent market — but obviously Jerry doesn’t see it that way, and probably already heard those arguments in a more simpering/diplomatic way from Hahn, and clearly made the decision that he isn’t willing to change. So in his universe, he may actually believe he still knows best and just needs to shuffle the deck to appease the fans, and is looking to put another yes man in place. And if so, why not choose from his current stable?

If the reports about KW and Hahn sabotaging each other on Harper and Machado are true, then Jerry may be willing to open the checkbook (for hitters, anyway).

5 minutes ago, almagest said:

If the reports about KW and Hahn sabotaging each other on Harper and Machado are true, then Jerry may be willing to open the checkbook (for hitters, anyway).

What reports are these

Just now, bmags said:

What reports are these

The comments made during Garfien's podcast yesterday with McGuffy, Ozzie and Podsednik.

McGuffy: Kenny was never around when the Sox lost 7-8 in a row. He got in the way. Both had to be fired. One guy wanted Bryce Harper, the other wanted to sign him, his way. One guy wanted Manny Machado. The other guy wanted to sign him to a cheap ass contract. Development was bad, drafting was bad. It was a complete disgrace.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lip Man 1 said:

The comments made during Garfien's podcast yesterday with McGuffy, Ozzie and Podsednik.

McGuffy: Kenny was never around when the Sox lost 7-8 in a row. He got in the way. Both had to be fired. One guy wanted Bryce Harper, the other wanted to sign him, his way. One guy wanted Manny Machado. The other guy wanted to sign him to a cheap ass contract. Development was bad, drafting was bad. It was a complete disgrace.

I've never seen those two more locked in together than their pursuit of Machado and the fallout.

8 minutes ago, Buehrle>Wood said:

I've never seen those two more locked in together than their pursuit of Machado and the fallout.

I mean, it was weird as s%*# that we know there has to be a Harper presentation at the UC and it just...ended? Like suddenly it was full court press for Machado despite Harper making more sense.

Or am I misremembering?

• Like 1

That's total bullshit that guys's a fucking idiot.  Kenny and Hahn both wanted Harper badly (maybe the only player they ever agreed on) but Hahn fucked it up when he thought it was a good idea to put his hero Boras and Reinsdorf in a room together to negotiate the deal. It took about 30 seconds for them to start screaming at each other and that was the end of that. They pivoted to Machado after it was obvious Reinsdorf was never going to sign Harper. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Quin said:

I mean, it was weird as s%*# that we know there has to be a Harper presentation at the UC and it just...ended? Like suddenly it was full court press for Machado despite Harper making more sense.

Or am I misremembering?

Yeah that part, true. Not sure what happened there. Harper was definitely the right call then. But the whole Machado saga and after they seemed to be talking to the press together. Not sure what to make of any of it other than glad they're both gone.

Just now, Quin said:

Or am I misremembering?

That's what I recall, too. Big Harper presentation at the UC (that leaked when it wasn't supposed to IIRC), Harper talked about wanting to play here, and then nothing until they apparently shifted focus to Machado, who was definitely worth going after but was the worse fit based on having Moncada to play third. My assumption at the time was the offer was so awful for Bryce that he said "don't even bother with another one", but that never sat right with me. If there was some internal drama and lack of alignment then that makes more sense why they seemed to shift gears out of nowhere. I'd guess Hahn wanted Harper and Kenny wanted Machado and they sabotaged each other.

4 minutes ago, Harold's Leg Lift said:

That's total bullshit that guys's a fucking idiot.  Kenny and Hahn both wanted Harper badly (maybe the only player they ever agreed on) but Hahn fucked it up when he thought it was a good idea to put his hero Boras and Reinsdorf in a room together to negotiate the deal. It took about 30 seconds for them to start screaming at each other and that was the end of that. They pivoted to Machado after it was obvious Reinsdorf was never going to sign Harper. 

That's just as stupid as KW & Rick sabotaging each other, so it checks out.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Quin said:

Or am I misremembering?

Collusion with the Phillies perhaps?

Edited by Bob Sacamano

• Quin changed the title to After an exhaustive search, Getz named GM/VP