Sox place Clevinger on waivers

soxfan49

20 minutes ago, Milkman delivers said:

I’m factoring in buyouts. Clevinger definitely has one and I assume some of the other guys do as well.

Lopez and Giolito wouldn't as they were in their last years of arb. Same would go for Hunter Renfroe, Harrison Bader, Dominic Leone and Jose Cisnero. 

As for older vets who have been confirmed to have been placed on waivers: Randall Grichuk, Matt Moore, and Carlos Carrasco do not have buyouts.

Edit: of course, the list of players is probably bigger than actually reported though and there could be guys with buyouts.

Edited by Bob Sacamano
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Y2Jimmy0 said:

Clevinger will absolutely decline his side of the option and become a free agent. He gets $4 million with the buyout anyway. There's no reason to lock in for $8 million. He can get more than $4 million on the market. 

Have to be on a roster by 9/1 for playoff eligibility 

He'd need to get more than $8M on the open market, not $4M.  I think there is a small chance both sides pick it up.  Clevinger locks in $8M in extra dollars for 2024 and gets another year of the passage of time away from his DV allegations.  That at least has to be part of the calculus here, there are definitely teams that won't touch him with a 10 foot pole, we just don't know how many. If he goes unclaimed today, I think that is at least some indication teams don't want his baggage, though obviously the price tag is significant with the buyout as well.  There is at least some intrigue there, imo.   

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Superstar Lamar said:

what has grandal done that he doesn't deserve this same fate?

22 hours ago, Timmy U said:

They knew no chance anyone grabbed him.

Grandal almost certainly is on waivers too. These aren’t fully public. 

Just now, Bob Sacamano said:

The timing of his contract including a mutual option with the allegations and being injury prone makes this feel like less of a slam dunk.

yeah, though he's largely been healthy, and tbh the placeholder amount you could put on any decently healthy starter in free agency has been $10 million 

like look at what this oft-injured pitcher pulled after becoming a decent #3

https://www.mlb.com/news/jameson-taillon-cubs-deal

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Bob Sacamano said:

Will he opt out?

I think he has to.

If he Opts out, he gets $4 million and if he has a strong finish will almost surely get another contract that, along with the $4 million from opt out, would exceed what he would make if he opts in.

19 hours ago, ChiSox59 said:

He'd need to get more than $8M on the open market, not $4M.  I think there is a small chance both sides pick it up.  Clevinger locks in $8M in extra dollars for 2024 and gets another year of the passage of time away from his DV allegations.  That at least has to be part of the calculus here, there are definitely teams that won't touch him with a 10 foot pole, we just don't know how many. If he goes unclaimed today, I think that is at least some indication teams don't want his baggage, though obviously the price tag is significant with the buyout as well.  There is at least some intrigue there, imo.   

16 hours ago, Bob Sacamano said:

The timing of his contract including a mutual option with the allegations and being injury prone makes this feel like less of a slam dunk.

7 hours ago, Balta1701 said:

No, he clearly will not. If teams will not pick him up right now or trade for him, he will not get a single contract offer in the US this offseason.

If Clevinger opts in, he gets $8 million. If he opts out, he’ll get $4 million and can easily make $4 million more. The White Sox likely decline as well. He won’t be on the 2024 White Sox 

Just now, Buehrle>Wood said:

I think he opts in. Nobody wants him. 8 million isn't a lot on the open market for his performance but he's been passed over twice. More of a question on if the Sox opt in. They're paying him 4 million anyways.

Their rotation is a mess. I know alot of people just want him gone and I get that but I don't see how the Sox don't opt in. If he is healthy for the 1st half of the season, I bet he could be traded then. I think much of the reason he did not go this year is that he was injured for a good chunk of the season. He has pitched well but was out for awhile.

3 hours ago, wegner said:

Their rotation is a mess. I know alot of people just want him gone and I get that but I don't see how the Sox don't opt in. If he is healthy for the 1st half of the season, I bet he could be traded then. I think much of the reason he did not go this year is that he was injured for a good chunk of the season. He has pitched well but was out for awhile.

If we're willing to take the risk of him deciding to shoot a woman and using "Another one bites the dust" as his walkout song the next day, then we should be smarter about it than this.

No one in baseball is willing to trade for him when he was due $6.5 million after August 1 (with the possibility of asking the White Sox to kick in f funds) or $5.25 million for September and October as a waiver claim, and that's when he has a 2.15 ERA since June 1 in 9 starts (3.64 FIP so legitimately solid performance). No one else in MLB wants to have anything to do with him, nor should they.

Decline the option, pay him the buyout, offer him like $1 million. You barely have fans left, you're probably not going to lose $7 million just by alienating more fans by keeping him.

43 minutes ago, Balta1701 said:

If we're willing to take the risk of him deciding to shoot a woman and using "Another one bites the dust" as his walkout song the next day, then we should be smarter about it than this.

No one in baseball is willing to trade for him when he was due $6.5 million after August 1 (with the possibility of asking the White Sox to kick in f funds) or $5.25 million for September and October as a waiver claim, and that's when he has a 2.15 ERA since June 1 in 9 starts (3.64 FIP so legitimately solid performance). No one else in MLB wants to have anything to do with him, nor should they.

Decline the option, pay him the buyout, offer him like $1 million. You barely have fans left, you're probably not going to lose $7 million just by alienating more fans by keeping him.

People keep signing and trading for Aroldis Chapman. I contend if Clevinger had been healthy all year, he would already be gone via trade. I will not be surprised if he's back next season.

22 minutes ago, wegner said:

People keep signing and trading for Aroldis Chapman. I contend if Clevinger had been healthy all year, he would already be gone via trade. I will not be surprised if he's back next season.

If Clevinger hadn't beaten up a woman last year and gotten away with it, he'd have been claimed via waivers.

If that didn't exist - $5.25 million for a starting pitcher who is putting up an ERA in the 3s, no long term commitment and no prospect price, for the stretch run and playoffs? If that had been available for the 2021 White Sox I'd have been screaming to pick it up in every post. Like begging them to do so, casually offering favors of a certain type beyond just spending money if they picked it up level.